IGNORED

Open Minds Open Hearts

formergothardite

Well I read two brochures that said the opposite :roll:

Honestly, it's not like random, biased propaganda brochures are a reliable source of information, so excuse me if I'm not convinced.

Hmmm, what do ya bet that "brochure" was actually a Christian tract?

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease can cause adhesions and scarring in the fallopian tubes that can increase the chance of infertility or ectopic pregnancy. It can be caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia (or both), but gonorrhea can cause sudden, very painful symptoms (leading to faster treatment and therefore, less scarring) while chlamydia causes fewer symptoms, allowing the infection to linger a longer, more destructive time.

But you can get gonorrhea or chlamydia and not ever get PID. And there are other STDs that do not cause PID (herpes or trichomonas have no effect on fertility). And you can get PID and go on to have zero problems with fertility or ectopic pregnancy. And you can get an ectopic pregnancy without ever having PID, or an IUD. Biology is not moral. Not only is it terribly inconsistent, what about getting chlamydia makes someone deserve to have an ectopic pregnancy? Nothing. Sometimes people get in cars, and they end up in car wrecks. We don't consider it God's punishment for driving.

With one fallopian tube gone, OMOH is half as fertile as she was before--simple math there.

I don't know about fallopian tubes, but if one ovary is gone the other sometimes compensates and releases an egg every month, rather than every other month. Given that women's bodies have way too many eggs already, the woman's fertility isn't really compromised.

I learned (in nursing school, not SOTDR) that chlaymidia in particular increases a woman's risk of an ectopic pregnancy because it can cause scarring which can cause the fertilized egg to get stuck. That was the only STI that was mentioned, and abortion was never mentioned as a cause. IUDs are the only contraceptive that increases the risk of ectopics, but like you said, it's incredibly rare. The vast majority of ectopics are for unknown reasons and blaming women for them is horrifically sick.

Thanks for providing information from a legitimate source :P I think the woman-blaming for ectopic pregnancies is just one more example of slut-shaming and blaming women for wanting agency over their own bodies.

I have a feeling all your explanations that go against what her pro-life propaganda pieces tell her will fall on deaf ears.

Why is she pestering you, formerGothardite?

I don't know about fallopian tubes, but if one ovary is gone the other sometimes compensates and releases an egg every month, rather than every other month. Given that women's bodies have way too many eggs already, the woman's fertility isn't really compromised.

True. I'm no expert, but I don't think that would happen in the case of two ovaries but one fallopian tube. Both ovaries will still be popping out eggs but the body doesn't know that the fallopian tube isn't connected anymore and the affected side's egg will just hang out in the abdomen before being resorbed by the body.

kb2, thanks for mentioning gonorrhea. I'd totally forgotten that it also caused PID. I'm pretty sure some fundies out there would argue that car wrecks are punishment for godless heathens who drive, though. Bad things never happen to good, godly people, right?

I have no idea why she decided to send me a pm. I had mentioned on that thread of hers that I had had an eptopic pregnancy, she sent me a message then wanting all the details to see if I did everything the pro-life way, I guess. I asked her to not pm me because I wasn't going to go into all the details with her. And then this morning I got that message. She said she thought of me and I guess she wanted to share that info about why people can get an eptopic pregnancy (not her of course), perhaps. I really have no idea.

If she was trying to convert me into thinking a fetus is a baby, then she did a bad job of it.

So she wanted to know if you had a Godly enough medical emergency, and then reassure you that it was probably your fault anyway.

You will know they are Christian by their love :roll:

I have no idea why she decided to send me a pm. I had mentioned on that thread of hers that I had had an eptopic pregnancy, she sent me a message then wanting all the details to see if I did everything the pro-life way, I guess. I asked her to not pm me because I wasn't going to go into all the details with her. And then this morning I got that message. She said she thought of me and I guess she wanted to share that info about why people can get an eptopic pregnancy (not her of course), perhaps. I really have no idea.

If she was trying to convert me into thinking a fetus is a baby, then she did a bad job of it.

formergothardite: I am sorry this woman has bothered you in this way. I am glad that you are not letting her get under your skin.

If they catch it REALLY REALLY early it doesn't. They can give you basically the abortion pill and the fetus will reabsorb. Or they'll do a laproscopic procedure. Happened to a good friend of mine~ she ended up doing the pill and it was successful. She got successfully pregnant a few months later and carried to term.

Thanks, Tchotchkes, for this info. I hate feeling all old and out of the loop!

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease can cause adhesions and scarring in the fallopian tubes that can increase the chance of infertility or ectopic pregnancy. It can be caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia (or both), but gonorrhea can cause sudden, very painful symptoms (leading to faster treatment and therefore, less scarring) while chlamydia causes fewer symptoms, allowing the infection to linger a longer, more destructive time.

But you can get gonorrhea or chlamydia and not ever get PID. And there are other STDs that do not cause PID (herpes or trichomonas have no effect on fertility). And you can get PID and go on to have zero problems with fertility or ectopic pregnancy. And you can get an ectopic pregnancy without ever having PID, or an IUD. Biology is not moral. Not only is it terribly inconsistent, what about getting chlamydia makes someone deserve to have an ectopic pregnancy? Nothing. Sometimes people get in cars, and they end up in car wrecks. We don't consider it God's punishment for driving.

Exactly.

Ectopic pregnancies are treated by how far along they are. When I was doing my OBGYN rotation we had a woman test positive for pregnancy and the doc always ran serial betas. This measures how quickly the hCG (pregnancy hormone) is increasing, since it usually double every 2-3 days. Her's was not doubling so the doc suspected an ectopic, ultrasound confirmed this. She was completely asymptomatic but we knew it was a matter of time. She was given Methotrexate and the embryo stopped developing and the body was able to process the abortion without anymore clinical intervention.

If the embryo is too large for methotrexate then surgery is the next option. Docs will try to preserve the tube but often that simply isn't possible.

This...person doesn't know her ass from her elbow and would do well to STFU. Ectopics can happen to anyone, this includes women who were virgins on their wedding night. So she can take her innuendoes and shove them up her ass. I am sorry she is harassing you and she needs to go grow a heart.

For the record I think an abortion is the only answer when you have a fetus still 'alive' and an ectopic pregnancy and I don't judge. I just wanted to be clear it is an abortion and all those laws that talk about abortion? Yeah they apply there as well. Get rid of risk to life and limb provisions and bye by legal methotrexate or other ectopic treatments,

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread on her I thought I would bump this up so that folks could take advantage of her Valentines day sex advice.

Most people having casual sex are not giving themselves completely to someone, they are just trying to get something for themselves. They say they love each other but love is a lot different than lust.

I've had great sex with folks I didn't love, nothing is wrong with lust and acting on it if it is consensual between adults. First ye do no harm Chica. Love doesn't have to have anything to do with consensual fun between adults. You can have lust with and without love Amy.

Rather than start a new thread on her I thought I would bump this up so that folks could take advantage of her Valentines day sex advice.

I've had great sex with folks I didn't love, nothing is wrong with lust and acting on it if it is consensual between adults. First ye do no harm Chica. Love doesn't have to have anything to do with consensual fun between adults. You can have lust with and without love Amy.

Amy,

Is there a problem with just having sex for pleasure? Also, let me be clear I have been married for 15 years and I have never given myself completely to anyone. I am not a gift, I am a human being.

I have never claimed to love any of the men I've had sex with, and they didn't claim to love me. It was just a fun thing we did together that we both enjoyed. Even if/when I do fall in love, I'll still be own person and he will be his own person.

Archived