IGNORED

The Hipster Fundamentalist /Mark Driscoll MERGED

GryffindorFTW

Well, it is a big deal if he thinks that anal sex is only permissible for heterosexual couples. Really, why is a wife using a dildo on her husband better than a man having anal sex with a man? That makes no sense.

It's a pretty huge difference, isn't it? I mean, the part they object to is the man-on-man stuff, whether it's something straight couples typically do or not.

I really can't stand Mark Driscoll. I should probably stay away from reading this stuff for my own mental health, but it really concerns me. I read a book of his a couple years ago before I knew who he was and I realized pretty quickly that he was dangerous. I think he has more influence than the typical fundamentalist.

Actually, I totally believe that a woman took a list to her pastor. Some people, once they convert, get really really anxious about what is ok and what isn't in all aspects of their lives.

What Mark should have done, if he had proper boundaries, is tell her to put her list away because what they did in their bedroom was none of his business, as long as the two of them were comfortable with it. He could have possibly asked some general questions about had either of them been sexually assaulted, did they need a referral to some kind of TRAINED counselor/other medical professional, etc. He could even tell them to pray about those questions and do as they felt God wanted them to, if he felt like being extra spiritual.

Because really, he needs to butt out (heh), and by listening to those questions he's putting himself on a power trip AND reinforcing the couples' mistaken view that they need to consult with their pastor on every detail of their lives. But that would assume that he's a good pastor, which he is not.

Your husband cares about your feelings? He must not be a real man then. :roll:

Oh, he's totally not. I think I would boot him out the door if he acted like the "real man" stereotype on these blogs.

Also, why does Mark's "need" for his wife to have long hair trump her need to care for herslf in her new stage of life???? I don't think there's anything wrong with saying (nicely) that he would prefer her hair a different way, but how about working together to find something that works for both of them????

Oh wait. That would assume that they had a companionable marriage and that he isn't a tyrant. I forgot.

Why does her hair need to "work" for him at all? That's my question. It's her hair. She's a person, not an object. She has to wear it, wash it, fix it, deal with it. He merely has to look at it.

While I would be okay with my husband saying he didn't like my haircut, I would not for a second put up with any implication that his opinion should change my choice.

I really think this is why my husband won't say he doesn't like it. Maybe he is worried about my feelings, or maybe (and I just realized this) he thinks if he says he doesn't like it I might feel pressured to change it and he doesn't want to pressure me to change something I obviously like.

I would never ever ever ever think of pressuring my husband about his grooming or his clothing choices, and not because he's a man but because he's an adult and I love him and I want him to have freedom to express himself.

I guess I'm just thinking that if hair is really that important to him, he should think about it from her perspective, too, not just his own selfish desires. Like, if what she wanted was having easy-to-style hair, and he really liked pixie cuts, it could ba win-win for both of them.

Ultimately, though, it is her hair and her body.

Truth be told, my husband actually likes my hair only one way, and that's the way it was when he met me. However, he won't and has never said that. It's something I just know. He would never say he doesn't like my hair; the most he has ever says is, "Hey, something new! Do you like it?", and smiles lovingly (or sympathetically) to my response.

Like most women, I have worn my hair in a zillion different styles over the past 30 years, some trendy, some not so much, some short, some medium, and some long. I have worn my hair in my natural red/strawberry color, and I have worn it very blonde.

Lucky for him, my most tried and true style is just a somewhat shorter version of my hair when he met me (it was halfway down my back then, and now I don't let it get much past my shoulders). I wear my hair for me, and for the way a certain style makes me feel. I care about what he thinks, of course, because I love him, but I would question his level of respect for me if he somehow started questioning my personal choices with regard to my hair (or clothing or whatever).

I can't stand Mark Driscoll and think he's a total pig of a person.

Yes, there was. Tim could not resist Mark's manly manhood. But he's since changed his tune, and I can only imagine that his minions are emailing him frantically over this one, begging for a post.

As for Doug Wilson, he just had Driscoll speak at one of his events a few months ago. His blog commenters were not happy about it.

