IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

It's not even cheese.

It's a 'processed cheese product'

Yes, and I refuse to even have that crap in my house!

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just really want the Duggars to be stoners now. It would explain so much, and I'd actually want to hang with them. Joints 4 Jesus anyone?

Conuly, canning grocery store chicken produces muck. Fresh hens when canned still have fantastic texture for egg rolls, chicken salad, and enchiladas.

I have a young rooster who is gorgeous, but if he doesn't learn his place by this spring will be a good candidate for canning.

Aldi sells there own brand of Velveeta so I'm guessing they are getting it there. Its not very good though. I used it to make rotel dip for a party and the Velveeta brand was much much better. I wonder if the poor man's pizza is something the kids can make for themselves? I used to love to melt American cheese on tortilla chips for lunch when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I thought I was cooking.

I love Velveeta! But in moderation. It's not a daily fucking staple in my house, or even a weekly one. And I'm someone who will -and does- happily spend money on good quality cheeses, and knows the difference. I can't seem to help myself. Once in awhile, nothing will do other than a burger with a slice of Velveeta melted on it.

I love velveeta too once in awhile. There is a Mac n Cheese recipe we make a couple times a year that uses a few ounces of velveeta along with a ton of fresh grated real cheese. The velveeta just melds with the real cheese and makes a really ooey gooey mac n cheese. That amount of velveeta at one time is ugh. I could understand it if the velveeta was a small portion added to real cheese but just plain velveeta? That is cheese dip not soup.

I just really want the Duggars to be stoners now. It would explain so much, and I'd actually want to hang with them. Joints 4 Jesus anyone?

Um... I think I'd like to get in the mood for poor man's pizza and there is no other way, so, erm... :roll: :oops: :)

I have a young rooster who is gorgeous, but if he doesn't learn his place by this spring will be a good candidate for canning.

I think he'd be very happy cozied up with some dumplings if things don't work out :lol: Nothing like a tougher bird for the jar. When I took my master preservers course (like master gardener) we actually used real cans for some chickens and tasted tested them against jars. The jars won. I use the necks and hearts for my stock.

I love haystacks--sooooo good. I also had some delicious chocolatey confection a few weeks ago that apparently involves Ritz crackers. I was too drunk, all I remember is asking what was in it and Ritz crackers were the more memorable ingredient.

Turkey bacon is not a health food, but it and turkey sausage are a life-saver for those of us that don't eat pork. I agree that traditional pork bacon is better. If I ate pork, I would eat real bacon every day because it is delicious.

Was it maybe Christmas Crack? I've heard of it being done with Ritz, though I made mine with saltines.

(I just googled and came up with this one.)

www.mommyskitchen.net/2010/12/saltine-t ... stmas.html

Paraffin wax (or simply "paraffin"...

Wiki definition. I am not eating that ever.

Ever eat Girl Scout Cookies? Thin Mints used to have it in the chocolate coating - and might still have it.

I think he'd be very happy cozied up with some dumplings if things don't work out :lol: Nothing like a tougher bird for the jar. When I took my master preservers course (like master gardener) we actually used real cans for some chickens and tasted tested them against jars. The jars won. I use the necks and hearts for my stock.

I've thought about doing that course, but I'd have to travel a couple counties away (not horrible, I used to help with 4H in that county, so I know where the extension office is, but it is one more thing...). I think I'm pretty good at preserving even without the certification after reading and doing a lot.

Of course there are always the occasional people who question how you process something and then give you a lecture on "who cares what the usda says, I do it this way." When you just answered their question.

Conuly, canning grocery store chicken produces muck. Fresh hens when canned still have fantastic texture for egg rolls, chicken salad, and enchiladas.

How fresh do they have to be? Like, is getting them pasture raised from my CSA good enough? (Aw, who am I kidding? Canning is one thing I don't do - and when I start, it'll be with produce, not animals.)

How fresh do they have to be? Like, is getting them pasture raised from my CSA good enough? (Aw, who am I kidding? Canning is one thing I don't do - and when I start, it'll be with produce, not animals.)

It is more of an age and breed thing. The younger and more tender birds are more likely to be mushy over older, less tender birds. I have canned grocery store chickens. They aren't as good as home raised, but it is still better than commercially canned meat. When you can meat, you put the jars in a pressure canner, so they are at a very high amount of heat for a while.

I moved to NWA 4 years ago and it seems velveeta is a requirement at any gathering. I have never been to a potluck that didnt have the "queso" dip made with a jar of salsa and a bar of velveeta. At my first MOPS meetup we were served Doritos layered with canned bean dip topped with a pound of velveeta and called "Mexican casserole." This duggar food seems like the standard fare when feeding a crowd around here.

