IGNORED

This place makes BYU look liberal

Daenerys

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think people go to PCC because it's super cheap. Tuition for the semester is $2050; Room and board is $1700. So, for about $8k/year, you can get a degree. For comparison, tuition at my local University of California is $13k/year. Room and board would be another $13k/year - for a total of $26k/year. My local California State University charges about $2k/semester, again, not including room and board. Patrick Henry College charges $11k/semester, plus $2500/semester for meals, plus anywhere from $1300-$2000 for housing. Total? About $30k/year. So, for a "buy used and save the difference" family, PCC is an obvious choice.

This makes me want to start a charity for fundy kids to go to sane places. We could call it the Fundy Fun Fund.

(Seriously, though, I go to one of the most expensive universities in Canada and its tuition is closest to PCC. WHY are uni tuitions getting so out of control?)

Anyway, the thing that creeps me out most is the shadowing. So weird. I would think that after that one would be glad to get expelled.

Holy shit I would have been kicked out the first day.

It's just pathetic that the students developed a "fad" of looking at each other to have some kind of contact. I mean, making EYE BABIES???? Wonder what their position is on a woman's right to choose regarding Eye Babies.

Pitiful.

It's just pathetic that the students developed a "fad" of looking at each other to have some kind of contact. I mean, making EYE BABIES???? Wonder what their position is on a woman's right to choose regarding Eye Babies.

Pitiful.

i'm sure they can use eye prophylactics. you know, contact lenses.

Pitiful.

You have to wonder about their stance on that? I would think it obvious. ;)

It's bad enough they think that without religion, we'd all be murdering rapists and thieves, they seem to think that even WITH religion, grown men and women can't be trusted!

I, too, wonder why they don't simply run two separate schools, one for men and one for women... but then, maybe they're supposed to get married to fellow students right out of college.

I went to BJU (not something I usually broadcast). In fact, I live about 20 minutes from the campus. While BJU is extremely conservative and even controlling, they are less so than PCC. For example, there are no gender-specific staircases/elevators at BJU, students are allowed to go public libraries (I had no idea this was against the rules at PCC), BJU is not KJV only, etc. On the other hand, there are a lot of similarities between the two schools.

Here's the link to a former student's unofficial PCC information site:

http://www.pensacolachristiancollege.com/rules.htm

Under Off-Campus Rules: "You may not go to a public library."

Oy vey.

Women are not allowed to hold off campus jobs. (All school jobs during the year pay minimum wage or below)

WTF? I do wonder how they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.

Also under social interactions

Siblings of the opposite sex should not interact in unchaperoned areas to abstain from the "appearance of evil."

Heaven forbid you actually want to have a private conversation with a sibling of the opposite sex.

I just came across something about Pensacola Christian College and decided to look it up on Wikipedia.

I have honestly never come across something that reminds me simultaneously of 1984 and the Handmaid's Tale. It seems that they have absolutely zero trust in their students' ability to make the right decision, and I can't understand why anyone would want to go there.

AT first I thought all this was a joke.

Segregated by sex elevators? Stairwells? Shadowing? :o

I wonder if some of these are even legal. And what kind of adults would submit to that crap? I'd rather go to BYU or, heck, even Liberty U instead of that shytehole.

Here's the link to a former student's unofficial PCC information site:

http://www.pensacolachristiancollege.com/rules.htm

Under Off-Campus Rules: "You may not go to a public library."

Oy vey.

Although that's upsetting, I'm more concerned over the rule against "wiping boogers on the walls". Not that there IS a rule against it - that seems reasonable to me! - but that there HAD to be a rule against it. Perhaps overly sheltered Christian students really do need more supervision than normal adults, lest they go hog wild and forget all the rules of society... including the ones about personal hygiene. (Ick!)

My cousins daughter is going there. Her family is not real fundie, they wear pants and work hard on their farm. They have 6 kids but they are all loved and cherished and not counted like sheep. They go to a kind of fundie church, but accept all the cousins as loved. And they are rabid Packer fans. LOL.

