IGNORED

OMM targeting Family Dollar for being open on Christmas

lilwriter85

I know that in my family, we celebrated yesterday since my brother and SIL had 3 places to go to for her side of the family today. I sometimes think that OMM and others who think it's a sin for people to work on Sundays or Christmas would consider a version of original sin is babies being born around Christmas, even though what they claim to celebrate was somebody's birthday, which was actually moved to convert those pagans who celebrated the Solstice.

My ex-husband refused to work mostly because he didn't want to have to work on Sundays, even if he got a shift after church. He's even been fired because he refused to come in when asked on a Sunday. Pretty much if an employer had to chose between him and someone who was willing to work on Sundays if asked, my ex wouldn't get hired.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the majority of non-essential businesses are closed on Christmas, I do think it's a crappy thing for these companies require people to come in and work for MW on Christmas. So you know what I do? I just don't shop on Christmas and they don't see my money. Problem solved on my end. Meanwhile my husband is on call today until 9 pm and I cool with that because we're Muslim. Hopefully some Christian doc is spending time with their family today.

I hadn't checked OMM's site in awhile and I checked it awhile ago when I was waiting for some food to finish in the oven. One of the their most recent targets is Family Dollar stores for being open on Christmas. Subjects like this aren't black and white issue to me. But I think OMM is making a huge deal out of this based on what was written on their site.

It irks me that OMM acts like Family Dollar is damaging their employees' lives by having them work on Christmas. I worked on a Christmas one year and it wasn't the end of the world for me or my family. I don't have kids, but my parents understood that I wouldn't be around on Christmas during the day. OMM also acts like all families have the same Christmas traditions. I know several families that open gifts on Christmas Eve or Christmas night. Some families do modify traditions if work or other circumstances happen.

OMM also acts like other retailers are going to do the same thing. Again some retailers do have commitments to not being open on certain holidays and I doubt other retailers will follow Family Dollar's lead, if they choose to have locations open on Christmas. Their decisions will likely be influenced by other reasons.

Edited to add link.

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=429

I bet a lot of these million moms are the same people who go out to eat after church and then judge their servers for working on Sundays.

The only other thread I've read about the OMM was the Sweddy Balls one. However, I don't really get the feeling they are that concerned about corporate greed or workers' rights. I think it's more about "How dare anyone not celebrate Christmas?!omg111!!".

I wonder if they said anything about stores opening on Thanksgiving or midnight Black Friday..

I don't know it would need to be open, but I don't see the big deal really. Count me in as well as one that was shocked at the generalization. I am single, childless college student and most employees were/are the same. A few are women who work there as a second job in the evenings. If it was open and one of them was scheduled to work and I wasn't, I would take their shift gladly so they can be with their child or children instead. I usually eat with my parents, sibs and a couple relatives at my parents home, but it's not a big deal to me.

I work retail and they are open New Year's Day, but a little later than normal. I will be working then and it does not bother me. It's just a day. Would they target my store for being open on a holiday or is it just created Christian ones that we have to protest? I mean, most stores and such are closed that day, right? ;)

When I worked retail I always volunteered to work on holidays because I was paid double time. It was never a problem for management to find holiday volunteers; we were eager for the extra money.

Ok I was a little surprised to learn Family Dollar was open today. Honestly? I wish I had known earlier. I walked to Dollar General earlier today because a girl I know stole most of my girlie products and I was in desperate need... and they were closed. But it was okay, my stepmother came through. I didnt think about FD because what with DG and Wallyworld being closed, I didnt expect anyone else to be open. But you know something? I'm GLAD places like that ARE open because sometimes, you just NEED to get something, and if you can't get it, you have to wait 24 hours even though you need it RIGHT NOW. Now I will keep this in mind for next Christmas haha

I aplogize if the girlie products comment was tmi... Im not trying to be Michelle Duggar, honest!

When OMM posted this on their FB page, one person said he didn't mind working on Christmas becuase he was Jewish. Then someone else posted, "You're going to Hell anyway. I hope you enjoy the weather down there while I'm up in Heaven." The people who told the second person to shut up were equally awful, saying things like, "We're never going to win over unbelievers if we talk like that" and "I'd rather have a Jew next to me in Heaven than you."

I don't know it would need to be open, but I don't see the big deal really. Count me in as well as one that was shocked at the generalization. I am single, childless college student and most employees were/are the same. A few are women who work there as a second job in the evenings. If it was open and one of them was scheduled to work and I wasn't, I would take their shift gladly so they can be with their child or children instead. I usually eat with my parents, sibs and a couple relatives at my parents home, but it's not a big deal to me.

I work retail and they are open New Year's Day, but a little later than normal. I will be working then and it does not bother me. It's just a day. Would they target my store for being open on a holiday or is it just created Christian ones that we have to protest? I mean, most stores and such are closed that day, right? ;)

I think they will only protest stores or businesses being open on created Christian holidays. My boyfriend and I ate dinner at his parents house and one of his aunts works at a nursing home. She is the type of person who doesn't have issues working on holidays if she has to. She mentioned that Christmas and Easter are the usually the holidays that most employees try to get off. I get the feeling that OMM probably wouldn't care if Family Dollar was open on the 4th of July or Thanksgiving.

I've worked in healthcare for a while and thus have worked holidays for a long, long time.

I really hate the whole "OMG honor the civil servants (doctors/nurses/cops/EMT folks) who are SERVING US on the holiday." What about the gas station workers, the movie theater workers, that also work on the holiday?