I do question those who say they could get real milk and cheese inexpensively. Try doubling the prices mentioned and it would be closer. Tilamook cheese here is about 10 bucks for a 2 lb loaf. Its the only cheese my husband will eat and I have to plan extra for it in my budget when we run out. Shopping at Aldi their largest selection is in highly processed stuff.

Man, I just re-read that and I sound like a snobby brat.

The younger and more tender birds are more likely to be mushy over older, less tender birds. I have canned grocery store chickens.

Ah, so if I wanted to can a chicken from the store or the farmer's market, I'd be sure to pick up a stew chicken instead of a "young" chicken or a roasting chicken?

I do question those who say they could get real milk and cheese inexpensively. Try doubling the prices mentioned and it would be closer. Tilamook cheese here is about 10 bucks for a 2 lb loaf. Its the only cheese my husband will eat and I have to plan extra for it in my budget when we run out. Shopping at Aldi their largest selection is in highly processed stuff.

On the other hand, cheese is one of those products covered by WIC, putting it in the budget for poor mothers. Velveeta? Not covered, if Google is accurate.

I went to youtube to watch videos on canning chicken after hearing you guys talk about how good it tastes. Some of the videos are quite interesting. It reaffirms my belief that most people should not make how to videos and post them on youtube.

I like the idea so I may have to look for some good deals on fresh chicken. :animals-chickencatch:

I went to youtube to watch videos on canning chicken after hearing you guys talk about how good it tastes. Some of the videos are quite interesting. It reaffirms my belief that most people should not make how to videos and post them on youtube.

I like the idea so I may have to look for some good deals on fresh chicken. :animals-chickencatch:

Make sure you have a pressure canner first. I love my All American, but it's top of the line, the only thing I would suggest with the others is to get one with a weight, or get the weight kit for the one that is only a gauge.

Ah, so if I wanted to can a chicken from the store or the farmer's market, I'd be sure to pick up a stew chicken instead of a "young" chicken or a roasting chicken?

Yes.

I'm not going to lie. Turkey bacon makes me want to cry. I hate it. I think it's foul and if one more person tries to tell me that it's "just like bacon!" I'm going to scream. It's not "just like bacon". Bacon is just like bacon. And bacon is awesome. I understand turkey bacon is better for you, but my personal preference is that I'd rather have 1/2 a strip of real bacon than 3 pieces of turkey bacon. /turkey bacon rant

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Turkey "bacon" is NOT BACON. And I sincerely doubt it's a healthier alternative, given all the chemistry that goes into making it into a generally-tolerable bacon analogue.

Rant aside, I honestly don't care if other people like it and want to eat it. Eat what you like; I'm pro-choice there, too. Besides, that just means more real bacon for me... :music-rockout:

Make sure you have a pressure canner first. I love my All American, but it's top of the line, the only thing I would suggest with the others is to get one with a weight, or get the weight kit for the one that is only a gauge.

I will start saving up for one of the All American. I would rather get a nice one and have it last for years then get a cheaply made one that will have a limited life time. I can start reading up on canning meats in the mean time. It will give me time to think and make sure its something that I want to invest my time and money into.

I wonder if the poor man's pizza is something the kids can make for themselves? I used to love to melt American cheese on tortilla chips for lunch when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I thought I was cooking.

When I was a kid, microwave quesadillas were our usual after-school snack. Jack cheese in a tortilla, nuked until the cheese bubbled, then devoured with lots of green taco sauce. So yeah, the "poor man's pizza" is something even a 4-year-old can make (if my kid sister can be used as a gauge).

It isn't. Is real cheese that unaffordable? I'm not talking triple cream brie with walnuts, all organic, from Southern France. I'm talking about something simple but made from cows milk only, actually.

According to the State of Arkansas WIC page, you have to make 185% of the poverty income for your family size in order to qualify for WIC. That's about $150K/yr gross income for the Duggars. The Arkansas WIC program provides American, Colby, Cheddar, and mozzarella cheese, but not "cheese food," such as Velveeta. That's a pound of cheese per week for the woman of the house, two pounds if she's breastfeeding, and another pound for each child ages 1-4. 4 pounds of real cheese every week.

Basically the Duggars are eating worse than families on relief.

Ok I'm truly nauseated. I had to read the whole thread. No I could not eat any of their stuff willingly, ever.

They could buy a lug of broccoli for $10 and 5lbs of Tillamook for $10 and made a healthy cheese soup for the gang. If it must be thickened puree the broc. and add some roux. Use a bit of fresh fennel for added zing.

Where the frack are you buying 5# of Tillamook for $10?! A 2# loaf here is nearly $10.

As for their chocolate/paraffin recipe, I don't understand why they don't just use almond bark?

Archived