IGNORED

The Seven Sisters got matching frumpers for Xmas + updates

Daenerys

I don't think this family is as benign as they appear. Mom is a fan of the Pearls.

Do you think the 25 year old still gets spanked?!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is just me, but what always struck me as odd about this blog is how much these sisters oohh and aaahhh over their brothers. It doesn't seem sisterly; it is almost maternal. I don't know how to describe it, but the endless comments about how cute they are, just rubs me the wrong way.

But I wonder if the oldest girl(s) could possibly have a learning or social disability?

That is entirely possible, and it's equally possible that it's undiagnosed or that they're simply discreet about it. Some disabilities can lead to a person appearing immature, definitely.

I'm with the person who previously pointed out how creepy and sad it is that she can't wait to die so that she can travel and meet people and do things. I don't consider myself well traveled, but by the time I was 25 I'd been to both coasts of the US and many places in between, and met cool people in every spot. Nothing like being stuck at the airport bar for 3 hours to encourage making new friends. :twisted:

As for modest clothing, one of my closest friends is Muslim and wears hijab--not just the head scarf, but the whole covering everything except for her face and hands thing. If I was a bit shorter, I would steal half of her clothes. She wears things like sweater dresses with leggings and sleeveless blouses (which tend to have slightly higher necks) with blazers.

That is entirely possible, and it's equally possible that it's undiagnosed or that they're simply discreet about it. Some disabilities can lead to a person appearing immature, definitely.

Anna had some kind of an autoimmune disease that was cured by prayer :roll:

I think it was cured before gluten free, Anna was born in a hosp and diagnosed there, I think she was 2 when she got the prayer cure. The gluten free came many years afterwards when mom was dieting down to from a 22W to a girls 14 after the boys were born.

I think it was cured before gluten free, Anna was born in a hosp and diagnosed there, I think she was 2 when she got the prayer cure. The gluten free came many years afterwards when mom was dieting down to from a 22W to a girls 14 after the boys were born.

I hope mom isn't forcing her eating habits on them other than eat healthy and exercise,they are thin enough. A girls 14 is small for a woman,but I have worn a girls size 16 skirt 8 years ago which is about equal to a size 3-4 so I would guess a 14 is around a 2. I am 5'3, I think the mom is around my height. Impressive for the mom to have lost all that weight after all those kids. The girls seem to have always been tall and thin, so I don't think mom pushes them too much as they have desserts and such quite often.

Modern society... Please stop pretending that you don't know what I'm talking about. I would be a laughing stock (here's the example, or else this thread would not even exist) if I wore dresses like that. People would point their fingers and laugh out loud, call me nuts, crazy. This way, I just have to endure women's crazy jealous eyes and their disgusting husbands' look most times, bad enough. I would not judge any people, esp women who try to cover their body all the time.

I think you think too highly of yourself.

I hope mom isn't forcing her eating habits on them other than eat healthy and exercise,they are thin enough. A girls 14 is small for a woman,but I have worn a girls size 16 skirt 8 years ago which is about equal to a size 3-4 so I would guess a 14 is around a 2. I am 5'3, I think the mom is around my height. Impressive for the mom to have lost all that weight after all those kids. The girls seem to have always been tall and thin, so I don't think mom pushes them too much as they have desserts and such quite often.

They are now on some weird GAPS diet. I attempted to read about it but it was too weird.

The dad is short, I'm wondering if the boys will be short with huge towering sisters. They do have this very weird facial 'look' about them, even if you eliminated their weird clothes they all would look slightly odd.

I'm only 4'10, and worse yet, shaped like an apple. And plus sized, although even when I'm in regular sizes, buying jeans is an exercise in pain and torture. Lands End jeans and pants don't fit me at all - the waist is too small for my hips/legs. By the time I can button them, everything else is swimming on me.

Poor girl, you're my physical twin.... it's always fun clothes shopping with my 6 feet tall skinny MIL, neither of us can find things that fit without alteration!

Guest Anonymous
Modern society... Please stop pretending that you don't know what I'm talking about. I would be a laughing stock (here's the example, or else this thread would not even exist) if I wore dresses like that. People would point their fingers and laugh out loud, call me nuts, crazy. This way, I just have to endure women's crazy jealous eyes and their disgusting husbands' look most times, bad enough. I would not judge any people, esp women who try to cover their body all the time.

You have issues. Scratch that - you have subscriptions. You obviously despise other women, you're a conspiracy theory nut, and you fling homophobic and misogynistic slurs like you get paid for doing it. Sort yourself out because that stuff is not cool.

Wow, really? That makes the frumper/Peter Pan collar combo so much odder, somehow. Just imagining a super-tall woman dressed like an 8-year-old Mennonite girl... too weird.

Being a child to their parents is all they know. They've never had the chance to be in different roles other than a little kid within this family. They've never had a chance to be a teenager among other (modern) teenagers, a young adult fast food restaurant worker serving customers, a college student interacting with college professors, a small business owner managing a kiosk in a mall, etc. They know childhood, and what little they know about adulthood are the roles they see their parents playing.

Most people in their mid 20s don't change their lives radically if/when they marry. Even if they are living at home, they've come and gone as they pleased, worked jobs, attended school, etc. The transition from committed dating relationship to engaged couple to married couple isn't as great as the life upheaval these girls (women?) would have if they married. No wonder the 25 year old is in no rush to marry. It's a big, scary, unknown to her. Either that, or she's desperate to get married and she's blogging otherwise to hide that fact.

