IGNORED

Prescription Drugs = Sin

Koala

She can send her heretical husband to pry the Wellbutrin outta my cold, dead hands.

I recently started Wellbutrin for depression. Growing up I don't even think my parents would have let me see a real doctor for this issue...they sent my sister to a religious "counselor" who made things worse. Psychologists and Psychiatrists have really helped me a lot and I am hoping they can help me get over even more of my upbringing. I just wish things like medications for mental issues and real psychology (not christian therapists who took a course online) were not considered out of bounds as a kid in my Christian family.

These people make me so angry. Meds are here for a damn reason!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zzu Zzu should read her Bible better. My mother, who is pretty damn fundie, is a strong supporter of medicating because of Proverbs 31:6 which reads

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

My mom says that if the Bible tells us to give alcohol to those suffering from depression, God obviously doesn't want us to be miserable, and wine and beer were the only treatment options at the time, but we have many better options available today and should take advantage of them. She tells people who are depressed to take drugs AND pray more. When I was suffering from post-partum depression and some people from our church were judgemental of my taking medication, she told them to shove it, in super nice church lady language. My mom & I have a lot of issues, but I've always appreciated her perspective and support on this.

People have always treated illnesses with herbs and teas and whatever the healing person of the village prescribed. Many herbs effects are powerful, or the medications that we take today are derivatives of, or concentrations of traditional remedies (acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) being the active ingredient that is found in willow bark tea that has been used a pain relief for hundreds and hundreds of years) How is taking advantage of medicinal technology available to is today a bad thing? I understand not wanting to over-use antibiotics and things like that, but seriously, I don't think prescription drugs fall into the same category as smoking.

I doubt they would learn any lesson from trying to pray diseases away, if someone in their immediate family got sick. They'd probably say it's God's will.

I'd test that. Sh'd run to the ER crying like a b**** asking for help from the ebil doctorz.

In ZsuZsu's mind I must be a super sinner. I have allergies and asthma and going without prescription medication is not an option (especially when I get sick). This woman lacks perspective.

I would love to see them try to pray diseases away. Really. I hope they'll never have to experience it but it would teach them a lesson.

That is what I hope too.

In fact Zsu is very young and her children are very young, but she doesn't know how her life is going to be.

Look at the Duggars, praying the stars out of heaven and living their pathetic godly lives, that didn't help Jubilee Hosanna Shabbat Gloriam Shalom.

There are some examples in the American media of parents trying to pray their children's diseases away, well we all know that worked very well....... :cry:

Sorry, Zsu, but I'm strong enough now to tell you to f- off. Without prescription meds, I would have been dead at a year old. I pray no one in her family ever has to deal with a genetic (incurable) disease, because it's hell, every day. Even on the "best" days.

The problem I have is that she believes people with any kind of health conditions (and I include mental/emotional conditions, because they are real health conditions) have done something to deserve them, and therefore, should suffer. It's not her place to judge.

The scary thing is that I have had people tell me that if I just prayer harder, or differently, or had more faith, etc. that my son might get "better".

I have had fundies tell me that God could make my son better but is choosing not to to teach me a lesson, improve my faith or....(plug in any sort of offensive suggestion).

They also believe that they don't have kids with health problems because they are such wonderful Christians and God is blessing them with healthy children. I have to admit that I would be very interested to see how the Duggars might cope if Josie ends up being diagnosed with a significant health issue (though we would know by now if things were going to be REALLY scary vs. delays etc.).

There must be fundies with kids with very serious health problems. I would love to hear their thoughts.

If we had to switch to rice and beans seven days a week in order to afford organic, we would do so, before eating conventional hot dogs, chips, cookies, sodas, etc.

I know it's been discussed in the other thread, but this strikes me. She would really be better off eating rice and beans (organic or otherwise) than the organic chips, cookies, soda, carbo-loaded everything that they consume.

As far as the prescription drugs, it really seems like she thinks that everyone "of the world" runs straight out to find and take whatever scripts they can get their hands on, because waiting on the doctor, paying for the doctor, waiting on the pharmacist, paying for the meds, etc. is like a day at the park for us. I hate going to the doctor and I hate prescriptions because they tend to cost way too much. I don't run out for antibiotics as soon as I get a sniffle. But I can understand a balance between relying on natural immunity and healthy living when feasible, and taking full advantage of medical science when necessary.

