IGNORED

The Seven Sisters got matching frumpers for Xmas + updates

Daenerys

Thank you for the links. Very compelling viewing. So these folks trade one extreme doctrine for another. One isolated lifestyle for another And Efram decides not to work but to evangelize. Not very much progress, not very much integration, still us vs them.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sola, I find pants that hit just right at Banana Republic.

I'll check that out thanks. The ones from Lands End came today! I'm very pleased with them. They sit about an inch above my hernia (my hernia is at my belly button) with about 2 inches between the waistband and my ribs so they aren't uncomfy. With someone with a shorter body than me - I have a long torso - you might find them coming up too high, but for me they are just in the right place. Leg length is perfect, the only thing I would change would be to have boot cut instead of straight leg as I love boot cut. But the high rise pants weren't available in boot cut. Oh and they were in the sale range too so were half their usual price so I am a happy bunny!

I agree with the poster who said that frumpers actually draw attention, as does a lot of look-at-me-I'm-so-modest wear.

Speaking as a godless heathen who enjoys dressing like an extra on Little House on the Prairie, YES. I mean, if I was just interested in covering up, there's plenty of options that are a lot more... um... normal-looking. I'm not dressing like that out of a sense of modesty, I'm dressing like that to one-up my hipster friends. So, you're wearing a vintage dress from 1961? HA! I'm wearing a reproduction 1861 dress! That I drafted the pattern for myself! And sewed on an antique treadle sewing machine I restored into working order! I win the "who put the most skill and effort into looking like a freak" game!!!!

Luckily, as a godless heathen I think it's perfectly fine for me to indulge my vanity and pride like this sometimes ;)

I would totally wear one of those jumpers, by the way, but only after I'd ripped out some seams to add darts. Just because I like peter pan collars doesn't mean I need to pretend I don't have breasts or a waistline.

(Uh, hi guys. I've been lurking since y'all were on Yuku but for some reason just felt like posting now for some reason :doh: )

I've been mining their site as well as their mothers to figure out where and when their screws got loose.

They referenced a camping trip to Turkey Run with the KCBC (they said it was a church camp out) so I'm guessing Baptist church.

Fathers brother drives a vette and his sisters are German Baptists (very frumper).

Mother wrote about the blessing of being preggers in 2008 after the boys were born. So that did not come to pass.

Once again I must note that they do not live on a farm nor does the family farm. References to 4H show the girls do not own the llamas they show, but 'rent' them for a few months prior to fair so they can show. I think they do keep chickens.

Mother was not home schooled and has a college degree.

Family has a 30 ft motor home and vacations and travels quite a bit. I still can't figure out what Dallas does to support this brood.

I will continue mining after I return from the RW.

over and out

edited for accuracy

They "attend a Baptist church", according to Jessica. I suspect (?) it is independent (but not ifb) given their description of everyone at the church being quite different from one another in their beliefs and dress.

we go to a Baptist church, but no one else there looks exactly like us…in fact each family in our church is pretty different from each other :D I’m not sure if we’d say that we ‘follow’ the Baptists, but we do go to a Baptist church (which we love very much! our church family is absolutely wonderful!) Hopefully that answers your question?! :D We can be a very confusing bunch…the Mennonites and Amish can’t figure us out, and we confuse other people when we say that we go to a Baptist church ;)

TY Holier.

These girls get a perverse enjoyment when the are confused with Amish or Mennonites. Its as if it is the only uniqueness they can or are permitted to express.

Speaking as a godless heathen who enjoys dressing like an extra on Little House on the Prairie, YES. I mean, if I was just interested in covering up, there's plenty of options that are a lot more... um... normal-looking. I'm not dressing like that out of a sense of modesty, I'm dressing like that to one-up my hipster friends. So, you're wearing a vintage dress from 1961? HA! I'm wearing a reproduction 1861 dress! That I drafted the pattern for myself! And sewed on an antique treadle sewing machine I restored into working order! I win the "who put the most skill and effort into looking like a freak" game!!!!

Luckily, as a godless heathen I think it's perfectly fine for me to indulge my vanity and pride like this sometimes ;)

I would totally wear one of those jumpers, by the way, but only after I'd ripped out some seams to add darts. Just because I like peter pan collars doesn't mean I need to pretend I don't have breasts or a waistline.

(Uh, hi guys. I've been lurking since y'all were on Yuku but for some reason just felt like posting now for some reason :doh: )

Welcome! I adore your screen name!

(walks off, singing "There's a bathroom on the right . . . ") :D

I'm actually very surprised that any Amish became Evangelical. That's another way they differ from modern fundies. While there are all sorts of people in every group, I have found the Amish to be far less judgmental about outsiders than fundies are, and I've never heard of any trying to convert others.

Amish don't evangelize, but they do accept converts but very few make it...I've read former Amish say the biggest issue isn't the lifestyle or even the language, but the unquestioning acceptance of the ordnung.

