IGNORED

Young evangelicals leaving church at all-time high

SquirrelySquirrel

Pretty cool little article from CNN.

(CNN) -- Republican conservatives should be worried. Evangelical churches that frequently support conservative candidates are finally admitting something the rest of us have known for some time: Their young adult members are abandoning church in significant numbers and taking their voting power with them.

David Kinnaman, the 38-year-old president of the Barna Group, an evangelical research firm, is the latest to sound the alarm. In his new book, "You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church and Rethinking Faith," he says that 18- to 29-year-olds have fallen down a "black hole" of church attendance. There is a 43% drop in Christian church attendance between the teen and early adult years, he says.

I'm not surprised. These young dropouts value the sense of community their churches provide but are tired of being told how they should live their lives. They don't appreciate being condemned for living with a partner, straight or gay, outside of marriage or opting for abortion to terminate an unplanned pregnancy.

It goes on to give some statistics, some of which are pretty heartening.

Guest Anonymous

It is an interesting article, but it seems to be based on the premise that young people leave the church because they are dissatisfied with certain kinds of teaching.... which implies that if the church could 'reconnect' with them on theological issues, then they would come back to church.

Personally, I left church in my 20s because I left behind the 'black and white' thinking that characterised my teenage years, fundamentally examined my beliefs and came to a new belief that there is no God. There is nothing that a Church could do or change within itself to tempt me back - that ship sailed a long time ago.

You know things like this doesn't always happen in my Church, but then I'm not an Evangelical

My church is open for questions and doubts, but still the young people come to church.

It is an interesting article, but it seems to be based on the premise that young people leave the church because they are dissatisfied with certain kinds of teaching.... which implies that if the church could 'reconnect' with them on theological issues, then they would come back to church.

Personally, I left church in my 20s because I left behind the 'black and white' thinking that characterised my teenage years, fundamentally examined my beliefs and came to a new belief that there is no God. There is nothing that a Church could do or change within itself to tempt me back - that ship sailed a long time ago.

Yeah, it's not so much about people leaving church for good, but leaving for a time, and that time is becoming longer and longer. I wonder if this trend continues to grow, if it could force some of these places to loosen up a bit and become a bit more liberal?

But isn't it also true that people of all religous persuasions drop out of organized religion at that age? It's definitely an age where people reject ideas and consider new ones. I think the big issue is if people go back to the church when they are older and have kids. A lot people rejoin when they have kids to give their children a religious identity.

I do think the evangelical arguements agaisnt gay rights become a harder sell with each year we see that gay marriage is legalized in several states and it hasn't hurt hetero marriages.

Guest Anonymous

Is there a rigorous longitudinal study behind the story, that I have missed?

Regardless, there is still no evidence that the people that have left the church in the current generation will ever go back.

Is there a rigorous longitudinal study behind the story, that I have missed?

Regardless, there is still no evidence that the people that have left the church in the current generation will ever go back.

Agreed. In my own case I left the "Church" at a young age. I don't intend to ever go back. I would miss the sense of community and belonging, but I never had it. Instead I felt and chaffed against the constant judging, rules, and misogyny. I never felt the Holy Spirit in church, just irritation, frustration and a sense that I wasn't enough.

ETA I wouldn't be honest unless I added my church experience also included shame, guilt, and isolation.

....I've hesitated to bring this group to my beloved hive's attention

http://higherthings.org/

While I can't wholeheartedly support the Lutheran church bodies that still forbid women's ordination, I have a soft spot for true Lutheranism, where people are treated as if they have a brain and not required to check it at the door. FTR, women are respected - among the Lutherans I've known over 60 years - as intelligent creatures, the powers that be just don't permit them to be ordained. Don't hate Lutherans!

Anyhow, I provide the info on Higher Things because when I paid attention to it, it seemed to be a growing organization offering a distinct alternative to the trite (IMHO) and predictable rock-out-with-your-faith-out youth gatherings that are big on concerts and some charity work away from home.

HT, as I understand it, seeks to provide solid Lutheran scholarship and discussion of life from the Lutheran point of view to high school and college Lutheran youth. Yeah, they still have fun, but they are treated as though - follow me here, Doug Phillips - they have brains.

