IGNORED

Nursing home didn't want Stevie's gingerbread houses...

Justme

Steve, leave those poor elderly alone!

Re. Gingerbread houses; Can they be saved for display year after year? Or do you have to eat (I assume they are edible, right?) or get rid of them shortly after you make them?

P.S. Show of hands as to who is surprised Steve and Teri did the very boring church?

ETA: Do you think the Maxwell's nursing home would be interested in displaying FJ's Jinger Village?

Figures they wanted to display them at the elderly's nursing home. God forbid the Maxwells do something fun just for the hell of it.

Where does it say the nursing home didn't want them? In the comments?(I didn't read those) At least the kids are creative,the church sucked and of course we new Steve was in charge of that!

Steve, leave those poor elderly alone!

Re. Gingerbread houses; Can they be saved for display year after year? Or do you have to eat (I assume they are edible, right?) or get rid of them shortly after you make them?

P.S. Show of hands as to who is surprised Steve and Teri did the very boring church?

ETA: Do you think the Maxwell's nursing home would be interested in displaying FJ's Jinger Village?

I believe you have to over bake it for it to be stiff enough to hold it's shape. They could spray them with shellac to preserve them.

When my 2nd and 3rd sons took 4-H cake decorating they had to do gingerbread houses. They had a grand time and loved their houses so much that they kept them for years. Well my 2nd son kept his until he went off to the navy and I think my 3rd son ate his a year or 2 later. :shock: :? :pray: We never had a bug problem either but then again I try to avoid going into my teenage sons rooms for more than just olfactory safety.

I'm sure they just didn't have the room to display it at the nursing home. Plus there are usually at least a resident or two who will pick at stuff like this. When ever we had a food drive at the nursing home I worked at, stray cans were always turning up in one particular resident's room. :-)

Space is at a premium, and to have these things set up in displays so they won't get knocked down, picked at, etc is very difficult.

Not to mention, if I was the director at that particular facility, I wouldn't let them hold 'church' anyway!

it was actually kind of them to offer them, but I agree that you'd probably get one or two residents nibbling/dismantling (shellacked or not), and they take up a lot of room.

Plus there are potential liability issues with stuff made outside of the nursing home and brought it. They don't know what went into it, or if proper sanitary procedures were followed and if one of the residents became ill from eating it and died there could be nasty consequences for the home.

Do you think the Maxwell's nursing home would be interested in displaying FJ's Jinger Village?

Wait, what? Did I miss another fun thread? Because I'm imagining this really cool Free Jinger(bread) Christmas Festivus village. It includes, among other things, a Planned Parenthood, a well-respected university and a bakery for all those flounce cakes.

Wait, what? Did I miss another fun thread? Because I'm imagining this really cool Free Jinger(bread) Christmas Festivus village. It includes, among other things, a Planned Parenthood, a well-respected university and a bakery for all those flounce cakes.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6206 In there somewhere. I got dibs on the hospital, I'm working on the layout all ready.

:clap:

Love it, totally LOL!! Let's do it!! :lol:

Off topic, but it looks like Reversal Anna has had a haircut - she looks pretty with curls. :)

I agree, and I think Mary looks really pretty in that photo too. Something's changed, maybe it's having her hair draped forward? She looks like a normal kid.

I'm sure they just didn't have the room to display it at the nursing home. Plus there are usually at least a resident or two who will pick at stuff like this.

Ha.

I spent a year at an elementary school in Washington, DC. Fourth grade. We had to make dioramas or similar about ancient Greece. I made a model of the Trojan horse, from paper mache and Tinkertoys, complete with soldiers coming out of the inside (bought some plastic "Indian" figures complete with bow and arrows, and repainted 'em). One of my classmates made the Parthenon... out of glued together sugar cubes.

All was fine. Parthenon kid got a good grade even, it was a good model.

But then... some other kid ATE PART OF IT.

Never found out who it was...

As for "permanent cookies" though I know you can make salt dough, it rolls like (and looks like!) sugar cookie dough but it's full of salt and when you bake it the "cookies" are permanently hard, even though they look like cookies.

When I had to make the Xmas ornaments for my office party one year, I used salt dough (made star cookies) then spray-painted them silver and shellacked them so they were shiny and waterproof. Each had a hole poked before baking to put in a thread to hang them by. Worked great.

So I'm thinking at least for the "building" part, you could maybe make the "cookies" out of salt dough if you want a permanent house. The normal dough is cream colored (though if you bake enough you can get a nice wooden color) but you can put food coloring in if you want some other color, plus of course paint.

The nursing home residents would have to be pretty damn fast to get a bite of our gingerbread village. We make milk carton ones with little house shaped cartons that the kids get in school lunches, and 'glue' graham crackers or gingerbread squares to them (depending on how lazy I am). We decorate them like little gingerbread houses, put together a vilage. The secret is to take a picture immediately before the kids eat them. Minus the milk cartons, of course. The milk carton idea is kinda lame, but it makes it easy enough that little kids can do it themselves.

Sugar ice cream cones make awesome evergreen trees. We used green icing and then sprinkled powdered sugar over them to simulate snow.

I'm sure they just didn't have the room to display it at the nursing home. Plus there are usually at least a resident or two who will pick at stuff like this. When ever we had a food drive at the nursing home I worked at, stray cans were always turning up in one particular resident's room. :-)

Space is at a premium, and to have these things set up in displays so they won't get knocked down, picked at, etc is very difficult.

Not to mention, if I was the director at that particular facility, I wouldn't let them hold 'church' anyway!

I agree those are probably the reasons why the nursing home didn't take them. My maternal grandmother had dementia and she once picked at a cookie Christmas tree that my mom made. I know someone who works at a nursing home and space for certain things to be displayed is hard due medical equipment being moved throughout the building and other issues/

I have a resident with sticky fingers. The baby Jesus was abducted (we had an amber alert) from the nativity scene, and then a santa disappeared. She took another woman's bra. And she tried to take all the cups off my med cart the other day. I think every facility has one. :)

Trying to keep residents with dementia and diabetes away from the sugary stuff is always fun.

I have a resident with sticky fingers. The baby Jesus was abducted (we had an amber alert) from the nativity scene, and then a santa disappeared. She took another woman's bra. And she tried to take all the cups off my med cart the other day. I think every facility has one. :)

:) You're making miss my days working in a Nursing home (almost.).

Thank God it was Abby who made the zoo and not one of the adult kids as we feared...

Their jingerbread houses are very nice and creative, especially the shop and the Victorian cottage. It's like the "kids" want to use every few opportunities they have to be creative and do something what others might call fun. In that context Teri & Steve's church totally reflects their personalities and life: plain, dull and very unimaginative.

I managed to get a comment past the church of Stevie's moderating eye RE the Jingerbread town. I got three words past him this time. The third time I have outwitted him. I will not say which as we know that dictator in that stupid hat spys here... But for us it is pretty :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I suspected JohnHugh as a potential culprit!

I am still tickled by the time you got the word 'elderly' three times in the same sentence.... :lol:

I have got a couple of snarky comments through previously, but I don't want to reveal my identity as it would spoil the fun. I also had one comment not published, but was sent a "You're going to Hell" email response by old Stevie boy.

I think it is completely off-limits to impersonate specific people like Rebecca K., but posing as a random Maxwell groupie is rather fun. :D

Cheers anniec.

It was not me that did the R K thing.

It will be fun to wait how long Stevie removes the post. I run a shipping Yahoo Gorup in the the UK, and nothing gets past past me, why is Stevie so THICK?

Archived