IGNORED

Take the Christ Out of Christmas article - interesting

gibbsgirls

I came across this article by Amy Sullivan the other day and found it very interesting. She is a Christian woman and wants to remove Christ from the season's celebrations. I found it very interesting & have given this deep thought. I know there is a large range of beliefs here at FreeJinger, and was wondering what every one else thought of this. Here's the article:

http://www.guampdn.com/article/20111213 ... -Christmas

She is doing the same thing as the people who scream Don't Take Christ out of Christmas but in reverse. It's as if some Christians don't realize that they control their own lives.

But as a Christian who wants to focus on the spiritual rhythms of Advent and truly commemorate God's gift of his son to the world, I find that the Christmas season gets in the way.

So? I' have met humble Christians before but apparently they don't exist on the internet. Many Christians have smaller celebrations. They focus on Jesus and not the commercial aspects. Yes, you can do that. Even as an atheist, I don't feel overwhelmed by the commercial glitz. That is because I shop early and don't do more than I want.

The writer has missed that she is in control of her own actions. She can have a more modest celebration. Why should what other people do bother her? Ignore it.

But that's precisely my point. Do Christians really want to think of the son of God as the reason for reduced-price waffle-makers and winter wonderland scenes at the local mall?

When I was a Christian, I never confused the commercialization with Christmas. Granted, we've never had a lot of money to buy big presents but I also never made as big a deal out of the holiday as others do.

The battle for the soul of Christmas ended a long time ago, and cultural forces won

Again, she is looking outside of herself. She is supposed to look within herself. It doesn't' matter what other people do for Christmas.

In fact, with few exceptions, the U.S. Congress met on Christmas Day every year until the mid-19th century.

John Stewart earned a 'Pants on Fire' for saying this same thing on his show. He very graciously admitted that he was wrong.

So it's time to stop pretending that Christmas the cultural winter celebration is about the birth of Christ

This depends on the individual. She might not be able to separate her faith from the commercial glitz but that is a personal problem.

And despite campaigns by social conservatives to eliminate the greeting "happy holidays," when a store clerk wishes me a "Merry Christmas," she generally isn't saying that she hopes I enjoy my religious observance of Christ's birth.

How the heck does she know what the store clerk means and why does it matter anyway?

See, this is my beef with mainstream American Christianity. It has become egotistical. She is still concentrating on what she feels and assumes that others must have a similar reaction. Instead of recognizing that her problem may not be shared by others, she assumes that most Christians have the same problem. She than proposes that other people change to suit her needs.

I would enjoy the goodwill and merriment of X-mas without reservation if I no longer felt it was co-opting and eclipsing my religious holiday. Lighting the Advent candles and reading daily devotions would provide a quiet respite during X-mas season. And on Christmas morning, instead of collapsing in an exhausted and mildly resentful heap, I could begin the real celebration with a full heart.

She can have a smaller celebration if she wants. Why does she not realize that she is in control?

Edited to add: Ironcially, some of the most humble Christians online are actually members of this site. I reread what I wrote and didn't mean to make it sound as if all Christians who go online have some sort of ego problem. :oops: Sorry, you guys

Archived