IGNORED

and God said... Let there be HAM!

Deleted07

Man, you guys are seriously a bunch of bitches who have too much time on your hands. No matter what you think of their religion, they seem like genuinely nice girls who are thankful for what they have (which is a lot more than I can say for most of you). Seriously, how about turning off your computers, and taking a walk and making eye contact with real people. Your forum was interesting for a while, especially about the Duggars and Bates, but I feel pretty bad about myself when I read some of the drivel you all type here and try to pass off as "wit". BTW- you have all confirmed what I always believed about atheists. Have fun bitching, I won't be reading.

I typically just lurk here, which is immensely enjoyable, however, I want to to delurk long enough to laugh my ass off at this comment.

Back before the recession, I made a ridiculous amount of money for doing nothing important, and I sponsored some kids in India through the Christian charity organization Compassion International. I was just some agnostic bitch making more money than I needed at the time. They were wonderful Christian kids who were starving through no fault in their faith. My heart breaks when I think about their lives and how they can never expect anything better; therefore, I reserve the right to be disgusted when privileged American snowflakes believe the God of all creation is playing ham pranks with them while allowing other Christian children to starve.

Same goes for people who pray to God over sports events, or to help them find their lost house keys. or to help their kids learn long division.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the origin of the Christmas Ham was, "We can't grow enough feed to keep livestock going all through the winter except for a few breeding animals, so all we have to eat at Christmas is preserved meat, and that means ham, so yay ham!"

Anyway. I have to give them a partial pass on this one. The Christian God is a god of a material world who calls material things good. I know that we've been arguing with anti-materialist philosophers over this ever since there were Christians, but my point stands. Look at Jesus' first public miracle, when His mother murmurs, "Son, they're out of wine," and He fixes the problem--knowing full well that the wine is going to be used for a rowdy party, even. Look at the end of His time on Earth, when He shows up after His resurrection to tell some of the Apostles some important things--but first makes them a hot breakfast. So thanking God for a 20-pound ham is in keeping with Christian understanding of God.

HOWEVER. As some people have already pointed out, why can't they say, "Thank God for nudging one of us to absent-mindedly cross ham off our list so that we could joyfully accept this delicious gift from this generous person?" God works through people most of the time, after all.

The question of why everyone on Earth doesn't get a 20-pound ham is a great big thorny one. The closest my religious study group ever came to an answer was that we are free souls in a world infected by sin. So people are free to say no to grace and also free to inflict great suffering on some people if other people don't stop them, which they may not because they are free to refuse the promptings of their consciences and also possibly grappling with their own afflictors. At this point somebody dug up a citation to prove that nearly all famines have a human component: that the people who are hungry are hungry because someone else is denying them access to food, access to cash to buy food that could be bought, access to land on which to grow food . . .

Yea my comment to them about the ham not being kosher died a moderated death.

:lol:

I thought the origin of the Christmas Ham was, "We can't grow enough feed to keep livestock going all through the winter except for a few breeding animals, so all we have to eat at Christmas is preserved meat, and that means ham, so yay ham!"

In Germanic paganism, a boar was a common sacrifice at Yule.

In Germanic paganism, a boar was a common sacrifice at Yule.

DO NOT MENTION THE WILD BOARS !!Eleventy!!! Its another peanut butter war, don't do it.(back away slowly)

DO NOT MENTION THE WILD BOARS !!Eleventy!!! Its another peanut butter war, don't do it.(back away slowly)

I witnessed all the other wars but I missed the wild boar one. :? Do I even want to know?

I was involved, so I remember it well. In a nutshell: If you take your shoes off in the house or ask your guests to,you are a wild boar. The refined royalty wear shoes all day inside and even if you have white carpets and are having a playdate with 30 children you do not say a word about removing shoes. And it starts again in 3...2....1....

BOARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would make a good shirt, a boar in shoes and without.

I was involved, so I remember it well. In a nutshell: If you take your shoes off in the house or ask your guests to,you are a wild boar. The refined royalty wear shoes all day inside and even if you have white carpets and are having a playdate with 30 children you do not say a word about removing shoes. And it starts again in 3...2....1....

BOARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, I remember now. :? Oh, yes that was when.. nevermind, not worth it. :lol:

BOARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed that one, too. But, if whoever said that meant that not wearing shoes was uncouth, shouldn't they have spelled it boor?

Or did they actually mean wild pig?

Blog Post on the Seven Sisters blog... http://homeschoolblogger.com/sevensisters/786550/

:roll:

Bolding mine: They act like God crossed it off. One of them did on accident and forgot to read over their list. I've done that a time or two. God must not like me as much though because I always have to go back to the store and get the item I accidently crossed off. *grumbles*

Wasn't it in the epic "Don't ever wear black to a wedding." thread? Or was it another one. I can't keep up with this stuff.

I want ham now. God hasn't sent any.

I just love how they justify it with, GOD gave us the Ham and we KNOW it was mean't for us because we have 11 people in our family... I'm sure there are families with just as many kids STARVING across the world too, but I don't see God giving them Hams!

*sigh*

I bet it is because I don't wear frumpers. :cry: God loves frumpers. That's probably why the starving children in Africa don't get food too.

The children in Africa walk around buck naked :o Why would God give them food :twisted:

Mine is still awaiting moderation.

I do hope we have ham in hell even if its nonkosher :lol:

Wouldn't ham in hell be bacon? :P

Man, you guys are seriously a bunch of bitches who have too much time on your hands. No matter what you think of their religion, they seem like genuinely nice girls who are thankful for what they have (which is a lot more than I can say for most of you). Seriously, how about turning off your computers, and taking a walk and making eye contact with real people. Your forum was interesting for a while, especially about the Duggars and Bates, but I feel pretty bad about myself when I read some of the drivel you all type here and try to pass off as "wit". BTW- you have all confirmed what I always believed about atheists. Have fun bitching, I won't be reading.

I'm not an atheist, I'm Catholic. There are lots of non-atheists here. I like the Seven Sisters. Their cousin gave them the ham, not God. Do I have time on my hands? Sometimes. I'm retired, empty nest, don't watch much Tv. But I see people daily, take walk, read 4 to 5 books/week. And more,

I enjoy a good ham. Particularly with a brown sugar,clove and mustard crust.

I LOVE ham. I was going to get a healthier turkey to fix for my weekly meal but now I'm getting a ham. I cook one big item/week, then eat from it all week. I live alone and cooking for one isn't the same as cooking for a family.

I don't have problems with them not giving the ham away. It's God giving it to them I have a problem with. Their cousin gave it to them. If God was handing out food we'd have no starving children in the world.

I think she missed god's point and failed the test. Her cousin (a relative obviously) had a ham that was big enough to feed her entire family AND his. He is clearly alone with a single child - since the comment is that it would take him and the son too long to eat it with no mention of other family members. The "christian" thing to do would have been to INVITE YOUR RELATIVES TO DINNER YOU DUMB FUCK! This wasnt just a "free" ham, it was an opportunity to share the holiday with relatives. They probably were only offering the ham to get the invite.

FAIL

Do we know they didn't ask the cousin and his son to dinner? That is a good point.

So, does God take requests? Is it HAMS HAMS HAMS ALL HAMS ALL THE TIME or can I get some chicken & dumplings? I guess I'd take a ham if that's all he's got, but I'd prefer the chicken & dumplings.

According to my 3 kids I make the best chicken and dumplings in the world. It's the one thing they all agree on. Do you live close to MN? I could make you some but I'm not God so can't make it magically appear on your table. :shhh:

Archived