IGNORED

The New Year's Ball

ladypuglover

I'm just happy they spelled hors d'oeuvre right. Must have a good dining room table.

It's really sad that they can't dance with anyone but their family. Jeez. That's the fun of dances, and I do mean English Country--I used to be in a group and it was a hoot. I still remember a certain short Canadian Morris dancer who spun me so fast, my feet lifted off the ground!

Ultimately, it does sound like a lot of fun, though it would be better without the whole freaky patriarchalism stuff. And booze.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the whole "only dance with a family member of the opposite sex" rule raises questions for me. Like, since the Mortons have children who have married into other large fundie families who were presumably in attendance, does this give them a lot more options for dance partners, than, say, a fundie family relatively new to the area that has all girls and no relations present? Just doesn't seem fair!

Do relatives by marriage count, even? So could a Morton daughter dance with a Sanders son since they are in-laws? Or is that too risque and defrauding? If in-law dancing is allowed, that really puts non-intermarried families at a disadvantage (or not, depending on their feelings about English country dancing, I guess). So many rules, and I can't understand them :)

I brought up this very question last New Year. My guess is that in-laws do not count as family for the purposes of dancing - especially when the Mortons have a classic example of several from one family marrying several from another. I've seen Bethany dancing with her five-year-old brother quite frequently, but never Cleve, for example.

The first picture of this year's ball! And it's about as unhelpful as it could be. I've been wondering if this was purposeful radio silence, but maybe not. sixangles.com/01/04/dance-on/ (might need a www in front)

The first picture of this year's ball! And it's about as unhelpful as it could be. I've been wondering if this was purposeful radio silence, but maybe not. sixangles.com/01/04/dance-on/ (might need a www in front)

No WWW needed. And LOL to the photo. I need pictures soon, where are the Sanders on this?!!

I'd go as my grandfather. He ran moonshine, worked on a chain gang and could be a mean ass drunk. When not drinking, he was a charming person. However, when he drank, he was violent and cruel.

The family jokes that my grandfather's grandmother got her children in whatever manner she could. She had three different sets of kids for at least three men. She was either part or full Cherokee but no one knows her last name. My great grandfather was illegitimate and didn't know who his father was.

On my grandmother's maternal side, my family were Quakers who arrived in America through Pennsylvania. There are also a lot of Irish immigrants that married into my family.

I am also related through my grandmother's mom to Mary Dowd. IF you scroll down this page you can find an entry on her. It sounds like she didn't accept her lot as an impoverished wife very well and fought to regain her property.

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/workshops/ ... SION3.html

Mary Dowd

Another Loyalist who lost her home and land was Mary Dowd. Mary Dowd was as strong a Loyalist as her husband, Connor Dowd. The wealthy Connor Dowd continued his Loyalist activities after the Battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge, organizing a small, mounted army to join British general Charles Cornwallis, who was on his way to North Carolina. Although it did not fight with Cornwallis, Dowd’s army did fight the Patriots. The Dowds’ son was killed, and Connor fled to the British forces at Wilmington.

The revolutionaries then seized and sold his property in Cumberland County. Dowd went to England in August 1782, leaving his wife and ten children behind on their property in Chatham County. Within three months, the Revolutionary court seized the Dowd property in Chatham County as well. The General Assembly passed a special law that permitted Mary Dowd to bring legal action in her own name to collect some of the money owed to her husband. At the same time, she was actively trying to arrange for her husband’s return. Connor Dowd returned in 1783, and he made a number of trips across the ocean in the years following. For the rest of her life, Mary Dowd saw the steady loss of all the land her husband had owned before the Revolution, land that was seized or sold to satisfy the debts Connor Dowd had made in support of the Loyalist side.

No WWW needed. And LOL to the photo. I need pictures soon, where are the Sanders on this?!!

The Sanders updated with a bunch of miscellaneous December pictures and NOT the ball. I am beginning to think we're being toyed with. If you're reading this, Abbi, well played.

The Sanders updated with a bunch of miscellaneous December pictures and NOT the ball. I am beginning to think we're being toyed with. If you're reading this, Abbi, well played.

Laughing so hard at the intro to her NYE Ball post right now. So hard.

Also, Lise and Cleve look snuggly. And if Bethany really has waited until her wedding day for her first kiss I will be majorly surprised. Majorly. Especially considering all of the "Rachel and Wes didn't even hold hands!" crap, when I found pictures on the old blog of them dancing before they were married.

