IGNORED

The Seven Sisters got matching frumpers for Xmas + updates

Daenerys

Honestly, I am confused. I think every day of the year except weekends in the summer I wear pants and/or skirts that are at least knee length, and I never show cleavage. A good number of the women I know and see on a daily basis dress this way too. Really, you can dress modestly and not look like you stepped out of Little House on the Prairie...or to me, dress in a way that infantilizes you. Perhaps the exception could be Miami or LA or someplace where the weather is warmer much of the year.

Completely and totally agree with the bolded statement.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I am confused. I think every day of the year except weekends in the summer I wear pants and/or skirts that are at least knee length, and I never show cleavage. A good number of the women I know and see on a daily basis dress this way too. Really, you can dress modestly and not look like you stepped out of Little House on the Prairie...or to me, dress in a way that infantilizes you. Perhaps the exception could be Miami or LA or someplace where the weather is warmer much of the year.

I don't go for "modesty" because I have serious problems with that word and the ways it's used to keep women in line. But the way I dress would definitely be considered "modest" by most standards I've seen. And I dress that way simply because it's far more flattering on me to not have everything hanging out. I like long, sweeping skirts and tunic tops, and wear them all the time. In the summer I wear cropped linen pants or cute cotton skirts that hit below the knee (even when I'm sitting). I hate anything tight, or anything I have to keep adjusting lest I have a wardrobe malfunction. My body is not a object for public viewing or approval, so I dress to satisfy my own desires for comfort and dignity (not to mention aesthetics). And I learned to sew so I could always have clothes that met my personal standards.

And "modern society" doesn't seem to give a shit, even when what I'm wearing isn't on-trend. In fact, I get a lot of compliments on my clothes. When I showed up at a black-tie event last year in an elegant cocktail dress that actually had sleeves and didn't show all the goods, I was bombarded by women asking me, "Were did you get that dress?!" They were disappointed when I said I'd made it--so clearly, "modern society" isn't determined to go around half-naked, or shun me for refusing to. And at that event I had no trouble talking to either men or women--not being skimpily dressed, women didn't see me as a threat (despite my being single and there without a date). Men treated me with respect, and while I did get some openly admiring looks, none of them were sleazy or inappropriate.

So yes, it's entirely possible to dress like an adult, with dignity as well as style, while keeping things covered--without resorting to frumpers. And I see women do it every day.

First time posting here, have been lurking for a while. I just wanted to say that I love their house. Yes, it's a bit country for my taste, but it's looks so warm and cozy and like a happy place. Sappy, I know.

Not necessarily. They don't exactly have an expensive lifestyle and I doubt housing is expensive in their patch of the back of beyond.

Jessica, the oldest, was 25 on Xmas eve. Reading down her list, it sounds like a list of thanks I would expect from a girl of twelve, not a woman who has been an adult for seven years. Interesting that marriage is mentioned as only a possibility for a long time in the future, and not now, even though she is definitely a bit past it by fundy standards. I wonder what her parents think about this?

Seriously! This poor girl is so sheltered. I'm 19 and at my 'tender young age' I'm thankful for things like there isn't a draft, there's tequila in my freezer, my heat didn't get shut off this month, I made rent, I have a minimum wage job, I have a husband who supports me and allows me, nay, encourages me, to wear short skirts.

As well he should.

Yeah I agree with the infantizing the older women, exactly what they look like... Women in kid clothes!

I notice the older girls headcover too, its almost Amish in a way.

Totally agree though you can be modest without being frumpy and childlike! I think Kate Middleton, Prince Williams new bride, is a great example of this! She's trendy and yet covered!

It's really not often I have entire lists of things that bother me about blog posts, but as dear Jessica loves them so very much I will make one. I have to disagree with the OP - I think their frumpers are some of the ugliest I have seen, at least material-wise.

1. "they love me and understand me better than anyone else in the ‘entire-wire world’ (as we rhymer-timers like to say sometimes!)"

That isn't a rhyme, it's something a three-year-old would invent. Also, Jess, they're called poets.

2. The people I know who are born at Christmastime always say it's the worst time of year to be born, because people give you joint birthday-Christmas presents, rather than giving you two different sets of presents. They also say it's bad because, amongst other things, people are on holidays or too busy to come to birthday parties, people cheap out on your gifts because they have to buy so many for other people, people tend to overlook your birthday because they're more interested in Christmas... and so on and so forth.

3. Stop saying "'tis"! It doesn't give you credibility as a writer/poet!

4. "adorable, cute, charming, and ornery..."

Er... do you know what 'ornery' even means? One of these things is not like the others. Your brothers are adorable, cute, charming and horrible?

5. 'Entire-wire world'? 'Bestest? 'Mommy?' 'Makes me smile and skip?' You apparently think of yourself as quite intellectual, but you have the vocabulary of a small child. Also: you skip at twenty five? Why? What would give a twenty five-year-old woman occasion to skip? I'm twenty six and cannot think of the last time I had occasion to skip anywhere.