TTBOMK while LCMS numbers are slipping as are most denominations', HT is engaging more youth with respect for the youth.

Possibly this is what other evangelical groups are missing, in simply continuing to preach morals and more morals and dismissing the Gospel as "something we may get to, next week."

I dunno.

This makes me hopeful. Very few of my friends are believers, and among those who do hey are liberal Christians. I really don't know anyone who goes to church on a regular basis except for a couple coworkers.

Guest Anonymous
....I've hesitated to bring this group to my beloved hive's attention

http://higherthings.org/

While I can't wholeheartedly support the Lutheran church bodies that still forbid women's ordination, I have a soft spot for true Lutheranism, where people are treated as if they have a brain and not required to check it at the door. FTR, women are respected - among the Lutherans I've known over 60 years - as intelligent creatures, the powers that be just don't permit them to be ordained. Don't hate Lutherans!

Anyhow, I provide the info on Higher Things because when I paid attention to it, it seemed to be a growing organization offering a distinct alternative to the trite (IMHO) and predictable rock-out-with-your-faith-out youth gatherings that are big on concerts and some charity work away from home.

HT, as I understand it, seeks to provide solid Lutheran scholarship and discussion of life from the Lutheran point of view to high school and college Lutheran youth. Yeah, they still have fun, but they are treated as though - follow me here, Doug Phillips - they have brains.

TTBOMK while LCMS numbers are slipping as are most denominations', HT is engaging more youth with respect for the youth.

Possibly this is what other evangelical groups are missing, in simply continuing to preach morals and more morals and dismissing the Gospel as "something we may get to, next week."

I dunno.

It is still all about presenting the Gospel though and, ultimately, many of us left because we simply no longer believe it to be true.

They don't appreciate being condemned for living with a partner, straight or gay, outside of marriage or opting for abortion to terminate an unplanned pregnancy.

I think that the write is incorrect in their assessment. It isn't the fear of condemnation but the realization that gay marriage, living with a partner or an abortion aren't horrible acts that should send a person to hell. It is difficult to relate to a religion that condemns acts that the person believes aren't wrong.

Sounds a lot like Democratic ideology to me.

It sounds like the writer is incorrectly assuming that Repulicans=Christianity

There are a lot of people who just no longer believe in God or Christianity, but I don't feel like that's the majority. Most people I know who leave still believe in God, but are somewhat disillusioned with their church.

That's good, is it?

I mean Evangelicals can be really really crazy, can they?

They aren't fundies, if that's what you're saying. Fundie-lite, maybe, but even so there are plenty of liberal Evangelicals out there.

That said, I'm done with Evangelical churches. If I ever go back to church, it won't be an Evangelical church.

My first thought was, "Eh, no problem--there are plenty of folks looking for Instant Answers to Everything who'd be all too willing to take their place."

It's pretty common for young adults of all denominations to jump ship, and then return after they marry and have kids.

I think that the write is incorrect in their assessment. It isn't the fear of condemnation but the realization that gay marriage, living with a partner or an abortion aren't horrible acts that should send a person to hell. It is difficult to relate to a religion that condemns acts that the person believes aren't wrong.

ITA. I'm in my mid-20s and used to go to church and church activities regularly but I can't bring myself to believe God cares about those issues plus so many others nearly as much as some seem convinced, if He even cares at all (which for the most part I feel that no, He really doesn't care). Then you add political stuff on top of that from clergy and/or fellow churchgoers (don't tell me how it's bad to vote for X person when you're voting for Y person because of the supposed moral issues, oh and you want every last penny you've earned going to you and not those lazy poor) and no thanks, I'll stay home. Maybe at some point I'll live in a city with an awesomely liberal UCC or Episcopal church. I'd be happy to try that out but until then, again, no thanks.

It sounds like the writer is incorrectly assuming that Repulicans=Christianity

That's true, although there is some fairly compelling statistical evidence that regular church attendance and strong belief in Christianity are associated with Republican leanings. And I think the corollary of the writer's logic that, "Evangelical Christians = Republicans", while not always true, is a fairly accurate general statement.

My associate pastor had an interesting statistic from a local evangelical megachurch's experience. Apparently within a year, 12% of their new members have joined the Episcopal Church.

Archived