IGNORED

Jim Bob & The Wedding Dress Special

holierthanyou

About the lousy wedding dress: proclaiming that their way is better than the world's way and then producing a feeble imitation of the world's way is all over American fundamentalism in its many branches. Think of Left Behind: The Computer Game. Horrible theology aside, it was a crappy game. Left Behind itself is absolutely fractally awful--eveb L. Ron Hubbard could write better than that!--and if it hadn't had a ready-made audience of people who were desperate for something to read that validated their End Times checklists, it would have sunk without a trace. Church "Watch Night" celebrations turn New Year's Eve into five hours of excruciating boredom. Turning to clothing, there was that FLDS cult whose wholesome 19th-century clothing looked a lot like costumes from the Little House on the Prairie TV show. Less cultish fundamentalists proclaim that they are into Regency fashions and photograph themselves in bad copies of early Victorian outfits as proof. So it's not surprising that with illustrations of modest, church-ready wedding dresses readily available, Michelle Duggar ended up with this. Nor does it amaze me that "Well--we are standing in front of a camera and I have this dress on" was the extent of their planning for their renewal of vows.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's totally disturbing. He's basically telling her that NOTHING about her life or her body is private. I wonder how he treats his daughters?

Good point. I was at her house when she called her husband at work to ask if she could partake of wine and cheese someone brought. He's a wine drinker and so is she. But for her evening with the ladies, he limited her to 2 oz of wine and "not one drop more." She could eat a couple of things off the cheese plate but she couldn't get full. We guests watched in awe as she brought-out a measuring scale for liquids and measured precisely two ounces of wine. She made a big deal about it in front of us, explaining how she actively seeks to know her husband's will for her in ALL things always. Because she's a picture before others of the bride of Christ.

When I see JimBob and Michelle doing their wedding dress control/submission act, it seems like the same old familiar showmanship to me. They hope to convict Christians and non-Christians to be like how they are in their marriage. I've seen women who are totally into being controlled in a sick way and they're proud of it.

Good point. I was at her house when she called her husband at work to ask if she could partake of wine and cheese someone brought. He's a wine drinker and so is she. But for her evening with the ladies, he limited her to 2 oz of wine and "not one drop more." She could eat a couple of things off the cheese plate but she couldn't get full. We guests watched in awe as she brought-out a measuring scale for liquids and measured precisely two ounces of wine. She made a big deal about it in front of us, explaining how she actively seeks to know her husband's will for her in ALL things always. Because she's a picture before others of the bride of Christ.

When I see JimBob and Michelle doing their wedding dress control/submission act, it seems like the same old familiar showmanship to me. They hope to convict Christians and non-Christians to be like how they are in their marriage. I've seen women who are totally into being controlled in a sick way and they're proud of it.

Oh FFS. I know it's been said before, but so many of these couples are so clearly:

1. Into BDSM.

2. Scared to admit it.

3. Putting a religious gloss on it to feel better.

If you want to do the 24/7 D/S thing, more power to you. But don't pretend it makes you holy, and PLEASE, don't drag your kids into it.

Archived