Between the premiums, deductibles, and co-pays for even a basic PPO, we would be out of $15,000/year before they started covering part of our expenses. It has been at least 8 years since we dropped our health insurance, so you do the math.

This portion of her blog really makes me angry because I've been a child in this lifestyle and denying the benefits of modern medicine and health insurance really puts the onus of responsibility on the child for any illness. You may get sick as a kid, but you hate saying anything because the debt free lifestyle encourages self-reliance in children as well as adults. The sick kid knows that going to a doctor will result in the family struggling to cover the bill. Even with the "plans" like the Duggars have, the guilt is magnified because you know your illness is causing other families to "go without" to cover your bill. Zsu is "doing the math" but failing to account for what will happen if they have a traumatic injury or ICU/PICU stay for the kids. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't: the more kids you have, the greater your risk of accidents and serious illness/injury.

Right now, I can think of several individuals/families (ours included) whose household income per capita is (sometimes much) less than that of the average family eating conventionally grown foods, yet they eat 100% organically grown foods. It is simply a question of PRIORITES.

And, this is what it's all about for people like Zsu- she's better than you. She obviously cares about her children more than those "other families" because she has chosen to devote the time to little causes like this. She says she doesn't judge, but this shows that she does. You may have different priorities but you should have *her priorities*. It's a verbal shell game.

Did I miss the part about Rx drugs?

I guess for her, my brother must have committed a major sin because he was hit by someone who was fleeing the police in a stolen car. As a result of a head injury, my brother needs anti seizure medicine in order to keep the epilepsy under control so he can drive legally. He also would have died after only living about a month if it weren't for hospitals and medication since he had pneumonia, and those things did save his life.

According to Zsu, I should have been suffering since not only have I been taking birth control, I also divorced an abusive husband, which is also a serious sin according to her. Vaccines did save my life, even though for some reason the mumps portion of MMR didn't work for me, the case of mumps I had when I was 10 was mild. It was so mild that I almost went to school until my mom made me stay home since while I didn't feel sick, my mom saw my swollen glands.

I wish Zsu my hives. For 6 months I had them from top to bottom. Now I'm on an evil immunosupressant and have tiny breakouts in odd places, but not nearly as severe as before. The meds I take prevent me from taking Nsaids like Motrin or Naproxen for one of my other problems, but when I think about it in the long run, I can deal with the pain as long as I don't look like a red patch.

As was said above Zsu could benefit from some Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, or any number of drugs. I doubt if she'd be any nicer to people but she might develop a conscience. :shock:

I wish Zsu my hives. For 6 months I had them from top to bottom. Now I'm on an evil immunosupressant and have tiny breakouts in odd places, but not nearly as severe as before. The meds I take prevent me from taking Nsaids like Motrin or Naproxen for one of my other problems, but when I think about it in the long run, I can deal with the pain as long as I don't look like a red patch.

As was said above Zsu could benefit from some Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, or any number of drugs. I doubt if she'd be any nicer to people but she might develop a conscience. :shock:

She needs some Lithium orotate as a dietary supplement to drop out her OCD and paranoia, and some high dose fish oil would help calm her temporal lobe problem.

So let me get this. If I pump organic food though my kid's feeding tube all will be well and he'll get better, or at least not sicker??? His seizures will end? He'll breathe easier?? Hell, maybe he'll decide he can walk and talk and eat (he's 13).

Or, maybe my kid suffering catastrophic brain damage during birth when the physician prolapsed his umbilical cord severing his oxygen supply could have been prevented if I had eaten only organic food during my pregnancy.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for organic and locally grown food whenever possible. But to suggest that this and prayer will make sure you never get sick or experience a medical tragedy annoys the hell out of me.

I only have ragweed allergy that must be treated or else I am useless for 2 months. I could not even say 'Oh' from 'Oh Lord almighty, I ask thought to taketh away tha ragweed allergy, the punishment for my oroginal sins' without sneezing. I can only imagine what people with serious illnesses think when they read arrogant f***nuttry like this.

