IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

I love velveeta too once in awhile. There is a Mac n Cheese recipe we make a couple times a year that uses a few ounces of velveeta along with a ton of fresh grated real cheese. The velveeta just melds with the real cheese and makes a really ooey gooey mac n cheese. That amount of velveeta at one time is ugh. I could understand it if the velveeta was a small portion added to real cheese but just plain velveeta? That is cheese dip not soup.

Velveeta mixed with chili = pretty good "chip dip". But Velveets *is* expensive. And the way it congeals squicks me out.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet the Duggars would love what my family lovingly calls "White Trash Casserole". They can change it to include canned chicken, canned milk, and Velveeta.

2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut up

1 can of sliced olives

6 to 8 medium mushrooms sliced

2 cups 2 percent milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together in a sauce pan and stir occasionally until it comes to a boil

Cook 1 pound box of noodles (I like shells)

Mix sauce and noodles together in a casserole dish and top with the best part - smashed up plain potato chips. ;)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until potato chips are nicely browned

Comfort food at it's best.

What is Cream of Chicken Soup? I've read it in many many american recipes. Is this like chicken broth with cream or something different altogether. And why is it in so many recipes. Same for cream of mushroom.

These are soups made popular by Campell's soup company. They are basically chicken (or mushroom, celery) suspended in fake dairy and thickening agent chemicals. When you open up the can, it kind of glops out. The idea is that it's condensed so you thin it out of with mil or water. Also they are incredibly salty. They are popular in casserole recipes because they are cheap and easy. Also Campells invented a lot of recipes that use it as a creaming/thickening/binding agent. (this one is a staple at many American Thanksgiving http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipede ... peId=24099) Most of the time you can make a roux/bechemel sauce to substitute it.

These fundie wives could find tons of creative ways to feed their large armies of children without subjecting them to the horrors of cream of yuck. It's too bad thinking outside of the box is frowned on in frumper ville

I'm too lazy to make a roux for most things, so to thicken up creamy soups I purée some white beans with a bit of stock. Last week my mother gave me 10 lbs. of potatoes, so I made potato soup this way. The beans have the added advantage of adding a bit of protein and fiber.

BTW, I'm from the South, and haven't used cream of xxxx soup or Velveeta in at least 5 years.

Where the frack are you buying 5# of Tillamook for $10?! A 2# loaf here is nearly $10.

As for their chocolate/paraffin recipe, I don't understand why they don't just use almond bark?

I don't know how much a lug is but here I could buy a head of broccoli for well under $2.

Indeed. No wonder people look at me like I have two heads- I'm not from the South originally so my family doesn't really eat that sort of crap (that being said, I'm still the token health nut).

I have a hard time eating processed food, I just don't like it much. Maybe it's the preservatives. Anything with fresh/ly cooked veggies and meat is great. I can't eat Campbell's soup though, it's far too salty.

What part of NC are you in, btw? Because I'm becoming suspicious that much of eastern NC is full of potheads.

Kitty, my diet sounds a lot like yours. I'm laughing- I live in the mountains of WNC- in the so-called "Berkeley of the Appalachians"- and assumed you were close to me :mrgreen:

What I don't understand is that even CHICKEN and MILK (evaporated) comes from a can? Where they live, they not only have one of the most successful chicken companies (Tyson), but they have a pretty decent Milk industry (subsidized by the federal gov't). They can't spend $2 on a gallon of REAL milk??

Fresh or frozen chicken is cheaper per oz than the stuff in the can.... a 12oz can of cooked chicken is about $5. A pound of fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts costs about the same. Using frozen, bone-in cuts, or even a whole chicken would be even cheaper. Hell, for the cost of a can of chicken, you could get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli and just use that, plus you'd get the carcass for making soup or stock too.

I will admit that I use canned chicken sometimes... for chicken salad sandwiches. It's an occasional thing, not a frequent occurrence.

I love my family enough to use the Duggar's recipes as a source of "never, ever cook this if you want your DH to live 10 more years".

To actually put that in my mouth? Nuh uh.

Oooh do you think J'chelle is trying to kill Jimboob off?! :lol:

What exactly is Velveeta cheese anyway?

Protein, emulsifiers, fat, colorants. It looks like an orange-ish brick of soft plastic material. You find stg like this in Mcdonalds burgers. Cheese substitute. Not so healthy. : (

Where's the vomiting emoticon? That's what I need right now. Why the hell would anyone put 2lbs of that stuff in anything??

