IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

Oh my word, those recipes make me cringe. As someone who works out 6-7 days a week, I think I would seriously die. I'd lose my energy and be unable to workout. That stuff just sounds horrible for you.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I clicked through to the website, thinking 'it can't be that bad', but really? I'm not sure how anyone could eat this sort of thing:

Haystacks

butterscotch chips, melted

1-2 c. chow mein noodles

1-2 c. peanuts

Mix all ingredients together and drop on waxed paper. Enjoy!

duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30796/haystacks

ETA: A quick Google search has shown up a haystack recipe on the Southern Food section of about.com, so maybe I'm just being culturally insensitive here. Sorry.

:oops: These are actually pretty good. If you are trying to get more fiber in your diet you can substitute Fiber One cereal for the chow mein noodles.

Qualifier: I am not a food snob, but even I think Chickenetti sounds disgusting, as does barbecue tuna (wtf?), and any kind of fake pizza that involves spreading tomato sauce on bread or tortillas.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, folks, I didn't mean to come over all snobbish regarding haystacks. I have genuinely never heard of them before and I was having a hard time conceptualizing it. It still seems really weird to me. I suppose it's no weirder than oat (i.e. not pancake) flapjacks.

Edited: wording

Sorry, folks, I didn't mean to come over all snobbish regarding haystacks. I have genuinely never heard of them before and I was having a hard time conceptualizing it. It still seems really weird to me. I suppose it's no weirder than oat (i.e. not pancake) flapjacks.

I've made haystacks but they involve butter and cocoa and coconut, they were closer to a macaroon.

Edited: wording

Our version is a christmas cookie called ting-a-lings (I have no idea where the name came from) but it is essentially the same recipe with exception of the butterscotch chips being a mixture of butterscotch and chocolate chips. I have to admit they are one of my favorite cookies- but there is a reason they are only Christmas cookies, eating them year round is not a good idea.

Our version is a christmas cookie called ting-a-lings (I have no idea where the name came from) but it is essentially the same recipe with exception of the butterscotch chips being a mixture of butterscotch and chocolate chips. I have to admit they are one of my favorite cookies- but there is a reason they are only Christmas cookies, eating them year round is not a good idea.

We make them with part chocolate, part butterscotch, as well, but they are called Chinese New Year cookies.

I will admit to making my own laundry soap. But, I make mine with 100% coconut oil soap that I make myself. I also add some phosphate to it because I live in an are with hard water.

Qualifier: I am not a food snob, but even I think Chickenetti sounds disgusting, as does barbecue tuna (wtf?), and any kind of fake pizza that involves spreading tomato sauce on bread or tortillas.

My dad will take an old hot dog roll (or whatever roll he can find) spread it with ketchup, put cheese on it and then top it with salami. Then he sticks it in the toaster oven. He only eats it when he thinks nobody is paying attention to what he is eating, but we all know that he does it and we're all repulsed. Fortunately, he's normally a good cook. (other than enjoying a soft poached egg smashed into wheaties.)

So, their recipes would NEVER work here, because we're basically vegetarians and it seems the Duggars have not yet discovered vegetables. 'tis a shame since they have the wo/manpower and land to create an amazing veg garden!

Haystacks for us are like this (SDA version): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haystack_(food) it's a definite favorite food around here but it's a main course and has LOTS of vegetables. I <3 Haystacks!

ETA: OH OH OH!! I love this article: http://www.adventistreview.org/article/ ... in-special

I just went to the link. I admit I'm a food snob. But their stuff was crap. They didn't even have a Lutheran Casserole listed.

Even my mom has a Lutheran Casserole recipe, and she hardly EVER makes casseroles! Hers contains real onions and red pepper though. The Duggars know food comes from cans, not trees! Oh, and Lutheran potatoes are totally used as a side dish for special "comfort food" occasions. The Duggars probably see this recipe as a waste, since its hard to justify as a one pot meal. They would need to cook at least one other thing to go with it.

I would have never even fathomed the possibility that they used fresh parmesan. I wonder how the Duggar kids would react to the fresh variety of a lot of their foods. They would probably think fresh fruits and vegetables taste weird.

Never had haystacks per se, but have had a snack a lot like it. Mix pretzels, rice chex, m&m's, and peanuts (and whatever else you cant), mix with melted white chocolate, and break into chunks. It's called white trash, and I could shower in that shit. SO good.

I keep waiting for the Duggars to post some form of mormon funeral potatoes on their site. They contain a three important ingredients for the duggars; sodium, fat, and starch.