There is a great, resourceful website http://www.amishamerica.com. The guy who runs it is not Amish but used to work with them and has a lot of Amish friends. Lots to snark on from their comments section, as the site pulls in a fair share of fundies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered I screencapped this awhile ago. My mom and I were laughing our heads off when we saw this ad at the bottom of their blog. :lol: :lol:

I'm actually very surprised that any Amish became Evangelical. That's another way they differ from modern fundies. While there are all sorts of people in every group, I have found the Amish to be far less judgmental about outsiders than fundies are, and I've never heard of any trying to convert others.

I grew up with old order Amish, they were the only kids who'd play with us as we were Catholic in a very non-Catholic area. They were never judgmental and never tried to convert anyone.

I wear a version of the jumpers with darts at SCA camping events :oops: . Its hard to get into a dress with boning and lacing when you are in a small tent.

Just checked out the Seven Sisters Website for the first time. It was like jumping into a time warp. If this was from the 1700-1800's I'd probably find it charming in a way. Just from reading for the better part of an hour, they don't annoy me as much as some of the fundies, but it's really strange to see the lifestyle in this day and age. The 25 year old enjoying her family and mommy so much that she really rather not have to get married right now is a little odd. I don't know, maybe that's good for her to be so happy? They seem to be existing is some kind of idyllic Indiana farming life. I kind of hope they never have to navigate the real world. I don't know how 7 sisters can get along with eachother like that. Matching clothes is usually something sisters HATE to do, and "jumpers" yet. I don't know.

If I had a bit more self confidence, or perhaps a bit more craziness, I'd happily wear a jumper made out of cat fabric. Cats sitting. Cats scampering. Cats Sleeping. Cats playing with yarn.

Maybe I'll make myself a long nightgown. Hrrrrrrm.

If I had a bit more self confidence, or perhaps a bit more craziness, I'd happily wear a jumper made out of cat fabric. Cats sitting. Cats scampering. Cats Sleeping. Cats playing with yarn.

Maybe I'll make myself a long nightgown. Hrrrrrrm.

But with the jumper, you can proudly proclaim to the world that you belong to the cult of crazy cat women! :animals-cat:

I am very quiverfull when it comes to cats. I'm eyeing a 3 year old tortie for our #4. We've had as many of 5, but that is TOO MANY.

I am very quiverfull when it comes to cats. I'm eyeing a 3 year old tortie for our #4. We've had as many of 5, but that is TOO MANY.

I have eight cats (ages 7-19), no kids. I'm not Quiverfull, I'm [link=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Clowder]Clowder[/link]full.

But I consider myself a perfectly sane cat lady. Every one is spayed/neutered, is microchipped, has their shots up-to-date, gets regular vet visits (and prompt vet care when they're sick or injured), eats a decent diet, has access to a clean litterbox, receives flea treatment on a regular basis, gets brushed so they don't end up with mats, and has plenty of spots to hang out without feeling stressed or crowded. And I know that right now, some of them would prefer that I not adopt another cat (even though I could), so I won't (even though I really, really want to).

I'm a better "mother" to my cats than Zsu is to her dirty, ragged, poorly-socialized kids, in other words. That's pretty damned sad, if you ask me.

Actually I have conducted a semi formal survey (specifically, I asked my friends at lunch) and we all agree - you need at seven cats before you become a crazy lady (would post a link to crazy cat lady on the Simpsons but my cat has his paws on my laptop and is getting mad when I move him).

My main problem with the 5 cats is keeping the litter boxes cleaned - that's an area I could work on. Plus, I felt like I couldn't give them all enough attention. Right now, with the 3 we have, the house feels empty, and two of them aren't very snuggly. The third is a hussy cat who stole my headship and is always purring all over him.

My main problem with the 5 cats is keeping the litter boxes cleaned - that's an area I could work on. Plus, I felt like I couldn't give them all enough attention. Right now, with the 3 we have, the house feels empty, and two of them aren't very snuggly. The third is a hussy cat who stole my headship and is always purring all over him.

Actually I have conducted a semi formal survey (specifically, I asked my friends at lunch) and we all agree - you need at seven cats before you become a crazy lady (would post a link to crazy cat lady on the Simpsons but my cat has his paws on my laptop and is getting mad when I move him).

I always said I want to be a crazy cat lady when I am old! I recently got one cat, and now my friends are always buying me cat related things!!! I am starting to worry! lol!!!!

I always said I want to be a crazy cat lady when I am old! I recently got one cat, and now my friends are always buying me cat related things!!! I am starting to worry! lol!!!!

high squeaky voice... check

I refer to my cat as 'baby'...*gulp* check

I am contemplating a cat tree!

My cat has one vest, he wasn't impressed with... LOL

Oh myyy... I have prematurely become a crazy cat lady!!!

Yeah, that is how it starts. First you get a cat and decide to treat it like a cat and the next thing you know you are talking to your cat in a high squeaky voice and you are referring to the cat as your child and you put a huge ugly cat tree in your living room even though it totally clashes with your decor(because the cat needs it) and your cat nicer outfits than you do. Then you decide to add just one more kitten...

Archived