IGNORED

This place makes BYU look liberal

Daenerys

I once got conjunctivitis from eye sex. They should make the students wear blindfolds, or, maybe, stay in their closets and have lectures piped in. I'm sure the lectures are super-fascinating at a place like that, too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eye sex... For real? These people are whack-a-doo's.

My boss went to BJU for a year. She wasn't allowed to listen to secular music growing up. I think she snuck out her senior year of high school to see a movie. If her parents had found out, she'd have been sent to the prayer closet. However, she did work for an aquatics center for several years and she wasn't wearing the crazy wholesome wear suits the fundies don, so clearly her parents weren't completely whack-a-doodle-doo.

She said if your skirt wasn't long enough, they sent you back to change and they did give you demerits. You have to wear pantyhose with all skirts. That would have been the first reason I would have crossed it off my list. She only stayed a year. It was too far off the whack-a-doodle-doo edge for her, too.

I once got conjunctivitis from eye sex. They should make the students wear blindfolds, or, maybe, stay in their closets and have lectures piped in. I'm sure the lectures are super-fascinating at a place like that, too.

Or those blinders they put on horses... that would be awesome.

Conjunctivitis from eye sex.... OMG, that was good! Well played!!

I had a friend in law school whose parents made her go to PCC, though she transferred to another Christian college later on that was a little less uptight. She didn't talk much about her time at PCC, though she did say that she hated having to wear pantyhose and skirts, and she said she always felt dirty there because the staff seemed to go on the assumption that if you left male and female students in a room together, there would be an instant orgy. According to her, all but the most fundie students refer to the place as Pensacola Concentration Camp.

I actually attended BJU (more like, forced to attend by my parents) and my brother and 2 of my SIL's went to PCC. Any questions? :D

You should totally go over to Chatter and make an "Ask a former BJU Student" thread. Because I have tons of questions.

The scariest part about PCC is that the college isn't accredited. So yeah, good luck getting into graduate school or getting a job outside of crazy fundie world. Plus, I've heard that PCC seriously misleads prospective students about what the lack of accreditation will mean for their futures, even saying, "Did you know that Harvard isn't accredited?" For the record, Harvard IS.

You should totally go over to Chatter and make an "Ask a former BJU Student" thread. Because I have tons of questions.

Yes please! I even put in a request over there if there were any former BJU grads.

The scariest part about PCC is that the college isn't accredited. So yeah, good luck getting into graduate school or getting a job outside of crazy fundie world. Plus, I've heard that PCC seriously misleads prospective students about what the lack of accreditation will mean for their futures, even saying, "Did you know that Harvard isn't accredited?" For the record, Harvard IS.

Their lack of accreditation has led to a serious decline in attendance there in the last few years, so they are actually now in the process of getting regionally accredited through the same board that certified BJU. Unfortunately, that won't really help much but they are already hard at work misleading potential students by crowing about the accreditation without mentioning that it still isn't worth much.

Declining attendance has also led the tuition and fees to go up a lot, and they are instituting another price increase this year. I just spoke today to someone I still know who is there on work contract, and she was upset because she is only grossing $800 a month for 30 hours of work a week, and then not only are taxes coming out of it but PCC is now taking a set (and fairly large) chunk out before she gets it for various new "fees." So the actual take-home pay for students is now way less than minimum wage.

I had a friend in law school whose parents made her go to PCC, though she transferred to another Christian college later on that was a little less uptight. She didn't talk much about her time at PCC, though she did say that she hated having to wear pantyhose and skirts, and she said she always felt dirty there because the staff seemed to go on the assumption that if you left male and female students in a room together, there would be an instant orgy. According to her, all but the most fundie students refer to the place as Pensacola Concentration Camp.

:D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PCC is hard to talk about sometimes for a lot of people. The atmosphere is so oppressive and dark, and it's impossible to follow all the rules with most of them not being written down and new ones invented every day. And the stress of knowing that anyone with a grudge against you can make up any story they want to Student Life and get you kicked out at any second is hard to take. But the staff and the PCCites (that's what everyone called the super fundie students) are so good at mind games and manipulation that even several years after you leave you feel like there must have been something wrong with you if you couldn't hack it there.

I remember finding out about this school while searching for colleges to apply to. This former student had a website devoted to exposing all their crazy rules and creepy policies. Brothers and sisters couldn't even be alone together because it would look bad :roll:

It's still not as horrifying as all the situations with the SAHDs, though. I mean--if the choice is between PCC and staying at home with mommy and daddy into my thirties, then bring on the PCC sweatshirt.

I think I'd prefer home.

I think I'd prefer home.

I think I'd rather sleep on a bus stop bench on East Hastings in Vancouver.

Jesus. I would like to try to hack a semester there like that guy did at Liberty, and he wrote a book about it. But honestly I don't think I could make it. I can bullshit pretty well sometimes, but I don't think I could fake it there.