Laughing so hard at the intro to her NYE Ball post right now. So hard.

Also, Lise and Cleve look snuggly. And if Bethany really has waited until her wedding day for her first kiss I will be majorly surprised. Majorly. Especially considering all of the "Rachel and Wes didn't even hold hands!" crap, when I found pictures on the old blog of them dancing before they were married.

I don't see a NYE post, just the last wedding post.

Come on Morton girls, get to posting. We want to see all the pretty dresses and how much fun you all had. Yes there will be some snarking but also a lot of admiring too.

You'd have had to bring a husband or father or brother if you wanted to dance. I remember reading on an earlier invite that "to preserve purity" only family members could dance with each other.

I always wonder how many of those kids are playing doctor. I mean, really.

I think it sounds like fun. Do they realise that in Pride and Prejudice (which they quote), they didn't dance in family groups?

I think it sounds fun, too, besides the bit about dancing with family. I have three sisters, but no brothers. Trading off with my dad wouldn't go down so well. Anyway, it's not like there's much bodily touching with country dancing, just hand-holding. Last time I did Scottish Country dancing I paired up with my fiancé's brother; I wonder what they'd think of that ...

I'd probably go as Catherine the Great. Promiscuous: check; placing herself above men: check. It'd do their heads in!

I don't see a NYE post, just the last wedding post.

Come on Morton girls, get to posting. We want to see all the pretty dresses and how much fun you all had. Yes there will be some snarking but also a lot of admiring too.

It was the Sanders that posted, hence my giggles at her comment to Abbi.

I, too, laughed at the intro. I'd be surprised if Abbi's actually allowed to read FJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if LL did and passed along censored info.

I liked the Sanders girls' costumes this year. Last year their hair was too long to really pull off a 50s look and their curls fell. Noah just gets more and more smiley and comfortable-looking as time goes on, and he and Darth still look exceptionally cozy. I was disappointed that there were no pics of the "old marrieds" - I've been wondering how Rachel is holding up this pregnancy.

I can never get a feel for how large the ball actually IS, as in, how many families. As mentioned before, there were no pictures of Katie and Alan & co, but then at the end there's a pic of Esther, so they must have been there. I think certain families get featured more in certain years based on their relationships with the families who're taking the pictures, which is only natural. Based on this, I'm still eyeing a Roberts or maybe Lauren's brother (Joseph?) for one of the Sanders girls.

Also no sign of the MamaAnt family, but she did just have a baby.

I, too, laughed at the intro. I'd be surprised if Abbi's actually allowed to read FJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if LL did and passed along censored info.

I liked the Sanders girls' costumes this year. Last year their hair was too long to really pull off a 50s look and their curls fell. Noah just gets more and more smiley and comfortable-looking as time goes on, and he and Darth still look exceptionally cozy. I was disappointed that there were no pics of the "old marrieds" - I've been wondering how Rachel is holding up this pregnancy.

I can never get a feel for how large the ball actually IS, as in, how many families. As mentioned before, there were no pictures of Katie and Alan & co, but then at the end there's a pic of Esther, so they must have been there. I think certain families get featured more in certain years based on their relationships with the families who're taking the pictures, which is only natural. Based on this, I'm still eyeing a Roberts or maybe Lauren's brother (Joseph?) for one of the Sanders girls.

Also no sign of the MamaAnt family, but she did just have a baby.

Someone had posted a pic somewhere and it was of just one of the Roberts boys and Abbi. I really think they're leaning towards that match. Joseph is friends with Edgar, but I really don't see him with either sets of families. Maybe Addie?

ETA: I agree about Noah, and Darth as well. She seems much more idk, comfortable? content? now then when she was younger.

Speaking of Addie, I wonder if the Mortons got into Downton Abbey this last year? The servants' costumes made me smile.

The thing about Addie is, as flowery as her writing is, she doesn't seem very... approachable to me. Like perhaps a guy would be intimidated by her. On the other hand, the pics I see of Addie are usually chosen/taken by Addie herself, so it's not like they're candid.

Speaking of Addie, I wonder if the Mortons got into Downton Abbey this last year? The servants' costumes made me smile.