Driscoll is still part of the so-called Gospel Coalition (http://thegospelcoalition.org/about/council-members) which includes some major asshats, previously discussed at FJ: Voddie Baucham, CJ Mahaney, Al Mohler & John Piper. It will be interesting what their book reviews look like, and even more interesting if they don't review it at all.

I think my pastor would pass out and DIE on the spot if anyone took a list of sex acts and asked him if they were OK. Then again, he is just not a perv or the type to even want to know what others do in the privacy of their bedrooms.

So here is the first chapter: [link=]http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/75155553?access_key=key-1ie4tvtibidzn1u5kpw4[/link]

It won't let you c/p, but basically, they get together in HS, he gets into Christianity in college (she had been a pastor's kid but pretty slackerish about spirituality before) and suddenly start abstaining until marriage. She apparently had some issues after they got married and started having sex again.

My previously free and fun girlfriend was suddenly my frigid and fearful wife.

So, she was abused as a child, experienced some kind of positive sexual autonomy as a teenager only to end up with controlling douchbag who dragged her back into patriarchal, repressive religion. He stopped having sex with her for awhile and then married her and expected her to have sex all the time and is surprised that she had some baggage. :?

Wahhhh???? I'd never heard of this bloke before today and I'm shocked and disgusted that a "Christian" man would write such vile things. I think that what goes on between two consenting adults is JUST THAT and I wonder if this asshat thought about his wife before he gave the green light in printing their backdoor-activities. I personally can't stand the whole hipster-cool pastor thing.... and this guy reminded me of this video:

Anal sex on the wife + dildo on the husband's bunghole + eyes closed = pretending it's a dude with you.

Pray the gay away, indeed. :roll:

I call bullshit. Who takes a list of sexually explicit activities in for approval by one's pastor?!

I think you underestimate how much post-marital sex is idolized in Evangelical/Fundie-super-light 18-30 year olds.

Wilson's (first) post about it is up:

dougwils.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9248:some-preliminary-thoughts-on-qreal-marriageq&catid=84:sex-and-culture

Wilson's (first) post about it is up:

dougwils.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9248:some-preliminary-thoughts-on-qreal-marriageq&catid=84:sex-and-culture

I'm interested in what the PP is gonna say about it :lol:

Hmm... This is an interesting article/interview, because when Grace is asked her opinion on gay marriage, she declines to answer. And even Mark is rather vague here, don't you think?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... cmpid=2628

On the day I got on the phone with the Driscolls, Gov. Chris Gregoire had just announced that she would put forward legislation to legalize marriage for gay and lesbian couples.

"The majority of people in the state of Washington hold certain values and beliefs, so that seems to be the majority opinion," Driscoll told me. "We would hold a minority view."

And Grace? Would you care to weigh in?

"I don't think so," she said. "But thank you."

Her answer is strange. Why did she thank the woman for asking a question? This makes me wonder if her view is different than her husband's.

Lemme get this straight. The Driscolls have, by their own admission, had a super crappy marriage for decades. Mark would argue that it was also virtually sexless, though they've managed to have 5 children and 1 miscarriage.

Then, he realized he was working too hard, cut back on some stuff, got a housekeeper, and started having back-door sex, and now everything hunky-dory?????

I'm supposed to take marriage advice from them....... why???

(also I feel bad for his kids; they've probably heard way more about their parents' sex life than they ever wanted to)

Ick.

Driscoll is apparently going to be on Dr. Drew on Monday night defending his crap.

I don't usually watch Dr Drew. What kind of an interviewer is he? Does the Dr. ask tough questions? Do you think that he will ask Mark about his stance on homosexuality?

I don't usually watch Dr Drew. What kind of an interviewer is he? Does the Dr. ask tough questions? Do you think that he will ask Mark about his stance on homosexuality?

I don't watch him regularly, but if I see a preview for an interesting or controversial guest, I tune in. I have seen Dr. Drew go off on a guest or two. I can't imagine the homosexuality issue will not come up and I'm betting Dr. Drew will argue with him about it.

Archived