IGNORED

Proving atheism wrong... with science!

Conuly

Ah, gotcha.

Not only does their lack of logic (and their ignorance of the water cycle, a concept taught in elementary school) boggle my mind, but it's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim outright that the Bible says that the earth is only 6000 years old. What I mean is, I've heard it implied through conclusion, but I've never heard it claimed that it says that explicitly in the Bible. So of course, as someone who reads and studies it constantly wonders, where does it say that? Considering that the King James Version (the version most cherished by fundies) was published in 1611, wouldn't the earth now be 6400 years old instead? And of course you know most of them aren't bothering to look back at the original Hebrew and Greek texts the current Bible editions were all translated from :roll:

also what gets me about the Bible too, is what texts were chosen to be left out etc... and who decided on all that etc?

I'm still trying to learn a lot and often find myself confused.

Ah, gotcha.

Not only does their lack of logic (and their ignorance of the water cycle, a concept taught in elementary school) boggle my mind, but it's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim outright that the Bible says that the earth is only 6000 years old. What I mean is, I've heard it implied through conclusion, but I've never heard it claimed that it says that explicitly in the Bible. So of course, as someone who reads and studies it constantly wonders, where does it say that? Considering that the King James Version (the version most cherished by fundies) was published in 1611, wouldn't the earth now be 6400 years old instead? And of course you know most of them aren't bothering to look back at the original Hebrew and Greek texts the current Bible editions were all translated from :roll:

The bible doesn't explicitly state that the earth is 6000 years old. Young-earth creationism is a fairly new construct that some fundies came up with after carefully studying the bible and basically adding up all the dates and time-spans listed. If it says that Noah was 600 years old, then that's 600 literal years. If it says King Billy Joe Bob begat King Jimmy Ray Mike after 40 years, then that's 40 literal years. They've constructed a timeline of biblical events that gives a 6000-10000 year span from the beginning of genesis until now.

As far as making YEC claims, you should look up some information about Ken Ham's creation museum in Kentucky. The Duggars' trip there was a real turning point for me with the family, where I went from kind-of fascinated to generally disgusted with them. I'm not sure how the museum's creators survived the mental gymnastics required to make a completely literal interpretation of the bible actually work, but they tried it. Apparently millions of years is not long enough for a human to have evolved from an ape-like ancestor, but a single cat "kind" evolved into everything from a tiger to a tabby in the 4000 years or so since noah's ark. Go figure :roll:

Duggars' Big Family Reunion:

zoxZMbyy9gw

JXHcqKuT5qo

fXXrBZRsWQI

Ah, gotcha.

The PP figured it out and showed his math in this blog post http://sanderson1611.blogspot.com/2010/ ... earth.html I would imagine that most other calculations came about in a similar way.

I just showed that picture to my scientist husband, and he damn near had a fit. He developed a "WTF?" look on his face, said, "NO.....NO!!!" over and over, then mumbled something about hating fundies while walking away.

I was amused. :mrgreen:

I really wanted to call Poe on this but I read his twitter feed and he's been at this way too long for this to be a parody. Apparently Conservation of Matter isn't a topic in the SOTDRT curriculum.

I just showed that picture to my scientist husband, and he damn near had a fit. He developed a "WTF?" look on his face, said, "NO.....NO!!!" over and over, then mumbled something about hating fundies while walking away.

I was amused. :mrgreen:

If I was to show that pic to my friend's husband who is an earth and environmental sciences professor, he would also say something about fundies. I think I might send that pic to them.

My boyfriend's hardly a scientist and holds no college degree whatsoever, but even he couldn't comprehend the stupid.

*sigh* he's so smart, he really should go back.

Archived