IGNORED

UK Mega Family - The Hanns

Lianachu

Has anyone heard of this family? I just came across them in Fabulous magazine. They have 12 kids and are open to more. Apparently they're going to be showcased on a new Channel 4 show called 15 Kids and Counting.

I wasn't going to post here until I saw that they were Mormons who don't believe in birth control and also that the mother admits to relying on her two eldest daughters to run the home. Sounds familiar.

I don't know how many but there are definitely Mormons in the UK. There's a church up the road from me.

I found it interesting how the oldest two daughters are studying/working but still seem to have a lot of responsibility at home.

Here in the US Mormon girls go away to college (BYU) to get their Mrs.

Haha, so I hear. I don't think we have enough Mormons for that here, let alone a heavy concentration of them at one university. Apparently the Hann parents met at church so I guess that's what the kids would do too, if they're planning to marry within the faith.

The dad cooks most of their meals. That's something you'd never see in the Duggar or Bates family. He also has a honest job not something like Jimbob where he owns property but doesn't actually have at typical job.

The dad cooks most of their meals. That's something you'd never see in the Duggar or Bates family. He also has a honest job not something like Jimbob where he owns property but doesn't actually have at typical job.

I can't believe he works 12 hour shifts and still cooks! When does that man do anything but work and sleep?!

Do you know if C4 streams and if I'll be able to get this show in the US?

Mormons don't have a problem with working traditional jobs or father's preparing meals etc. I've got good Mormon friends, both parents worked outside the home, she owned a rather good bookstore and he was a professor (public uni) until retirement. 11 kids, one was my roomie for about 4 years. I still spend time with the family and am always invited to reunions.

I can't believe he works 12 hour shifts and still cooks! When does that man do anything but work and sleep?!

But shouldn't life be like that if you're the father of that many children? I think only Duggar and other lazy fundies get to have a dozen kids and have so much time to relax.

But shouldn't life be like that if you're the father of that many children? I think only Duggar and other lazy fundies get to have a dozen kids and have so much time to relax.

Yep, I guess so. I just don't see what enjoyment he gets out of life when it doesn't sound like he even spends much time with his kids.

Well clearly he also has quite a bit of sex. :)

Yep, I guess so. I just don't see what enjoyment he gets out of life when it doesn't sound like he even spends much time with his kids.

Perhaps they cook with him? Also I would assume it would be like my friend who is a nurse and works four twelve hour days a week. That means there are three days were he can spend time with the children.

Question, what does the mom do? If her oldest daughters run the house and her hubby does the bread winning and bread making...

I don't know how many but there are definitely Mormons in the UK. There's a church up the road from me.

I found it interesting how the oldest two daughters are studying/working but still seem to have a lot of responsibility at home.

There are a few...I even know one myself! Though she's definitely more liberal than the average Mormon girl.

Here is a link from June: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Dundee ... ntary.html

It suggests they are Mormon. I didn't even know there were Mormons in the UK.

ETA: eldest daughter is at university so they are not quite 'regular' fundies.

Yeah, we have mormons. The UK has 2 temples; one in London and one in Leicester (I think, correct me if I am wrong). There are plenty of mormon chapels, there is one about 3 miles from where I live and we get the obligatory once yearly knock on the door from them.

We don't have any FLDS, we're pretty thin on the ground with fundies generally.

I knew a Mormon girl at school but she was never really into it and always complained about the double standards for boys and girls. She eventually left when she was about fifteen and became an atheist. I think she went because her mother was Mormon (and American). Her dad was never really into it, I don't think.

I find it weird that people here in the UK (and indeed other non-American countries) follow Mormonism. The whole thing seems to me like someone trying to justify why we should basically worship America and feel good about it. And the other stuff thrown in just looks bizarre.

Mormons don't have a problem with working traditional jobs or father's preparing meals etc. I've got good Mormon friends, both parents worked outside the home, she owned a rather good bookstore and he was a professor (public uni) until retirement. 11 kids, one was my roomie for about 4 years. I still spend time with the family and am always invited to reunions.

channel 4 does streams, its called 4od: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od. IT's airing on the 17 Jan at 9pm. Hopefully you can watch the program after it airs.

Here's a bit more about the show.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/prog ... d-counting.

I started reading the Sullivan blog after she wrote a piece for the Jeubs, but she doesn't mention their Catholicism very much, so I don't know how it manifests apart from no birth control. I think their daughter serves as an altar girl, which wouldn't have been allowed around here when I was growing up and seems pretty un-fundy.

I also know a few Mormon families like that. My uncle's ex-wife had Mormon relatives who I got to know well and one I'm connected to on Facebook. A couple of women work and the fathers also do cooking and cleaning. There are some Mormons who are against women working outside the home. There is a Mormon blogger who I follow and all of her sisters except for one are SAHM's. The blogger is a quadriplegic but before becoming a quadriplegic, she was planning to become a nurse.

Archived