IGNORED

Holiday question from a "Fundie"

BexRani

I am a haunter.

I not only do a haunted yard, but i operated a full-fledged haunted attraction (a haunted trail) for 3 years, took 2 years off, and am currently working the REAL DEAL-a haunted house. I was approached by a town who wanted me to come in and take over a building just for the haunt. Hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm good at what I do.

My haunt has sent a pregnant woman into labor, cause ruined pants, made people run right out of their shoes (and not come back for them!) and caused a grown man to cower on the floor, hands over his face and scream like a little bitch (my personal best scare). I've seen people so frightened they ripped the facing off a door trying to get away, and they paid me for this.

I haunt. I create gory props. I scare the shit out of people and I make money doing it. It is actually my full-time job now, in fact.

Haunters are a different breed than 'normal' folks. We just are. If someone complains to a haunter about the gory feet, next year, more than likely there will be severed heads to go along with the feet. plus hands, torso's, bloody corpses and ears stapled to the trees...

As for the Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas: It doesn't matter to me which is said, it's the meaning behind those well-wishes that matter.

You are so damn hot at this moment. ;) I love horror movies!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think pride events can be organised sensibly.

With the Sydney Mardi Gras, the parade starts in the early evening with all of the 'serious' political/ social issue groups marching at the beginning: AIDS awareness, parents' clubs with the kiddies along with their mums / dads, gay and lesbian members of the armed forces/ police/ fire and rescue service in their uniforms and so on. Later on come the more risque floats and dances. Lots of people let children watch the first part, and I think many let them see the whole thing. You still get fundies complaining about drag queens and men wearing body glitter and a smile but everyone just tells them they're shitty parents for letting their 3 year olds stay up past 8 pm anyway.

Do you have a photo of the house? People have different levels for gore. Most home decorations that I see are pretty fake looking. I have no idea if it is really R rated or not.

Seems you would have to be pretty close to someone's house to see realistic gory feet. If they have them out by the front gate can't you just knock on the door and politely ask the family to put them closer to the house so they can't be seen from the road?

I admit, I was one of those very sensitive kids who would have pitched a fit over the feet and refused to go down that street until they were gone. Seriously. And my parents would have been pissed at the owner of the house for putting something like that in their front yard. But they would never tell someone they couldn't do it.

why do people not cause problems about something so R-rated fully visible to small kids, yet cause such a problem over religious differences during other Holidays?

thanks again to everyone taking the time to share your thoughts!

In what way? Can you give an example? Do mean the whole 'merry CHRISTmas' over 'happy holidays'? Or something else?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :) I am at least glad to know I am not the only one who finds this unpleasant.

Is there anyone with thoughts on the second part of my question?

why do people not cause problems about something so R-rated fully visible to small kids, yet cause such a problem over religious differences during other Holidays?

thanks again to everyone taking the time to share your thoughts!

These seem like two very different questions to me. I can't really see the connection. One is about blood and gore around kids and the other is about people over reacting over minor things. I guess there is little reaction over the former because very realistic gory decorations around Halloween are somewhat uncommon while saying Happy Holidays is not. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

I have no children, just dogs. But I treat them like children, so this is what I tell my darling girls, Lola & Dolly. They are being raised to be proper southern debutante puppies.

They know that:

1. We are a happy atheistic heathen home. However, if someone sincerely says to any of us while at Feeder's Supply any of the following, "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," "Outstanding Kwanza," "Super Happy Hanukkah," the proper response is always a bright smile and to respond in kind. It is rude to inform someone who greeted you kindly that you take exception to their choice of greeting. (and, of course, never jump on such a kind soul. And especially do not sniff their bum)

2. They have been taught that Halloween displays, political signs for specific candidates, pink flamingos, heaps of sticks, piles of leaves or any other accouterments that homeowners wish to display are the property of the homeowner. The only proper response to being asked to admire gory disembodied feet, a mosaic birdfeeder, or a blow up doll of Rick Perry in his gay cowboy jacket is to be polite, find something, anything, to admire and smile sweetly. (and never, ever poo in the yard, even if their dog does)

