IGNORED

Duggars' Christmas Gifts

uncreative

I've decided I feel bad for Grandma Duggar and Aunt Deanna. Michelle and Jimboob chose to have that many kids but the relatives still probably need to provide Christmas and occasional birthday gifts (you know when Mom and Dad remember that there was a birthday).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legos are a gift that you give yourself. Even the whiniest, brattiest kids will shut up for an hour if you give them Legos. My mom used to baby-sit her neighbor's twins after school. They were generally good kids, but they just teased each other non-stop. I let them borrow some of my Legos and they were silent all afternoon. They even managed to share without bickering. And it shouldn't be a problem with the Duggars since they've trained their older girls to keep things clean.

Please tell that isn't for one of the howllers but maybe Jennifer or Jordyn.

I'll preface this by saying that I dont believe in wrapping gifts - ever (I also dont do cards to go along with gifts or flowers under any circumstances) BUT... I'm seeing a whole lot of red white and blue... closeout wrapping paper from the summer?

I'll preface this by saying that I dont believe in wrapping gifts - ever (I also dont do cards to go along with gifts or flowers under any circumstances) BUT... I'm seeing a whole lot of red white and blue... closeout wrapping paper from the summer?

hehe...I wrap birthday presents in the Christmas paper until it's gone.

Just as a tip... Amazon wish lists. When the kids tell me about some awesome thing that they want, I add it to their wish list. It helps me remember and also, when relatives ask me what to get them for birthdays or holidays, there is a public site to refer them to. We have a huge family flung out over numerous states and now we all do it. All you have to do is click "Buy" and it is sent to the recipient! The exact item, in the correct color and size. It's great for adults too because adults usually have a certain book they want to read or whatever.

I tried that with my family, but it was just soooooo difficult! :roll: This time, I added a "kid's wish list' board to pinterest (with links to Amazon) and it worked. Everything that was sent was off that list.

Don't understand the issue with the Amazon wish list, but my family is whack so there ya go.

I know its totally off topic, but I despise wrapping paper (and flowers). Its just so wasteful!

My mom hasn't thrown out a gift bag in years. Dad does most of the gift-wrapping because she despises it so much. Really, I don't see the point on making sure all the gifts are wrapped with perfect edges and covered with ribbon like my mother-in-law does, because it's all going do get thrown away anyways. I'm just lucky that the gifts survive the presence of my kid and cats.

A college fund for the older Duggars kids would be nice.

HAHAH They are so classy... The price tag is still on this one:

IMG_1082.JPG

That doesn't bother me so much as the fact that none of their smiles look genuine. They've been told to smile for the camera, and they're complying, but...that's it.

That, and the fact that everyone's clothes (at least from the waist up) are color-coordinated--deep red, black, navy, gray, white. You can't tell me that's not a calculated decision, made with cameras in mind. I mean, my family was incredibly stuffy and image-obsessed when I was a kid, but even they weren't that controlling. And who is the one who picks coordinated clothes for everyone? A Duggar? A show staffer? Weird.

My mom hasn't thrown out a gift bag in years. Dad does most of the gift-wrapping because she despises it so much. Really, I don't see the point on making sure all the gifts are wrapped with perfect edges and covered with ribbon like my mother-in-law does, because it's all going do get thrown away anyways. I'm just lucky that the gifts survive the presence of my kid and cats.

I love wrapping paper, but I'm crafty so I recycle it into cards, ornaments, and other holiday decorations. At holiday gatherings, I'm the one taking everyone else's wrapping and tissue paper, flattening it back out, and setting it aside so I can take it home.

A few years ago, I ended up with two big packages of white paper bags--like fast food or lunch bags, but with no printing on them. Someone was going to throw them out, so I took them. Since most of the gifts I give tend to be things like small handcrafts or cookies, they're a perfect size. I use colored Sharpie markers and rubber stamps I've carved to decorate and personalize the bags, and add a tag I've made from recycled magazines or giftwrap. Much as I love different colors and patterns pf giftwrap, I really dislike actually wrapping gifts with it--cutting it to the right size, getting the corners neat, folding the ends just right--but decorating the bags is a lot of fun (and it would be a great project with kids). Plus, I always have the right giftwrap, no matter what the occasion. :lol:

That, and the fact that everyone's clothes (at least from the waist up) are color-coordinated--deep red, black, navy, gray, white. You can't tell me that's not a calculated decision, made with cameras in mind. I mean, my family was incredibly stuffy and image-obsessed when I was a kid, but even they weren't that controlling. And who is the one who picks coordinated clothes for everyone? A Duggar? A show staffer? Weird.

This is "a thing" in some families. It's a thing in my family, it's really dorky and wrong but I do it anyway. Every Christmas Eve my kids get a new pair of pajamas, because that way when I take pictures in the morning they will be wearing something cute. This will be the first year that their pajamas are not identical but they will "match" as in "be in the same color scheme". Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year I am laying out their Christmas dresses to wear to church. Normally those are for various recitals at this time of year. They are dresses with empire waists, the top is black velvet and the skirt is tartan. I have a black sweater and a tartan skirt as well. My husband wears his black suit and a tartan tie. I fully realize how embarrassing and dated this is. I don't care.

