IGNORED

Women homeschooling

Sunnichick31

If the bible says that a woman should not have authority over a man, then how do fundies justify having their wives homeschooling their sons? If a son messes up, can the mother ground him/give him a time out, or does she have to wait for the father to do it? Does this mean that according to a very literal interpretation of the bible, a woman should obey her son, even if he's 3 years old.

I think you'll find that in many fundie families it is okay for women to teach basic reading, writing, math, etc, but it is always the father that teaches the Bible. In the Duggar family, is is always JB that leads Bible time, for example. Mom may assist in memorizing Bible verses, but it is always Dad that teaches what the stories are and how to interpret them in the family life.

Of course, then you have the real whackadoodles that idolize "men" no matter how old they are. Case in point the biblicalscholarship.net lady:

I did not keep up with Hannah's male cousin as much because of the age difference but from infancy, being in his presence made me feel as if I were in the presence of a master of the world. Man is a remarkable creature--bigger, faster, stronger, more stable. May the Christian man seek out his manhood and bring his sons along with him--hunting, fishing, building/carpentry,

If the bible says that a woman should not have authority over a man, then how do fundies justify having their wives homeschooling their sons? If a son messes up, can the mother ground him/give him a time out, or does she have to wait for the father to do it? Does this mean that according to a very literal interpretation of the bible, a woman should obey her son, even if he's 3 years old.

From what I've seen on blogs, there doesn't seem to be a problem with it, but it seems that from puberty onwards, the boy spends more time with dad doing 'man things'.

What about in Islam Sunni? Islam can be quite patriarchal, I know that in some schools of thought, in the event of a divorce the children go to the father past a certain age.

I think you'll find that in many fundie families it is okay for women to teach basic reading, writing, math, etc, but it is always the father that teaches the Bible. In the Duggar family, is is always JB that leads Bible time, for example. Mom may assist in memorizing Bible verses, but it is always Dad that teaches what the stories are and how to interpret them in the family life.

Of course, then you have the real whackadoodles that idolize "men" no matter how old they are. Case in point the biblicalscholarship.net lady:

Bigger, maybe. Faster, not bloody likely. Stronger, ditto. MORE STABLE????? Makes my blood boil.

From what I've seen on blogs, there doesn't seem to be a problem with it, but it seems that from puberty onwards, the boy spends more time with dad doing 'man things'.

What about in Islam Sunni? Islam can be quite patriarchal, I know that in some schools of thought, in the event of a divorce the children go to the father past a certain age.

In Islamic law the father always gets custody of the children on divorce unless he chooses to allow them to live with the mother. Muslims aren't generally into homeschooling (though they generally have a strong preference for Muslim schools if they are even a bit fundy-esque) so the education aspect doesn't come up very much.

See, you're saying that women get more custody rights. Maybe they do until the age of reasoning/responsibility/whatever, but after that it seems to default to the Dad, and the custody rights before the child is 8-ish years old can be completely anulled if a woman GETS REMARRIED or doesn't meet a bunch of other conditions, so I really don't see how women are favored in this. Can you please explain how you have personally come to that conclusion?\

ETA: I'm really not trying to get down on you here, but I'm honestly curious as to if you really view the information and, when thinking critically about it, see women as being favored for custody.

If the bible says that a woman should not have authority over a man, then how do fundies justify having their wives homeschooling their sons?

Tim Bayly is the only one I know of who objects to it. He says it makes sissies of teenage boys, and tyrants of mothers. Sez Tim: "Not only is homeschooling militancy not the fruit of wacko father-rule, but for years I've found some of the most intense matriarchy within the homeschool movement and families. Lip service is paid to the rooster ruling the roost, but make no mistake about it: the hen rules the rooster. Let the elders of a church try admonishing some homeschool mothers and stick around for the show."

http://www.baylyblog.com/2011/08/over-o ... ho-ar.html

Guest Anonymous

I think that in most circles a boy is considered to be under his mother's authority (which is delegated to her by the father). Honour thy father and mother is the only commandment with a condition attached - the son's days may be considerably shortened if he fails to honour his mum. Also Ephesians 6: Obey your parents, etc.

Of course, the fundie bible also says to beat the shit out of them with plumbing line from age 6mo, so if you get that right, they should be living in fear and trembling by the age that normal teenage rebellion starts to rear its ugly head.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the FLDS culture dictates that men make the decisions even when they are young. IIRC, the example given was that if a group of women were out shopping and a boy (12ish?) was with them, the women had to do what he said, leave when he wanted, defer all decisions to him, etc. I wish I could remember where I read it, but it sounds totally probable to me.

I have been thinking of this quandary about mothers being the primary homeschool teachers for these fundy families, such as the Duggars, for quite a while. If a female is smart enough to be educate their men in the basics of education (reading, writing, and basic math), then why can't females be smart enough to choose their own life partners? Why defer to their daddies? I don't get it. One the one hand, women are smart enough to be educators. On the other hand, they're not smart enough to choose their husbands. Does anyone else find that a bit (for lack of a better word) stupid?

I have been thinking of this quandary about mothers being the primary homeschool teachers for these fundy families, such as the Duggars, for quite a while. If a female is smart enough to be educate their men in the basics of education (reading, writing, and basic math), then why can't females be smart enough to choose their own life partners? Why defer to their daddies? I don't get it. One the one hand, women are smart enough to be educators. On the other hand, they're not smart enough to choose their husbands. Does anyone else find that a bit (for lack of a better word) stupid?

Totally agree!

I was told growing up in fundie land that women were very smart and some of us could even be wise as well, but that most of us make atrocious choices due to Eve's curse that was brought upon us due to her own atrocious choice.

Women are weaker and led by their avarice. Men are usually led by lust but a Godly man is led by God's will and thus can discern God's will for the women.

I spent and still spend a lot of time re-thinking every decision I make.

Curiously enough, I was acquainted with some Muslim homeschoolers when I lived in Memphis. The mom and the girls all wore head coverings. Memphis has really crappy schools, and they would have faced some blowback about their style of dress, I'm sure.

I suspect fundies rationalize it by saying a mom can have authority over her young son. You dosee some fundies who taper off homeschooling their sons as they become teens so they can go be vision forum interns or be free labor on their brothers auto lot or be some other unpaid free labor.

I do recall one defunct blog where both parents were homeschooling since the dad worked from home, I think it was musings of a mountain mama.

Once most homeschooled kids reach the teen years, they are expected to be self-motivated and follow the chosen high school curriculum. So naturally, the one on one interaction between mom and kid would slack off.

Archived