3. In regards to Pride Parades, my darling girls love to see the colorful floats, the kind and affectionate people and to meet all the other pampered puppies. Now my girls are very sheltered and brought up quite primly. They rarely go outside their own little yard unless we're on a special trip or walk. So they have a less worldly view than most, I'm sure. But they do not gawk at a statuesque drag queen. They bark happily at Diva Summers as she walks by on her five inch sequined disco heels. When they see Mr. Skip and Mr. Steve in body glitter glory they are just careful not to lick except on offered hands. As a family we talk of being happy in one's own skin, one own's personality and be open and free to never be anything but genuine. We talk about how some people think because they aren't exactly human they may not be seen as my true daughters, but we know better - love makes a family. (then we go home and snuggle on the couch, watch Pricilla, Queen of the Desert)

Now that we've established that my little southern belles are nothing if not polite, what do we do when we see fundies at abortion clinics, holding signs of gory aborted fetuses, are blocking the doors, harassing women and nurses and doctors?

We hold our heads high and Mommy puts my girls on a long leash. Then she says, in a high, clear and very polite voice, twinged ever so slightly with a magnolia soft southern accent:

"My vicious pit bull loves Jesus Freak meat and my heeler mix loves to bite the ankles of the intolerant. So get the fuck out of my way."

But we do it very delicately.

I know exactly how you feel. Every time I pass a cross with Jesus nailed to it I want to hide all the childrens' eyes. Crucifixes should be outlawed.

I have no children, just dogs. But I treat them like children, so this is what I tell my darling girls, Lola & Dolly. They are being raised to be proper southern debutante puppies.

They know that:

1. We are a happy atheistic heathen home. However, if someone sincerely says to any of us while at Feeder's Supply any of the following, "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," "Outstanding Kwanza," "Super Happy Hanukkah," the proper response is always a bright smile and to respond in kind. It is rude to inform someone who greeted you kindly that you take exception to their choice of greeting. (and, of course, never jump on such a kind soul. And especially do not sniff their bum)

2. They have been taught that Halloween displays, political signs for specific candidates, pink flamingos, heaps of sticks, piles of leaves or any other accouterments that homeowners wish to display are the property of the homeowner. The only proper response to being asked to admire gory disembodied feet, a mosaic birdfeeder, or a blow up doll of Rick Perry in his gay cowboy jacket is to be polite, find something, anything, to admire and smile sweetly. (and never, ever poo in the yard, even if their dog does)

3. In regards to Pride Parades, my darling girls love to see the colorful floats, the kind and affectionate people and to meet all the other pampered puppies. Now my girls are very sheltered and brought up quite primly. They rarely go outside their own little yard unless we're on a special trip or walk. So they have a less worldly view than most, I'm sure. But they do not gawk at a statuesque drag queen. They bark happily at Diva Summers as she walks by on her five inch sequined disco heels. When they see Mr. Skip and Mr. Steve in body glitter glory they are just careful not to lick except on offered hands. As a family we talk of being happy in one's own skin, one own's personality and be open and free to never be anything but genuine. We talk about how some people think because they aren't exactly human they may not be seen as my true daughters, but we know better - love makes a family. (then we go home and snuggle on the couch, watch Pricilla, Queen of the Desert)

Now that we've established that my little southern belles are nothing if not polite, what do we do when we see fundies at abortion clinics, holding signs of gory aborted fetuses, are blocking the doors, harassing women and nurses and doctors?

We hold our heads high and Mommy puts my girls on a long leash. Then she says, in a high, clear and very polite voice, twinged ever so slightly with a magnolia soft southern accent:

"My vicious pit bull loves Jesus Freak meat and my heeler mix loves to bite the ankles of the intolerant. So get the fuck out of my way."

You must be a proud dog mama :twisted:

I know exactly how you feel. Every time I pass a cross with Jesus nailed to it I want to hide all the childrens' eyes. Crucifixes should be outlawed.

Here here! Talk about gore! That shit seriously did give me nightmares when I was a kid!

They know that:

Words cannot express how much I love this comment :D Congratulations on doing a fine job of raising your girls. They sound utterly delightful.

