IGNORED

Keller parents / shunning

snickerz

Daniel posted on his Facebook that he's in Florida on vacation near his parents. He emailed them to see if they could get together, but his parents "don't have time."

I don't think there's anything my kids could do that would make me write them out of my life. But what do I know? I'm not a fundy.

I'm with you. I will love my kids until the day I die. There is absolutely nothing they could do to stop that.

There is something wrong with the the Keller parents.

I just can't imagine parents doing that to their children. Perhaps if the children posed a physical threat, but the Keller shunning just seems so sad and ridiculous to me.

I'm with you. I will love my kids until the day I die. There is absolutely nothing they could do to stop that.

There is something wrong with the the Keller parents.

This times a thousand.

If they are refusing to see him because they are angry with him, I don't understand why they don't just say that. I don't think that's "right" either, but it seems better than refusing to see your child AND lying about why.

I just can't imagine parents doing that to their children. Perhaps if the children posed a physical threat, but the Keller shunning just seems so sad and ridiculous to me.

I agree.

Daniels seems like a lovable guy, a good husband, a REALLY good husband. What on earth did he do? He's happily married, he loves his sibling, he adores his wife, what is so unholy about Daniel?!

Daniels seems like a lovable guy, a good husband, a REALLY good husband. What on earth did he do? He's happily married, he loves his sibling, he adores his wife, what is so unholy about Daniel?!

Love for family is all well and good, but IF when he was 14 he wore shorts one day and to this day refuses to repent for that egregious sin, then surely a good lifetime shunning is in order... :think:

I think he's the one who the parents thought was "weak" for actually treating his wife with respect and moving to another state for her. Or didn't move to another state because she didn't want to. I'm a little fuzzy, and this might not even be someone in the Keller family.

Love for family is all well and good, but IF when he was 14 he wore shorts one day and to this day refuses to repent for that egregious sin, then surely a good lifetime shunning is in order... :think:

pullin my leg? :( (say so)

He's not doing what his father damn well pleases, that's what. These people are ALL about control. They don't love their kids for who they are, they love them because it fulfills their need to control. Once that control is removed, they have no need for them anymore.

I knew Mike Keller was a bastard the minute I heard that "transfer of authority" bullshit. I knew he was an idiot the min. he started his nonsense about grape juice :roll: . That whole wedding he was practically high on control and stupid. It makes for a dangerous combo.

By shunning the kids that won't do their bidding, it makes them feel a sense of control. They are still pulling all of the strings in the relationship. The only other option would be to accept that their children were their own people, capable of making their own choices.

yes, absolutely a joke! sorry, apparently I don't do a good job of distinguishing between sarcasm and sincerity. :(

Love is conditional to many fundies. When it comes to their children, love and acceptance are withheld when behaviors aren't within the established religious and cultural norms. Love is used as a method of control.

yes, absolutely a joke! sorry, apparently I don't do a good job of distinguishing between sarcasm and sincerity. :(

You know, people keep teasing me 24/7 because I am so naive when it comes to listening to someone whos not entirely a stranger that I believe any kind of joke. Srsly. My bad. I am really on the symptomy side when it comes to jokes.

Love is conditional to many fundies. When it comes to their children, love and acceptance are withheld when behaviors aren't within the established religious and cultural norms. Love is used as a method of control.

QFT. This is a great explanation, in my opinion.

I always thought the Kellers were somehow better people or more authentic than the Duggars. Papa Keller impressed me with his prison ministry, etc. (The prison ministry seemed to be a lot more like genuinely "giving back" than the Duggars ever do.)

I guess I was wrong. How terrible to shun children--especially when they have become, by all accounts, good and stand-up people.

The sad thing is, with these fundies, it COULD be the truth!

It's interesting that he goes and spends time with prisoners - you know, rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves, etc. and can show them kindness despite what they've done, but because his son dared to choose his own path in life, he is somehow *WORSE* than the prisoners he deals with? Interesting thought process there. (Hypocrisy much, pa Keller?)

It's interesting that he goes and spends time with prisoners - you know, rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves, etc. and can show them kindness despite what they've done, but because his son dared to choose his own path in life, he is somehow *WORSE* than the prisoners he deals with? Interesting thought process there. (Hypocrisy much, pa Keller?)

Someone with stronger guts than I should e-mail the Keller rents that. It won't do any good but at least Old Man Keller* would know that not everyone drinks his grape drink.

* I always see Keller as Yeller which makes me think of rabid dogs. Only me? Ok, I'm going to go sit over there.

Wasn't part of the Keller's problem with Daniel that he listened to his wife?

I used to like the Kellers but their treatment of Daniel bothers me.

I can't understand at all how parents could shun their children like that. Hell, I don't think even my crazy-ass family would shun me, no matter what I did.

Yeah but that's good works. Kids is hard works. :whistle:

(grammar errors on purpose)

I searched for Mike Keller onine awhile back because i was curious about the prison ministry that he runs (and wonder who's paying him to counsel prisoners..their church where Anna and Josh was married?)..came across some kind of newsletter from him dated a couple of years ago. Right there in the letter it stated "my son Daniel is moving to South Carolina with my blessing to work at ..(forget the name of it, I think it's like a school or orphanage for fundies) "and this is where he had met his wife, Candace, she was apparently a student there, no idea about her background or how she arrived there. Maybe they decided not to work at the school after all and this is why the Kellers won't talk to them? Seems very strange. It looks also like they're not talking to Susanna and possibly her sister Rebeckah, who she lives with. The oldest sister lives in Washington state, I think, and has 7 kids already- but how often do they get to see her? I can't imagine cutting off my kids because they disagree with my religious beliefs. Is this very common amongst fundies or just the Gothardites?

What Do I Do With A Rebellious Older Child when I Have Other Younger Children Still Living At Home?

If you are dealing with an older sibling who has younger siblings still living at home, then you will have to cut off ALL communication between the rebellious young adult and the other children. That means ALL forms of communication - phone calls, e-mails, letters and even eye contact! You may think this is a bit harsh and drastic, but if you don't break off all communication then you will begin the domino effect explained on the following DVD's: (You may consider getting these DVD's, letting your other children watch them, and then discussing them with them when they are finished.)

Maybe Daniel's parents are following S.M. Davis' rather dubious advice? Of course, you have to buy his DVDs to get the full scoop, I suppose.

http://www.solvefamilyproblems.com/inde ... &Itemid=18

Archived