6. You basically listed Christmas twice. Why? Couldn't bring yourself to be grateful for the fugly frumpers you wear?

7. The way you go on and on about how you just can't wait to die is kind of disturbing. You get to travel 'like you wouldn't believe'? Really? Where does the bible say that? And ruling at the side of Jesus? What makes you important enough to rule heaven? Do you really think Jesus needs the help of someone who thinks 'entire-wire' is a valid rhyme at age twenty five?

Jessica really comes across as incredibly naive and vapid. She seems much nicer than the average fundie, but I can't help but think that's because... well... she's a bit more vacant upstairs.

It's really not often I have entire lists of things that bother me about blog posts, but as dear Jessica loves them so very much I will make one. I have to disagree with the OP - I think their frumpers are some of the ugliest I have seen, at least material-wise.

1. "they love me and understand me better than anyone else in the ‘entire-wire world’ (as we rhymer-timers like to say sometimes!)"

That isn't a rhyme, it's something a three-year-old would invent. Also, Jess, they're called poets.

3. Stop saying "'tis"! It doesn't give you credibility as a writer/poet!

4. "adorable, cute, charming, and ornery..."

Er... do you know what 'ornery' even means? One of these things is not like the others. Your brothers are adorable, cute, charming and horrible?

5. 'Entire-wire world'? 'Bestest? 'Mommy?' 'Makes me smile and skip?' You apparently think of yourself as quite intellectual, but you have the vocabulary of a small child. Also: you skip at twenty five? Why? What would give a twenty five-year-old woman occasion to skip? I'm twenty six and cannot think of the last time I had occasion to skip anywhere.

:bow-yellow:

I agree with all of that. You said it better than I could.

She is dumbing herself down.

Jessica, put on some real clothes, cut your hair, get a job and for the love of baby jeebus, move out of home!

7. The way you go on and on about how you just can't wait to die is kind of disturbing. You get to travel 'like you wouldn't believe'? Really? Where does the bible say that? And ruling at the side of Jesus? What makes you important enough to rule heaven? Do you really think Jesus needs the help of someone who thinks 'entire-wire' is a valid rhyme at age twenty five?

OH YES I totally mean't to say something about that passage:

the hope and assurance of eternal life…when I think about how real eternal life is, I can hardly wait! We certainly aren’t going to be sitting on clouds playing harps for thousands of years…we’re gonna meet people, do things, travel like you wouldn’t believe, rule and reign with Christ, and see Him face to face every day. And we’ll be able to sing as long as we like and never get tired and never mess up. And we’ll be perfect, and clean, and never-ever tempted again. sigh. I can’t wait!

Its actually a big shame that she seems to think she can't do those things she mentioned here on Earth right NOW! I mean really, why can't she meet people, travel, DO THINGS.... Why the frick does she have to wait until she dies!?!?!

I think this paragraph is itself VERY telling of how honestly sheltered and depressing her life is and saying she can't wait to be perfect, clean and never ever tempted... This is almost disturbing makes me think she feels guilty and punishes herself for even the smallest of faults! (or Father makes her feel guilty and punished for these 'sins'.) I actually feel very sorry for her.

You don't have to wear a frumper to be modest, do you? I have a decent figure and I still have options other than formal and sexy. I am wearing a baggy cowl-necked sweater that goes almost to my knees with jeans right now. I think it covers as much or more of the key areas as a frumper, but I don't look like I crept out of the eighties.

I have only had a few men be rude and that's exactly what they were: rude and few. Most guys take me very seriously and I am pretty damn cute with disproportionately large breasts.

I agree with the poster who said that frumpers actually draw attention, as does a lot of look-at-me-I'm-so-modest wear.

THIS! Exactly my thought!

6. You basically listed Christmas twice. Why? Couldn't bring yourself to be grateful for the fugly frumpers you wear?

I maybe love you for this comment... wanna get a coffee?

I maybe love you for this comment... wanna get a coffee?

Ha ha, sure thing.

Seriously, is that mommy dearest? If so... wow, that makes me angry. Is she so threatened by her daughters that she puts them in clown collars while she gets to dress 'of the world'?

Is mommy dearest threatened by her daughters? Is that why she can wear something besides a frumper and have a nice modern hairstyle, while her daughters wear head coverings? It's crazy. It even looks like she has makeup on too. Those poor girls are so brainwashed.

To be fair, mummy-dearest has her hair pulled back in her usual style and if you look closely you can see that she's still wearing her doily/headcovering. (But no, I don't understand why she's wearing a tracksuit in that picture. Usually she wears the same sort of outfit as her daughters.)