Even my mom has a Lutheran Casserole recipe, and she hardly EVER makes casseroles! Hers contains real onions and red pepper though. The Duggars know food comes from cans, not trees! Oh, and Lutheran potatoes are totally used as a side dish for special "comfort food" occasions. The Duggars probably see this recipe as a waste, since its hard to justify as a one pot meal. They would need to cook at least one other thing to go with it.

I would have never even fathomed the possibility that they used fresh parmesan. I wonder how the Duggar kids would react to the fresh variety of a lot of their foods. They would probably think fresh fruits and vegetables taste weird.

Never had haystacks per se, but have had a snack a lot like it. Mix pretzels, rice chex, m&m's, and peanuts (and whatever else you cant), mix with melted white chocolate, and break into chunks. It's called white trash, and I could shower in that shit. SO good.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

I keep waiting for the Duggars to post some form of mormon funeral potatoes on their site. They contain a three important ingredients for the duggars; sodium, fat, and starch.

I'm a lover of some good funeral potatoes, but my Mormon pals made them with real shredded fresh spuds, so the cream soup was not needed, and they put roasted garlic in them with a bit of chicken broth. I'd always fight for the leftovers.

I'm a lover of some good funeral potatoes, but my Mormon pals made them with real shredded fresh spuds, so the cream soup was not needed, and they put roasted garlic in them with a bit of chicken broth. I'd always fight for the leftovers.

I make my own cream soup. It taste better then the canned crap. I cant can it or freeze it though. The milk separates out of it. So, I have to make it fresh for each recipe.

I just don't get why people use cream of this or that. It's expensive when compared to the ingredients you need to make soup. There's no way I'm paying twice the price of what is essentially a flavoured roux, especially when it comes with some very dodgy additives.

That said, I love my broccoli and cheese soup. It's basically a heart attack in a bowl, but at least I know exactly which ingredient is going to kill me (my money's on the cream).

Why do they have imitation vanilla listed for their recipes? Is real vanilla extract forbidden since it contains alcohol?

Cost? I prefer to use vanilla beans, because I like seeing the little black specks at work, but I'm also really lazy so use extract sometimes. That stuff is almost as expensive as buying the beans in bulk. Essence is about a fifth of the price.

For all the faults in the Duggars cooking, at lest they dont make Sketti.

KswWfq2drCM

OMG. I thought I was going to throw up. I HATE ketchup. I only eat it on hamburgers, and it has to be a very specific amount. That much butter would give me the shits for a whole night. No wonder she coupon hoards so much toilet paper.

Now that I think about it, all of the sketti ingredients are also commonly bought with coupons...

I get requests for funeral potatoes from friends, they call it the "food of my people". I draw the line at jello with carrots in it however.

Cost? I prefer to use vanilla beans, because I like seeing the little black specks at work, but I'm also really lazy so use extract sometimes. That stuff is almost as expensive as buying the beans in bulk. Essence is about a fifth of the price.

Vanilla whore here. I have Mexican, Madagascar, and Tahitian extracts as well as beans. I don't bake much anymore but I do like to use good vanilla in hot winter beverages and some ricotta deserts I make.

OMG. I thought I was going to throw up. I HATE ketchup. I only eat it on hamburgers, and it has to be a very specific amount. That much butter would give me the shits for a whole night. No wonder she coupon hoards so much toilet paper.

I LOVE ketchup, but holy crap, using that and what looked like eight ounces of butter as the entire sauce? Canned tomato sauce is cheap and doesn't contain the sugar that ketchup does. I mean, sure, you still have to add seasonings to make a serviceable pasta sauce, but it's not like these people appear to be concerned about flavor profile.

Vanilla whore here. I have Mexican, Madagascar, and Tahitian extracts as well as beans. I don't bake much anymore but I do like to use good vanilla in hot winter beverages and some ricotta deserts I make.

A good vanilla extract doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. Order some good vanilla beans (we found ours on amazon), get a cheap bottle of vodka (we used Smirnoff), cut the beans so the middles are exposed and place in a jar. Cover with vodka. Store in a dark, draft free place (I store in my canning cabinet). Shake one or two times a day for 6 months, and voila, Vanilla extract. You can continue to top off the extract without needing to add more beans fora b it.. every so often, add a couple more beans. It continues to make wonderful vanilla, and it won't go sour. If you want an exact recipe, I can dig it up for you.. but seriously, one of the best things I ever did. Because it's real extract, most of the time I can use a bit less than a recipe calls for and it still tastes the same. All in all it costs significantly less than the store bought real vanilla extract.

Archived