With so many rules focusing on students' sex lives or lack thereof, you just know that at least one faculty member is boinking his students.

I wouldn't be surprised. I went to a school that was pretty similar to PCC (PCC was usually one of the top "alternate choices" among people that went to HAC) and later found out there was a long history of grads from that school getting in trouble for affairs or sex with underage girls (usually when these grads went on to be pastors in small IFB churches). I think having such a focus on sex and rules lets men with those tendencies blame the women for "inciting lust" and justify all sorts of things for themselves.

Demerits and discipline

For students who do acquire demerits, PCC has three levels of punishment; students can be "socialed", "shadowed", or expelled.

PCC prohibits physical contact of any kind between members of the opposite sex. Students caught violating this prohibition are subject to being socialed. Students who have been socialed are not permitted to speak or interact with members of the opposite sex for a period ranging from one day to four weeks, depending on the severity of the offense. Students who are found with the opposite sex anywhere on campus deemed to be an unchaperoned area after 6 pm can be subject to being socialed as well.

Apparently students don't have sex or do anything "immoral" with the opposite sex before 6 pm? I would have never guessed.

No, because according to them the Catholic bible is the wrong bible.

I guess that goes the same for Orthodox Christians. Fundie Protestants are so boring and unimaginative, just like the Puritans.

Lala- I have a question about PCC- the list of rules someone linked to above mentioned "borrowing" as being against the rules. Is that true? Do they mean borrowing a book from a friend is against the rules? Or is it more like borrowing money? (i.e. taking out a loan)

I remember hearing that they employ students to mass produce sunday school curriculum materials with some not so fabulous working conditions. The female students are not allowed off campus jobs so they don't have other options.

Ohhh, this place just BEGS for some good old fanfic, and it'd even be FJ-allowed since we wouldn't be writing about any 'real life' people. Maybe something about writing rebellious literature coded to look like 'godly' literature.

Ohhh, this place just BEGS for some good old fanfic, and it'd even be FJ-allowed since we wouldn't be writing about any 'real life' people. Maybe something about writing rebellious literature coded to look like 'godly' literature.

We no longer have a subforum for any type of fan fiction and many FJers did not appreciate fan fiction populating the Snark and Chatter forum, so there really is no good place for it.

I know there's no subforum anymore (as well as the reasons, which are well founded) but it's a pity nothing of the sort would be tolerated even in Worldly Distractions. Ah well. Doesn't stop us from writing, just putting it up here.

WTF? I do wonder how they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.

Also under social interactions

Heaven forbid you actually want to have a private conversation with a sibling of the opposite sex.

I don't think there's such thing as a minimum wage in America. You have to ask why the phrase even exists...

Lala- I have a question about PCC- the list of rules someone linked to above mentioned "borrowing" as being against the rules. Is that true? Do they mean borrowing a book from a friend is against the rules? Or is it more like borrowing money? (i.e. taking out a loan)

They mean borrowing anything at all, from a book to a jacket to money to anything else. However, I never knew that rule to be enforced during the time I was there, unlike the hundreds and hundreds of unwritten rules.

The thing with the optical intercourse is that couples used to (and sometimes still do) sit in one of the common areas and get less than an inch away from each others' faces and stare into each others' eyes, and sometimes blow into one another's mouths. Think Smugger and Anna's hand sex level of creepy but without actually touching.

They mean borrowing anything at all, from a book to a jacket to money to anything else. However, I never knew that rule to be enforced during the time I was there, unlike the hundreds and hundreds of unwritten rules.

The thing with the optical intercourse is that couples used to (and sometimes still do) sit in one of the common areas and get less than an inch away from each others' faces and stare into each others' eyes, and sometimes blow into one another's mouths. Think Smugger and Anna's hand sex level of creepy but without actually touching.

blow into each other's mouth? and then we wonder why they can't kiss on their wedding day. creepy.

Archived