Yeah, I'd heard of Pensacola and their eye babies. It's the lack of accreditation that's the worst thing. It's no wonder they're cheap: it's a completely meaningless experience (unless you're only going there to find a spouse.)

Yeah, I'd heard of Pensacola and their eye babies. It's the lack of accreditation that's the worst thing. It's no wonder they're cheap: it's a completely meaningless experience (unless you're only going there to find a spouse.)

Given the extensive gender segregation, it seems pretty useless for finding a spouse too.

Found this on the "You Know You Went To PCC When..." facebook group. I didn't get it at first because I'm not a perv (or fundie, same thing).

"Protection" for ocular intercourse. I lol'd:

216795_10150260475585886_691555885_7720141_3797245_n.jpg

That's absurd.

I always think that, if you feel people must be controlled to this extent, it means that you have very little faith in their conviction that this is the right way to live, KWIM?

Anyway, I too can't help but think that attenting PCC is still better than being a SAHM getting a "PhD in homemaking".

I went to BJU (not something I usually broadcast). In fact, I live about 20 minutes from the campus. While BJU is extremely conservative and even controlling, they are less so than PCC. For example, there are no gender-specific staircases/elevators at BJU, students are allowed to go public libraries (I had no idea this was against the rules at PCC), BJU is not KJV only, etc. On the other hand, there are a lot of similarities between the two schools.

You live super close to my mom (and where I went to middle/high school). I remember the BJ girls and their crunchy curls and frumpy khaki skirts so well--one of them was even my brother's baby sitter! She seemed really normal, though, so maybe she was one of the ones that only went due to parents or something.

Also, my brother went to a fundie baptist school that got a majority of its teachers from BJU. They had all sorts of crazy rules, including the type of bible you could use, the type of hair you could have, etc. You should've seen the looks I got when I would pick him up at the end of the day in my VW Vanagon :lol:

Yeah at least PCC students can interact with people outside their family.

I read a great book called "The Unlikely Disciple" about an Ivy League student who went undercover at Liberty for a semester just to see what that was like. A very interesting read!

http://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Disciple ... y_b_text_b

I have that book - I thought it was pretty neat.

A guy I went to high school with is a Liberty University graduate (he would have graduated in 2003 or 2004, I think). He drinks alcohol, has tattoos, goes to sporting events, etc. He virtually never posts religious stuff on Facebook. He and his wife are cranking out babies like there's no tomorrow and they attend a local non-denominational "seeker-sensitive" church that was launched by a fellow LU graduate. They're definitely fundie lite but are nice people.

The one time I asked him about it, he said LU was not as bad as it's made out to be. I don't know if it's colored by the fact that he is fundie lite but he said the dress code was the most annoying part along with Internet access issues. It's nowhere near the level of PCC.

I went to Pensacola a few years back on a business trip and happened to drive by PCC. The campus is literally walled-off from the surrounding area.

BYU has an honor code and requirements for off-campus housing, but it's nowhere near the level of most fundie or fundie lite Christian colleges. Public displays of affection are rampant and tolerated at BYU (gotta get the kids married and making babies, after all!) and the dress code is not as strict either.

glory be, that PCC student voice site is gonna eat up most of my day, i can tell already.

loving this gem, regarding the rules:

Participating in unauthorized protest, petition, or riot.

so authorized riots are okay?

glory be, that PCC student voice site is gonna eat up most of my day, i can tell already.

loving this gem, regarding the rules:

so authorized riots are okay?

I can imagine they would be approved going to a pro-life rally or supporting certain political candidates a la PHC.

I have that book - I thought it was pretty neat.

A guy I went to high school with is a Liberty University graduate (he would have graduated in 2003 or 2004, I think). He drinks alcohol, has tattoos, goes to sporting events, etc. He virtually never posts religious stuff on Facebook. He and his wife are cranking out babies like there's no tomorrow and they attend a local non-denominational "seeker-sensitive" church that was launched by a fellow LU graduate. They're definitely fundie lite but are nice people.

The one time I asked him about it, he said LU was not as bad as it's made out to be. I don't know if it's colored by the fact that he is fundie lite but he said the dress code was the most annoying part along with Internet access issues. It's nowhere near the level of PCC.

I went to Pensacola a few years back on a business trip and happened to drive by PCC. The campus is literally walled-off from the surrounding area.

BYU has an honor code and requirements for off-campus housing, but it's nowhere near the level of most fundie or fundie lite Christian colleges. Public displays of affection are rampant and tolerated at BYU (gotta get the kids married and making babies, after all!) and the dress code is not as strict either.

I also read the Unlikely Disciple and it was very good book. After reading about PCC, I agree Liberty is nowhere near the level of PCC.

I remember learning about the BYU honor code when the Julie Stoffer/MTV Real World controversy happened.

Why on earth would this place be coed? Why not just have separate men's and women's campuses if they are so concerned about them being together? It makes no sense to have them together but then impose draconian rules and even more draconian enforcement.