I don't go for "modesty" because I have serious problems with that word and the ways it's used to keep women in line. But the way I dress would definitely be considered "modest" by most standards I've seen. And I dress that way simply because it's far more flattering on me to not have everything hanging out. I like long, sweeping skirts and tunic tops, and wear them all the time. In the summer I wear cropped linen pants or cute cotton skirts that hit below the knee (even when I'm sitting). I hate anything tight, or anything I have to keep adjusting lest I have a wardrobe malfunction. My body is not a object for public viewing or approval, so I dress to satisfy my own desires for comfort and dignity (not to mention aesthetics). And I learned to sew so I could always have clothes that met my personal standards.

And "modern society" doesn't seem to give a shit, even when what I'm wearing isn't on-trend. In fact, I get a lot of compliments on my clothes. When I showed up at a black-tie event last year in an elegant cocktail dress that actually had sleeves and didn't show all the goods, I was bombarded by women asking me, "Were did you get that dress?!" They were disappointed when I said I'd made it--so clearly, "modern society" isn't determined to go around half-naked, or shun me for refusing to. And at that event I had no trouble talking to either men or women--not being skimpily dressed, women didn't see me as a threat (despite my being single and there without a date). Men treated me with respect, and while I did get some openly admiring looks, none of them were sleazy or inappropriate.

So yes, it's entirely possible to dress like an adult, with dignity as well as style, while keeping things covered--without resorting to frumpers. And I see women do it every day.

Bolded phrase somewhat proves GGC's point. Mass produced apparel for women is pretty limited in style and colour, not to mention fit. Being a designer/seamstress, I've had a number of clients frankly pissed off with what's available in stores. Friend of mine was just recently complaining about her 10 yo daughter growing out of girls size 16. Regular neck t-shirts are now a difficult thing to come by, they all are scooped or low Vs.

Last party i went too, i wore an evening dress that is a black velvet kind of loose sheath with short sleeves and a high mandarin collar. I'm completely covered from my neck to my ankles in it, and I always get a lot of compliments on it. So yes, elegant can be 'covered' without being 'frumpy'.

It looks like they have alot more freedom on the internet then the Duggar kids they seem to really enjoy You Tube.

I noticed this too, and a Pinterest, Facebook and Etsy account. Maybe their parents feel they did a good job raising them and can trust them to use judgement.

They are sheltered, they are naive. If something happened to their Parents though I think they'd be able to pull up their bootstraps, grow up and be ok. Not sure the Duggar kids could.

I haven't read a lot of the blog, but... are we sure it's their mother's idea for them to dress like that? Or even their father's? Maybe it's the older sisters keeping this thing going.

Modern society... Please stop pretending that you don't know what I'm talking about. I would be a laughing stock (here's the example, or else this thread would not even exist) if I wore dresses like that. People would point their fingers and laugh out loud, call me nuts, crazy. This way, I just have to endure women's crazy jealous eyes and their disgusting husbands' look most times, bad enough. I would not judge any people, esp women who try to cover their body all the time.

Isn't it great that we have the internet, where we can sit and judge other people on their choices on a snark board, especially their choices to be poor and unhealthy, then brag about our fabulous bodies, great knockers, and amazing attractiveness to men, not to mention of course the PRESSURE to dress in a way that just enhances our absolute drop-dead gorgeous assets, all while sitting in our jammies with greasy hair wearing hipster/geek glasses and drinking coffee? And of course, it's society's fault. :roll:

Please.

Found a modest dress for you.

2w70g0m.jpg

I don't know, I'm 28 and I skip sometimes (when my ankle isn't twisted). It's really good exercise, and I figure that as a grown-up, I can do whatever I like without having to justify it to other people. Sometimes that means skipping. Other times it means reading smut. Whatever.

I don't know, I'm 28 and I skip sometimes (when my ankle isn't twisted). It's really good exercise, and I figure that as a grown-up, I can do whatever I like without having to justify it to other people. Sometimes that means skipping. Other times it means reading smut. Whatever.

:D

Me, too, and I'm 38. But then again, I'm usually hand-in-hand with my 4-year old, so it's socially acceptable. Heh.

I haven't read a lot of the blog, but... are we sure it's their mother's idea for them to dress like that? Or even their father's? Maybe it's the older sisters keeping this thing going.

I wondered this too after seeing a few of the birthday posts showing pictures of them growing up, that the frumpers to the floor all the time seemed to kick in around the time the oldest two were old enough to start sewing. So maybe its a half/half thing. They don't seem to have any issues with others wearing jeans, capris, and regular shirts so maybe its just their thing.

I know my oldest hates pants and has for years. She lives in Lands End cotton dresses. Nothing with defined waists, ruffles, etc. Just pain cotton with an A line skirt. I've given consideration to buying her a sewing machine and classes so she can make her own clothes. Thankfully, my other kids do not have the same requirements.

As far as finding modest clothes. It can be limiting. I know shortly after the low rise thing hit the fashion scene that I had a really hard time finding any pants that did not have a low rise and this was for my toddlers. Why the hell does a kid still wearing training pants need a low rise pant. :?

Archived