IOLQZ6rxyEE

(The Christmas shopping is about 9 minutes into it, and then click onto part 2 to see the rest.)

The Duggars draw names for who is buying a present for who. The reasoning (as said by Jill) was that it "makes it more special for everyone", but those Goodwill gifts didn't look too special to me. The ones in the photo album actually looked nicer than these.

Doggie, ur form of to the point snarkiness hits my funnybone every time

Yes.

That's kind of what I thought, too. The fun part of Christmas shopping for my kids is that I *know* what they're going to love...what will make them jump up and down and squeal.

Does anyone else think Boob and Mullet give lists of what not to buy? i bet the ban certain books, CD's and toys.

That would make the kids more likely to look than if they just never mentioned those things. How are they going to hear of them otherwise?

This is "a thing" in some families. It's a thing in my family, it's really dorky and wrong but I do it anyway. Every Christmas Eve my kids get a new pair of pajamas, because that way when I take pictures in the morning they will be wearing something cute. This will be the first year that their pajamas are not identical but they will "match" as in "be in the same color scheme". Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year I am laying out their Christmas dresses to wear to church. Normally those are for various recitals at this time of year. They are dresses with empire waists, the top is black velvet and the skirt is tartan. I have a black sweater and a tartan skirt as well. My husband wears his black suit and a tartan tie. I fully realize how embarrassing and dated this is. I don't care.

We do this too! In fact I'm kind of disapointed that I won't be able to wear my coordinated outfit this year since I didn't expect to get so big with this pregnancy so quickly and thought I'd still fit in my regular clothes. We don't do everyone matching but we aim for the same color. Last year my son wore olive green smocked overalls (he was 10 months) and a off white shirt. My husband had a olive green sweater with khakis and I wore a olive green skirt with an off white sweater. When we have multiple kids they'll probably match or at least really coordinate. My MIL sews so she makes my son's Christmas outfits. Growing up my husband's family always coordinated and I think it looks nice in the pictures. Once our kids get older we'll probably lay off it but for now with a little one it's kind of cute in my opinion.

We do this too! In fact I'm kind of disapointed that I won't be able to wear my coordinated outfit this year since I didn't expect to get so big with this pregnancy so quickly and thought I'd still fit in my regular clothes. We don't do everyone matching but we aim for the same color. Last year my son wore olive green smocked overalls (he was 10 months) and a off white shirt. My husband had a olive green sweater with khakis and I wore a olive green skirt with an off white sweater. When we have multiple kids they'll probably match or at least really coordinate. My MIL sews so she makes my son's Christmas outfits. Growing up my husband's family always coordinated and I think it looks nice in the pictures. Once our kids get older we'll probably lay off it but for now with a little one it's kind of cute in my opinion.

I'm moving away from matchy-matchy as they get older. Our family pictures this year I picked 3 colors that looked good together and made sure everyone was wearing two of them. We looked good together without being in basically the same outfit. I picked pink, yellow and white because they were spring pictures. Nobody really noticed that we "matched" but everyone commented on how great the pictures were.

:lol: I love it! I would do the same thing if I had kids. For family portraits, the dog, my hubs and myself, I make sure the dog's collar matches my shoes and the husband and I are wearing the same color shirt. It is weird and I don't care. I love it.

Edited for a riffle.

You know, all this discussion of outfits makes me think...

They have a community closet.

None of the clothes actually belong to the kids

It's another way to control them. Can't leave if you have nothing of your own to put on.

Sick fuckers.

My kids will shank you over legos, especially if it is the final piece that someone needs to make the Warthog for the little lego Master Chief.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember building a massive lege castle (complete with torture chamber) that my younger sister wanted to play with (she was 2 yo at the time). I knew she would destroy it, and my mom was constantly on me to let her play with it but I was vigilant and basically ignored my mom. One day I came home from school, and there was my castle, in a trillion little blocks all over the floor. I can forgive my mom for some things, but man even 20+ years on that one still makes me mad :angry-fire:

Srsly, I'm over it :lol:

:violin:

I bet this whole thing was planned by their publicist.

And I bought that exact same Melissa and Doug music set for my TWO YEAR OLD several years ago.

I don't have a problem with coordinating for family pics and such, but who gets that dressed up to open Christmas gifts? We opened gifts this morning (Christmas Eve), and the kids wore their jammies! I couldn't expect my kids to change their clothes before gifts (hell, I could barely get my 4yo to let me check and make sure that he was dry before releasing him!).

I don't have a problem with coordinating for family pics and such, but who gets that dressed up to open Christmas gifts? We opened gifts this morning (Christmas Eve), and the kids wore their jammies! I couldn't expect my kids to change their clothes before gifts (hell, I could barely get my 4yo to let me check and make sure that he was dry before releasing him!).

The "can't get them dressed" before opening presents is why they get new pajamas on Christmas Eve over here. That way they can tear into their presents with abandon and I still get reasonably cute pictures.

Archived