IGNORED

What happens to Quiverfull family if the father dies?

mrs

Guest Anonymous
Are we assuming Daddy never had any jobs that paid into Soc. Sec? If so, the family is eligible for survivors' benefits.

For some of these families, like the Anasts, that would be very difficult. Not only are Gabe and Rebecca Anast in a union that is not legally recognized as a marriage, but since their children were homebirthed, I doubt that they have birth certificates. I'm sure that there are many other fundy families like the Anasts.

I don't know that Gabe Anast has ever had a job that paid into SS.

There is a maximum that the government will pay in survivor's benefits--I think it is $2800 per month, but I could be wrong. Anyway, that might be a windfall for some families, but for many it will not be enough. Depending on the size of the household, and how much the dad actually paid into social security, they might be under the poverty level.

Also, fundies are against government programs like these so the women might be encouraged to *not* get the help their family needs.

My husband and I have maintained our life insurance policies despite being poor. It's worth it just for the peace of mind. If anything happens to me, my husband can afford to stay home with the kids, he'll actually have more income than we do now. And vice-versa.

She named her AfricanAmerican daughter "Brown Sugar" WTF? :shock:

:shock: indeed.

There's always the Maxwell's OneTonRamp programme. THey have a spiel about how they encourage single mothers to get 'qualified' to work from home.

She named her AfricanAmerican daughter "Brown Sugar" WTF? :shock:

Yep, and takes her to Civil War reenactments and talks about how right the south was. lazydranch8.blogspot.com/2009/03/our-weekend.html

(there is also another post I found when looking for this one where she took them to see the remnants of the branch davidian compound to talk to her children about how bad it is when government gets too involved. Plus others about Stonewall Jackson, ect...)

Oh, and she was kicked out of Liberty U.

Yep, and takes her to Civil War reenactments and talks about how right the south was. lazydranch8.blogspot.com/2009/03/our-weekend.html

(there is also another post I found when looking for this one where she took them to see the remnants of the branch davidian compound to talk to her children about how bad it is when government gets too involved. Plus others about Stonewall Jackson, ect...)

Oh, and she was kicked out of Liberty U.

Thanks Wolfie, I've heard tell of these events but never went to her blog. She is a crazy. I'll not read more though, I don't like my head exploding right before bedtime.

Well, this is the Jewish fundie version in an Israeli context, but here is one person's experience. The husband in this case didn't die, but it sounds like he and his wife had been running or employed by a Jewish outreach organization that folded when the economy got bad. They're back on their feet now, I believe, but it sounds like they had a very rough time of it for quite a while.

The church can't take care of you if you are just a COTDRT/home church with a few other families.

Good luck...

COTDRT- I believe the correct term is COHB (Church of Holy Basement).

What will happen to the Maxwell's if Steve passes? I don't know if the older boys can take on supporting Ma Maxwell and the SAHD's.

What will happen to the Maxwell's if Steve passes? I don't know if the older boys can take on supporting Ma Maxwell and the SAHD's.

They seem to be barely managing as it is.

Are we assuming Daddy never had any jobs that paid into Soc. Sec? If so, the family is eligible for survivors' benefits.

IIRC, quiverfull dads are encouraged to be self-employed. I think it's likely that many are not paying into Social Security.

IIRC, quiverfull dads are encouraged to be self-employed. I think it's likely that many are not paying into Social Security.

When you are self employed, you are suppose to pay double into social security (your "side" and your employers "side").

On the topic of survivor's social security benefits, I think some fundie/QF families may take the benefits and some self-employed fundie men are ok with paying into the system. There are also some fundie men who aren't self-employed.

Living on survivor's social security benefits can be difficult for many reasons. I have a relative in California who received sss benefits for her two kids after her husband died. She worked in addition to receiving benefits because there was no way she could make it in Cali on sss benefits. I know a few other people also worked in addition to receiving sss benefits for their children.

Archived