IGNORED

Children's book suggestions needed

MarciaBrady

I'm looking for children's books that would help to explain different religions and belief systems to children. I already have some books that deal with Christianity, but I'm always open to hearing about new ones on that subject. And I would also like to find books about Judaism, Buddhism, really any religion or belief system that's widely practiced. As well as books about holidays celebrated within that religion or belief system (such as Hanukkah, Kwanza, and any others I may be leaving out.)

The age range doesn't matter too much - it can be anywhere from books for toddlers all the way up to school age (but hey, if you have good books on the subject for teens, go ahead and throw those suggestions in here too and I'll file them away for the future.)

Thanks!

Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday : )

Other than that little hint, I'll think on it. We must have some books in this house that apply. Storybooks are okay too?

Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday : )

Other than that little hint, I'll think on it. We must have some books in this house that apply. Storybooks are okay too?

Yes, I'm aware that Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday. I said "within that religious or belief system."

But Kwanzaa isn't part of ANY religious or belief system. It's secular. You might as well ask for books on the 4th of July since, after all, religious people celebrate it too.

Marcia, all I could find in google was this:

'Children Just Like Me' Series of books.

and also googling "Religions around the world" comes up with a few titles as well.

Hopefully some others will be of more help to you.

Good luck! :-)

But Kwanzaa isn't part of ANY religious or belief system. It's secular. You might as well ask for books on the 4th of July since, after all, religious people celebrate it too.

I really didn't think I had to spell it out for you, but since I do, I was referring to any holiday that is outside of the mainstream. I have children's books on Christianity and all Christian holidays, as well as all secular holidays that are fairly mainstream. I am now looking for children's books for holidays that I don't regularly celebrate.

But nevermind since you seem unable to respond to my posts without rudness and condescension. I will stick to getting suggestions from other posters who are able to respond to my posts without getting so snippy.

Marcia, all I could find in google was this:

'Children Just Like Me' Series of books.

and also googling "Religions around the world" comes up with a few titles as well.

Hopefully some others will be of more help to you.

Good luck! :-)

Thank you for your help.

There's an author/illustrator 'Demi' who has beautiful illustrations in his books, and several of them deal with central religious figures from different religions (e.g. Buddha, Jesus, etc)

Archived