Okay now I have to wonder... what if one of the horror decorators decided to put out a realistic-looking crucifixion victim display? Or better yet, go whole hog and put the crown of thorns on and all, so it's obviously supposed to be speculation on Jesus?

If anyone does this they GOTTA put a camera on it to record reactions...

This whole argument is unproductive because it's so subjective. For instance, one of my boys was afraid of clowns. I understand that actually, a lot of children are afraid of clowns, and seeing clowns makes them have nightmares. Perhaps we should make rules about where clowns can be :roll:

What's incredibly tasteless to someone is incredibly funny/fun to someone else. We live in a free society and having to come across things we don't like or find tasteless or offensive is the price we pay in order to live in said free society. There actually is no right not to be offended.

It's been my experience that mostly, it's the adults that have problems with tasteless or risque displays, not the kids. If adults respond appropriately and help children put things into a logical context, then kids generally know how to "file" that away and move on. People just use the kids to hype up the hyperbole, as in "What about the children?!!!!111!!!"

Words cannot express how much I love this comment :D Congratulations on doing a fine job of raising your girls. They sound utterly delightful.

:text-yeahthat: Gizmola, you are an inspiration to the puppy-mommies & daddies everywhere! Your girls sound so gracious & sweet ... (yep - I went there. Heh-heh. :twisted: ). Hey - you could start a blog : "Joyous Puppyhood"! I'd follow it!

Okay now I have to wonder... what if one of the horror decorators decided to put out a realistic-looking crucifixion victim display? Or better yet, go whole hog and put the crown of thorns on and all, so it's obviously supposed to be speculation on Jesus?

If anyone does this they GOTTA put a camera on it to record reactions...

Dollar bet says that the same Fundies that don't like regular old horror displays would make the homeowner take that down too - saying that it's insulting to their faith and that they were just doing it to mock them. Ack! The persacushen - it's everywhere!!

Closest I ever got to that was a couple of crappy corpses I made impaled on some homemade torture devices...

Me too. I totally love Halloween but I'm the lamest decorator ever! We have one lonely life-size skeleton (Murphy) that sits on our step and that's it. :( But, I found a second skeleton, still in the package, when I was cleaning for Christmas & so next year ... we're gonna have ourselves a weddin'! Have to think of a nice name for her & get her a dress, though.

Her dress MUST have puffy sleeves!!!!

*eta* does your town have a chapter of the Yahoo group, Freecycle? If so post on it looking for a wedding dress. I wound up with a couple like that!

Her dress MUST have puffy sleeves!!!!

Yes! I just saw that post! Zoinks! Wow - and I was gonna go with the Desert-Compound Pastel Prairie Bride motif ... but early 80's could work too. :D

Dang ... riffle.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter of the gory halloween decor.

I didn't live next door to this display... But suppose I did. Suppose my next door neighbor had chopped feet hanging from their porch. What would be the best course of action if this display was causing problems/ nightmares for

My kids. I can't avoid it- its next door. Would i be able to ask the neighbor to remove that part of the display?

I don't mind halloween decor until they reach horror movie/blood-gore-guts level. one of my friends drove past a guillotine display. Very bloody. This kind of decor is what I would he concerned about.

Guest Anonymous
I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter of the gory halloween decor.

I didn't live next door to this display... But suppose I did. Suppose my next door neighbor had chopped feet hanging from their porch. What would be the best course of action if this display was causing problems/ nightmares for

My kids. I can't avoid it- its next door. Would i be able to ask the neighbor to remove that part of the display?

I don't mind halloween decor until they reach horror movie/blood-gore-guts level. one of my friends drove past a guillotine display. Very bloody. This kind of decor is what I would he concerned about.

In this hypothetical scenario I suppose you could ask your neighbor to remove the decorations while wearing a funny hat and turning cartwheels, there's nothing to stop you. Sure you can make a request of someone, but there's not much you can do if they say no. If you live in the United States this sort of thing is probably protected under the First Amendment and if people decline to cater to your wishes you're going to have to deal with it.

Like many other posters, I don't like to look at graphic, bloody, faked images of "abortions" but I don't want them outlawed. It's freedom of speech/expression.

Archived