When I was looking into colleges in my senior year of high school, I wanted to go to a Christian one. One of them was KMBC-Kentucky Mountain Bible College and one of the young male staff members came to talk to my parents and I about it. Only about a dozen people went to the school total-red flag one. I did have a handbook thing, but must of thrown it out since I had no use for it. I did found a recent one online. Here are some gems:

Hair dryers may not be used from 10:00 p.m.-5:45 a.m. They should not be used for drying clothes.

I like that one. I think my building needs this rule. :lol:

TVs and VCR equipment are not permitted in the dormitory, nor are students permitted to watch DVD's on their personal computers at any time. DVD movies are also not permitted in the dorm.

I personally like a tv on for background noise when I am doing work sometimes. I wouldn't like this rule.

Room decorations (posters, pictures, etc.) are to be in accord with Philippians 4:8.

Students should keep their rooms in order and ready for

inspection by chapel time.

Social Life: Not as strict as PCC, but still harsh.

KMBC promotes modesty of behavior and dress. Refrain from inappropriate touching of the opposite sex. Students must abstain from public display of affection both on and off campus. Inappropriate touching for unmarried people both on and off campus includes excessive body contact, necking, petting, and fondling. Premarital sex, extramarital sex, homosexuality,

lesbianism, bestiality, and incest must be shunned inasmuch as they violate the clear teachings of Scripture.

On Saturdays from 2:00-9:00 PM, Sundays 1:00-5:00 p.m., and one additional weekday between 5:00-7:00 PM, mixed groups of five or more students may leave the campus for up to two hours by signing out and securing permission from each of their dorm supervisors. If the excursion is to last more than two hours, an approved chaperon must be present. Mixed

groups may visit in private homes on or off-campus, but must secure permission from the Dean of Men or Dean of Women and have an approved chaperon present at all times.

All entertainment should meet scriptural standards. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.†(Philippians 4:8) “...make up your

mind not to put any stumbling-block or obstacle in your brother’s way.†(Ro. 14:13)

Any entertainment unowned by the college must conform to the standard of morality the college seeks to uphold. The college limits approved movies to those appearing on the Dove Foundation list or Focus on the

Family Unplugged magazine

Dorm students are to seek permission from the Administration before accepting off-campus employment

Students are permitted to spend one weekend with family or friends each semester.

Any student who wishes to go any place other than home during vacation should secure permission from the Dean of Students

Dress:

Women’s attire consists of tasteful, modest dresses, skirts and tops. Skirts must be long enough to cover the front and back of the knee when standing or sitting. Skirts with splits should cover the knees front and back. Sleeves are to be near elbow length or longer. Hose are worn at all times. Tight fitting clothing, as well as clothing with wide and low necklines is

inappropriate. In addition, flip-flops and overly causal wear are not permitted. These guidelines also apply to students who work in faculty and administrative offices.

Work, social activities, and class days after last period (except for evening classes) Denim skirts, denim jackets, T-shirts, socks and tennis shoes may be worn. Culottes may be worn for sports activities and for work if a work supervisor requests such. Culottes must appear “dress-like†and must cover the knees when one is standing or sitting. Hose are not required. Foot wear should be appropriate for the work assignment. Make-up for eyes, lipstick, and blush are not to be worn. Clear nail polish is permissible. Hairstyles are to be neat and attractive, long enough to be distinguishable as clearly feminine. Unnatural tinting, dying, or bleaching of the hair is not acceptable. Extreme hair-dos are not acceptable. Wedding bands, engagement rings, and small decorative pins are the only jewelry worn.

Chapel, classroom, dining hall, library

Men are expected to wear shirts with collars, slacks, non-athletic shoes and socks. Shirts are to be worn tucked into the trousers. Short sleeves on shirts should be near elbow length. In addition, flip-flops and overly causal wear are not permitted. These guidelines also apply to students who work in faculty and administrative offices.

Work, social activities, and class days after last period (except for evening classes): Tennis shoes, jeans, pullover shirts and sweatshirts may be worn. Sweats (fleece) may only be worn in same-sex groups and never in a public setting. Footwear should be appropriate for the work assignment. Special occasions, including Sundays and Thursday night meals and appearing on any church platform require coat and tie. Hair should be neatly trimmed and kept off the collar and ears. Extreme hair styles are not acceptable (i.e. bowl cuts and moats). Unnatural tinting, dying, or bleaching of hair is not acceptable. Mustaches are permitted. Otherwise men are expected to keep clean shaven.

Wedding bands, tie tacks, and lapel pins are the only jewelry worn.

Dating rules: They allow dating at least.

Dating privileges are extended after a student has been at KMBC for two months. The young man will declare the couple’s intent to date to the Dean of Women. All students will write their personal dating guidelines before beginning a dating relationship. These guidelines must be approved by a KMBC-approved accountability mentor to whom the student will be accountable while dating at KMBC. All dependent students under 21 must secure written parental approval before being permitted any off-campus dating privileges.

Archived