Most people in their mid 20s don't change their lives radically if/when they marry. Even if they are living at home, they've come and gone as they pleased, worked jobs, attended school, etc. The transition from committed dating relationship to engaged couple to married couple isn't as great as the life upheaval these girls (women?) would have if they married. No wonder the 25 year old is in no rush to marry. It's a big, scary, unknown to her. Either that, or she's desperate to get married and she's blogging otherwise to hide that fact.

This! When my husband & I got engaged, we were around each other almost every day, and pretty much spent every weekend together. Although we didn't live together before we got married, it wasn't too horrible an adjustment because my presence had already been established in his house as our relationship progressed. Our combining lives was a gradual process; we knew each other really, really well by the time we said our wedding vows.

But would a Mennonite man generally be ok with marrying an outsider?

This is the problem I see with a lot of first- and second-generation fundies. They're too isolated to marry "worldly" spouses, but they're not part of any organized group that they can marry into. I think a lot of these families would be better off just converting to Amish or Mennonite, although the Duggars would probable consider them too liberal for allowing Rumspringa. But the fundies who go for headcovering especially seem like they are just mimicking Mennonites.

It depends on the Mennonite congregation. She'd likely have to convert in the more conservative circles, but there is a wide range of Mennonite congregations. You have ones that drive horse and buggies (Old Order Mennonite...similar to Amish but they allow print dresses and men can generally wear whatever they want...also they have meeting houses and many allow electricity in their homes). Then you have the friends I grew up with, who were 100% mainstream (one of my girlfriends who introduced me to Smashing Pumpkins went on to get her Masters in Divinity from Goshen College...obviously very liberal!).

However, I would think even the more conservative Mennonites and Amish would find them strange and sheltered. Many of the Old Order Amish young women work in stores and restaurants and have daily contact with mainstream America.

Yeah, there is a mennonite church in the next town over from us. The congregation are completely normal, no frumpers, no headcoverings, liberal etc. They look nothing like the 7 sisters or any fundie mennonite we might snark about on here.

It depends on the Mennonite congregation. She'd likely have to convert in the more conservative circles, but there is a wide range of Mennonite congregations. You have ones that drive horse and buggies (Old Order Mennonite...similar to Amish but they allow print dresses and men can generally wear whatever they want...also they have meeting houses and many allow electricity in their homes). Then you have the friends I grew up with, who were 100% mainstream (one of my girlfriends who introduced me to Smashing Pumpkins went on to get her Masters in Divinity from Goshen College...obviously very liberal!).

However, I would think even the more conservative Mennonites and Amish would find them strange and sheltered. Many of the Old Order Amish young women work in stores and restaurants and have daily contact with mainstream America.

It has always seemed so weird to me that Amish and Mennonites are more liberal in some ways than fundies. I know the Amish are patriarchal, but they definitely don't have the Daddy worship thing going. They also encourage their marriage-age kids to mingle with each other, and have parties to get the ball rolling. It's all still supervised, but they just aren't as obsessed with "emotional purity" or making the boy jump through hoops to please Daddy before the girl even knows he's interested. And I think their dress code is less about sexual modesty and more about the general type of modesty of not getting too caught up in fashion to try to get attention. So in a lot of ways, fundies just wouldn't fit in, but they really have no chance of surviving for multiple generations unless they accept some of the ironically liberal aspects of the Amish and Mennonites.

Maybe the boys can wear normal looking clothes while they are still young? Its probably cheaper for them, and they're more practical for their ages. I know in one of the comment sections, the girls explain their head coverings. They didn't begin to wear them until they claimed they were of an age to know why they were choosing to do this. its in the huge section of the :::Farmgirls::: tab. No mention of the boys though. The person responding in the comments section says they all "love" to dress the same. I'm sorry, but I think that's a little weird for grown women to be so childish.

It has always seemed so weird to me that Amish and Mennonites are more liberal in some ways than fundies. I know the Amish are patriarchal, but they definitely don't have the Daddy worship thing going. They also encourage their marriage-age kids to mingle with each other, and have parties to get the ball rolling. It's all still supervised, but they just aren't as obsessed with "emotional purity" or making the boy jump through hoops to please Daddy before the girl even knows he's interested. And I think their dress code is less about sexual modesty and more about the general type of modesty of not getting too caught up in fashion to try to get attention. So in a lot of ways, fundies just wouldn't fit in, but they really have no chance of surviving for multiple generations unless they accept some of the ironically liberal aspects of the Amish and Mennonites.

Many of the fundies we discuss here wouldn't consider Amish people Christian anyway, because they follow rules but not from the Bible--from the Ordnung. Many Amish can't read their own Bibles any more, because they are written in an old and obscure form of German that's no longer understood.

There was a documentary about an Old-Order Amish family that became Evangelical. I watched it on Youtube. Just exchanging one set of rules for another, unfortunately, with even less understanding. :(

@clarinetpower: I would love a link to that former amish youtube video

Oh Yeah I saw the documentary not long ago actually, it was very interesting!

I have to admit it brought to light a lot of things that I didn't realise about The Amish ordnungs etc.

I'm actually very surprised that any Amish became Evangelical. That's another way they differ from modern fundies. While there are all sorts of people in every group, I have found the Amish to be far less judgmental about outsiders than fundies are, and I've never heard of any trying to convert others.

Archived