Fuck Zsu! My condition isn't even life threatening, but the anti-inflammatories I take keep the worst of the edge off of the pain of having "weird joints" as my physical therapist said. Basically the joints of my legs are all turned slightly the wrong way (hips turn out too far, knees turn in too far, ankles...just incredibly messed up). With a careful combination of physical therapy and anti-inflammatories, I have so far managed to avoid prescription pain meds and special orthopedic inserts, but I may not be able to avoid them forever. If it becomes necessary, I will take prescription pain meds, because on my bad days now, the pain can get pretty bad. If my bad days become good days, I won't be able to function without some sort of pain meds.

This is such great information! I am going to go tell my 87 year old mother to throw away her Coumadin immediately. So what if she gets more blood clots? If she has them again, well then, I guess she must deserve them, right?

I am very curious to know what Zsu would do should one of her children have a life threatening disease. Would he get chemo for cancer? Would a child diagnosed with juvenile diabetes be able to use insulin? Are antibiotics okay for a severe infection? I will never understand why medication is so bad. Yes, it is over-prescribed in some cases, but the in the vast majority of cases, it is needed and can save lives. Strange lady.

Fuck Zsu! My condition isn't even life threatening, but the anti-inflammatories I take keep the worst of the edge off of the pain of having "weird joints" as my physical therapist said. Basically the joints of my legs are all turned slightly the wrong way (hips turn out too far, knees turn in too far, ankles...just incredibly messed up). With a careful combination of physical therapy and anti-inflammatories, I have so far managed to avoid prescription pain meds and special orthopedic inserts, but I may not be able to avoid them forever. If it becomes necessary, I will take prescription pain meds, because on my bad days now, the pain can get pretty bad. If my bad days become good days, I won't be able to function without some sort of pain meds.

I totally understand, my hip joints are wrong, and it basically has shifted the rest of the joints on the way down. I have good days, even periods, but when it gets bad, it is nasty. I generally get bursitis flare ups and the only thing that helps there are cortisone shots. I wouldn't be able to walk without those occasional cortisone shots.

She can go shit in the ocean.

My husband's ADHD meds allow him to KEEP HIS JOB. My anti nausea meds are allowing me to keep a healthy pregnancy. Also, the vitamin D prescription vitamins I was given? are keeping me from having to take narcotic pain killers. (Found out i was severely vit. D deficient because of SCARY joint pain that mimicked Rhuematoid Arthritis symptoms!).

Yeah bitch go shit in the ocean. I hope someday you have something where you HAVE to take prescription meds and you eat your close minded idiotic words.

I totally understand, my hip joints are wrong, and it basically has shifted the rest of the joints on the way down. I have good days, even periods, but when it gets bad, it is nasty. I generally get bursitis flare ups and the only thing that helps there are cortisone shots. I wouldn't be able to walk without those occasional cortisone shots.

Bursitis SUCKS. I have it in my hip- i had a VERY bad fall on ice and that "triggered" it. Thankfully, me losing 35+ lbs helped significantly but I know it doesn't help everyone, or if you have it in a non weight bearing joint. However, once I get to the 3rd trimester of this pregnancy i'm in for some AGONIZING delicious pain.

Bursitis SUCKS. I have it in my hip- i had a VERY bad fall on ice and that "triggered" it. Thankfully, me losing 35+ lbs helped significantly but I know it doesn't help everyone, or if you have it in a non weight bearing joint. However, once I get to the 3rd trimester of this pregnancy i'm in for some AGONIZING delicious pain.

I am 5'10" and 140 lbs, I can't loose any weight and still be healthy. But it really does make me keep an eye on my weight to make sure I stay in this range. I am slightly worried what will happen if I ever have kids.

WTF are these people all about? Do they want to copy Christian Scientists? Even Seventh-Day Adventists go to doctors!

not only do they go to drs, by us they run a whole dang hospital system! My husband has a job thanks to them!!!

This just makes me feel so bad for ZsuZsu's kids. I don't care what happens to their brain-dead parents, but they don't deserve this. I just hope they never come down with anything serious, or it won't end well.

Archived