There are a few things that I looooove Velveeta in, mainly the Rotel dip. I can (and have) make a batch of that and grab a bag of chips and make it an entire meal. :oops: It's also good in mac & cheese, and although it's better with real cheese, Velveeta and the super cheap powdered mac & cheese is the kind of stuff I grew up on so it's more of a comfort food thing. But I don't buy it that often because it is more expensive. I have a family member who pretty much cooks like the Duggars, lots of casseroles and those all have cream of something soup in them. I think with this person it has more to do with disliking cooked but wanting something "home made" that's still pretty simple. And the recipes are tasty, but it's not something I could personally do all the time.

Does anyone know if the Duggars ever accepted food donations at any point? If they did when the kids were younger I could totally see why they rely on this stuff still.

Condensed cream soup somewhat resembles very thick sauce. It really took off, IIRC, just after WWII. One generation had had a lot of women too busy working to support the family to teach their children how to cook, and the next found itself moving around a lot more in pursuit of new white-collar jobs or because the man of the house was being restationed, leaving young homemakers floundering for something to make for dinner. Campbell's (and Betty Crocker and other companies) capitalized on this by printing recipes for simple casseroles right on the package.

If you want to use an American canned-soup recipe, allow about 1 1/2 cups for a can of undiluted soup or 3 cups if the directions say "diluted" and follow the chart below.

CREAM OF USE THIS

Mushroom White sauce with sauteed mushrooms and nutmeg

Chicken Chicken veloute

Celery White sauce with sauteed celery

Aparagus White sauce with boiled asparagus tips, made with some of the cooking liquid from the vegetables

Broccoli Same, with chopped broccoli

Shrimp Same, with small cooked shrimp

"Condensed Cheese Soup" Cheese sauce made with Cheddar

Tomato Tomato sauce, unseasoned

Alphabet, vegetarian vegetable, etc. Beef broth with a spoonful of ketchup or tomato paste

Chicken noodle or other clear chicken soup Chicken broth or stock

J'Chelle's recipes aren't algorithms for cooking so much as they are "concoctions". A jar of this, a couple cans of this, a bottle of that, and a packet of some kind of seasoning. Even Under1000 Emily was more of a cook than the Duggarettes.

As for their chocolate/paraffin recipe, I don't understand why they don't just use almond bark?

Ohioans take their Buckeyes pretty seriously...if you use almond bark instead of "real" chocolate, then it's not really a Buckeye.

I think these recipes are created by the kids who all have to fend for themselves. I doubt Jichelle could take 'credit' for any of them.

From what I remember, all of these recipes appeared in their first book. I guess they haven't come up with anything else since then- and none of them seem to have any creativity to them, just the basic, easy, cheap way to feed 20 people at a time. I guess the Duggars have never tried to make a homemade stir fry, curry, or anything that might sound a little different than your basic lasagna, TTC, etc. BTW, the only lasgagna I've seen served on the show appears to be the large frozen Stouffer type ones...though their recipe for slow cooker lasagna sounds kind of strange to me...I think lasagna tastes and holds together baked in an oven.

I'm neither a cream of xx soup fan nor a velvetta fan but what jumped out at me in that broccoli recipe was "1 c. cornstarch" - wtf??? I don't use cornstarch at all let alone the thought of putting a cup of it into a casserole.

Is that really what that meant? why would you need soup to be thickened like that? Is it Jesus soup that you can walk on or something?

Oooh do you think J'chelle is trying to kill Jimboob off?! :lol:

Hee! She just might succeed, you know. Having an idle moment, I checked out that "soup" on nutritiondata.com

7 lb Broccoli, frozen, chopped, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt = 896 calories, 0 g fat, 336 mg sodium

2 lb KRAFT VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread = 2720 calories, 192 g fat, 13,340 mg sodium

1 qt Cream, fluid, heavy whipping = 3284 calories, 352 g fat, 360 mg sodium

1 cup Cornstarch = 488 calories, 0 g fat, 12 mg sodium

Recipe total: 7,388 calories, 544 g fat, 14,037 mg sodium

Divide in 21 servings = per serving 352 calories, 26 g fat, 668 mg sodium

And it's only a soup! Betcha they eat it with crackers. It would be high if the recipe made enough for 40.

BTW, using the Harris-Benedict calorie formula and USDA fat and sodium guidelines:

A moderately active 5'4" JSlave weighing 120 lb (I'll call her Janilesgeroy) needs about 2,160 calories, 70 g fat and 1,500 mg sodium per day.

A very active 4'3" Howler Monkey weighing 70 lb (Jederasmestinson) needs about 1,870 calories, 62 g fat and 1,500 mg sodium (less for Jackson) per day.

For either, a bowl of this crap is almost half the daily fat and salt, plus 1/5 the calories.

/research geek

Archived