The thing about Addie is, as flowery as her writing is, she doesn't seem very... approachable to me. Like perhaps a guy would be intimidated by her. On the other hand, the pics I see of Addie are usually chosen/taken by Addie herself, so it's not like they're candid.

Martha definitely seems like she'll be an easier one to match. I already have bets on the oldest Campana boy (if they're not really cousins) or someone else in their church for her.

Addie, idk what to make of her. I don't know what exactly makes me think it, but I always suspected she's the least likely of the girls to want the family, one kid a year thing. Like if they weren't fundie she'd be a stay at home wife with a fussy dog and lots of nice fancy clothes, or work in a clothing store. Something like that.

"Queen Ester" was the best this year. Obviously they thought so as well since there are so many pics. of her with various people.

I know Noah was the MC, but I hope Darth got to dance a little. They are very young and should still get to have fun and dance and not like an old married couple.(spoken as an old married lady who would dance every dance)

I noticed there were a ton of pics of Bekah as well! (Queen Esther) If she were the oldest girl I would think this was her "coming out season" as a "girl of marriageable age" (now I'm the one who's been watching too much Downton Abbey). I suppose there's still a chance that could be the case and they're not concerned about promoting the girls in age order. But most likely they were just proud of their costuming efforts. She has turned out lovely, though.

Martha definitely seems like she'll be an easier one to match. I already have bets on the oldest Campana boy (if they're not really cousins) or someone else in their church for her.

Addie, idk what to make of her. I don't know what exactly makes me think it, but I always suspected she's the least likely of the girls to want the family, one kid a year thing. Like if they weren't fundie she'd be a stay at home wife with a fussy dog and lots of nice fancy clothes, or work in a clothing store. Something like that.

I know exactly what you mean. Like she's got the soul of a middle-aged fashionista instead of a mother Earth type.

I noticed there were a ton of pics of Bekah as well! (Queen Esther) If she were the oldest girl I would think this was her "coming out season" as a "girl of marriageable age" (now I'm the one who's been watching too much Downton Abbey). I suppose there's still a chance that could be the case and they're not concerned about promoting the girls in age order. But most likely they were just proud of their costuming efforts. She has turned out lovely, though.

Unless Abbi is "spoken for" and she's the next in line to need a spouse.

ETA: The three costumes looked good though, I think Bekah is the naturally prettiest of the girls. Abbi looks more and more like LL to me.

I was wondering last night what a FJ Ball would be like. Who would we dress up as? What food would we eat? Where would be a good venue? What kinds of games/dancing would we do?

I'm sure it would be a super fun party!

I was wondering last night what a FJ Ball would be like. Who would we dress up as? What food would we eat? Where would be a good venue? What kinds of games/dancing would we do?

I'm sure it would be a super fun party!

Oh, my! What a fantastic idea! I am the queen of theme parties, so I'm right on top of this one!

OBVIOUSLY, I would be there in a frumper of the finest calico I could find on sale. Because I'm such a Maxwell, there would be no dancing for me, but there would be plenty of burritos and turtle cheesecake to keep me occupied while all the sinners were making their bodies move to music. Perhaps while the others are busy dancing, I could be busy doing some tile work or building a wood bin or (like other fundies) gardening or killing livestock. There should never be any idle time, so if I don't dance, I've got to be doing something industrial!

I could be wrong, but I think that boy is way too young for her. Martha's already like 19 or 20. But speaking of "younger" matches I did notice that Grace is of compatible age (I THINK) with one of the next oldest Morton boys (Andrew/Tom is the next oldest, and then Sam, but I'm not sure how old either of them are).

But more importantly, what is going on with Addie? She was in the middle of leading up to Cleve's wedding and the last post was almost a month ago!

Guest Anonymous
Depends, maybe, but I'd make it a point to get kicked out early when I openly drank from my flask. I'd loiter a bit as I sauntered out and perhaps I would light a big stinky joint too. But thats just me.

HAHAHAHA... Now that the spirit. It would be one hell of a Ball if you pulled out the flask and lit up a joint.

I could be wrong, but I think that boy is way too young for her. Martha's already like 19 or 20. But speaking of "younger" matches I did notice that Grace is of compatible age (I THINK) with one of the next oldest Morton boys (Andrew/Tom is the next oldest, and then Sam, but I'm not sure how old either of them are).

But more importantly, what is going on with Addie? She was in the middle of leading up to Cleve's wedding and the last post was almost a month ago!

Archived