Hah, faux outrage. If they really cared so much for single mums and workers, they'd be fighting for the right to a decent living wage, affordable childcare, and the right for them to belong to a recognised union and fight for better workplace conditions, not the right to lose a probably much needed triple time payment.

I'm not taking annual leave over this holiday (just public holidays) and I have worked on call and night shifts loads of times. I do not relish enforced idleness, I am not bothered about holidays (usually forget my own birthday) and I do like double and triple time payments ;) I would be opposed if someone was feeling forced into it but aside from that, nonissue or what.

ExoticFamiliarity -- Wow, you get time and a half for any Sunday ??? That is amazing !

I have slightly mixed feelings about the 'open on Christmas' thing ... I've worked at plenty of jobs where working Christmas is required .. and in addition to the 'necessary' services that obviously have to be 24/7 ... many people do go for fun activities like restaurants and movies.

I just kind of dislike the whole constant consumerism where every store has to be open seven days a week 24 hours a day in order to buy more and more stuff. I know it shouldn't bug me, but it kind of does.

Hah, faux outrage. If they really cared so much for single mums and workers, they'd be fighting for the right to a decent living wage, affordable childcare, and the right for them to belong to a recognised union and fight for better workplace conditions, not the right to lose a probably much needed triple time payment.

No because then there's the crowd that thinks if all the single moms got married that would solve all their problems...

No because then there's the crowd that thinks if all the single moms got married that would solve all their problems...

:text-yeahthat:

After all, if they're divorced, they should've stayed with their husbands, and if they're just single, well, they shouldn't have had teh secks to begin with... :angry-steamingears:

I just kind of dislike the whole constant consumerism where every store has to be open seven days a week 24 hours a day in order to buy more and more stuff. I know it shouldn't bug me, but it kind of does.

Totally agree. Up here there were some Macy's stores that were open 24/7 in the three days leading up to Christmas. I felt sorry for the workers, as I imagine most of them are hardly used to working overnight shifts.

:text-yeahthat:

After all, if they're divorced, they should've stayed with their husbands, and if they're just single, well, they shouldn't have had teh secks to begin with... :angry-steamingears:

I agree that OMM doesn't really care about single women with children. However, I wanted to add that most women I have worked with who were parents were also married. It was just side work or a second job. Sure, we have had single mothers working, but for the most part-married women were the ones there with kiddos. Some had/have grown or almost grown children, but they are mostly married. Of course, most of the employees are like me-single (well, maybe with a bf/gf), childless college students trying to make ends meet or earn extra cash.

Lilwriter-I was just joking-I know those holidays don't matter to people like OMM. Honestly, I can't recall if the store i worked for was open Easter (I think it was closed) or the Fourth of July. It probably was closed, but I can't remember for sure-I didn't work that day regardless. I think it was closed now that I think about. It is closed for Thanksgiving. It opens at 4AM Black Friday (never again :shock: ).

I don't like the "it's only important for people to get vacations if they've reproduced" attitude, either. But what bothers me the most is that these sorts of boycotts/demonstrations end up hurting the very people the organization claims to care about.

I hate OMM so. very. much. They're based in freaking Mississippi, but their influence has oozed out nationwide. They're the reason I couldn't buy Schweddy Balls ice cream (Stop & Shop caved into their pressure) way up here in New England for my friend's Festivus party.

Family Dollar should remain closed on Christmas. Yes, essential services need to be 'open'-fire dept, hospitals, police, etc. I agree 100% with OMM on this!

I don't see why they would be open, but if they want to make a business decision to stay open, fine. My objection would be if they were not taking volunteers and instead forcing certain employees to work. If they asked for volunteers, then... I see it as a business decision for them.

I bet they found people to volunteer. Here people get double-time and a half for holidays. I have worked in retail, and my husband currently works retail, and there are always people willing to work (parents or not). My husband and I went to a matinee yesterday, and the clerk we were talking to was delighted to be getting paid 2.5x more an hour than usual to to issue tickets.

Here you have the legal right and protection to refuse to work a holiday. You just will not get stat pay for it.

I also hate the attitude that only parents matter. People without kids have families, or things they would like to do, too!

I bet they found people to volunteer. Here people get double-time and a half for holidays. I have worked in retail, and my husband currently works retail, and there are always people willing to work (parents or not). My husband and I went to a matinee yesterday, and the clerk we were talking to was delighted to be getting paid 2.5x more an hour than usual to to issue tickets.

Here you have the legal right and protection to refuse to work a holiday. You just will not get stat pay for it.

I also hate the attitude that only parents matter. People without kids have families, or things they would like to do, too!

Yes, this!

Preach it! :dance:

On the other hand, i can't fathom WHY I would need to go to the dollar store on Christmas day (if I was Christian). Walgreens is open, as is Meijer and probably most chain grocery stores if I needed like, baby tylenol or a last minute ingredient for dinner.

maybe a case of cheap pregnancy tests?

On the other hand, i can't fathom WHY I would need to go to the dollar store on Christmas day (if I was Christian). Walgreens is open, as is Meijer and probably most chain grocery stores if I needed like, baby tylenol or a last minute ingredient for dinner.

maybe a case of cheap pregnancy tests?

I for sure don't need those. I already know i'm host to a womb parasite currently.... LOL

as it was, my MIL tried to take me grocery shopping (was too sick to drive) and NOTHING but walgreens was open.

Archived