IGNORED

Ah the life - Modesty and a Weapon

Witsec7

How to dress modestly and still pack a weapon :roll:

I linked to ahthelife.blogspot.com/2006/06/womans-wear.html and found this highly instructional article on how I could carry my favorite weapon and still look sweet.

Mind you folks there was a time when I had a carry permit, I was working as a labor organizer and traveling long distances alone. In later years when I came out as a pacifist I kept my carry permit and just didn't pack. After Columbine it all changed for me and I decided that as a pacifist owning and carrying were a bit too dissonant for me.

"Andrea and I have been carrying for several years now. All those years we were in dresses too. I commend you for upholding a standard of femininity and modesty when many are deterred by a perceived inconvenience."

Really ladies? FANNY PACKS? We can debate the merits of conceal and carry laws all day, but I really feel the case is closed on the fanny pack issue.

:shock:

where do these women live that necessitates a gun at all times??????

I really dislike guns anyway... and the thought of a small child sitting on someone's lap while she has a gun strapped to her thigh? Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Also, "fanny packs" = fashion no-no. Just sayin'

I really dislike guns anyway... and the thought of a small child sitting on someone's lap while she has a gun strapped to her thigh? Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

This exactly.

I actually want to take a concealed carry or gun safety course, just so I would know how to handle myself, but the idea of having a gun anywhere in the vicinity of my child is just ... :shock:

Shouldn't manly powerful things like guns be left to the strong, manly men around them? Such a thing is too powerful and complicated for delicate little ladybrainz. Isn't the whole point of patriarchy that a woman never has to worry about stressful matter like protecting herself, because the man in her life (dad or husband) is responsible for that? This just seems really contradictory.

If you have a habit of carrying only when you are alone, when you do go somewhere with your father or husband, you'll be unarmed and if you have to separate temporarily, say at the grocery store or something your habit produced an unarmed scenario.

A poorly parsed sentence from a SAHD age 32.

Concealed carry is very popular in my area in the PNW. There is a local Tea Party lady who holds classes on it, and also has outings for homeschooling moms to the local gun range. Conservative fundie-lite homeschooling moms with guns is a scary issue to me, mainly because I know the women involved. I'd be more comfortable if the pagan unschooling moms I know were doing it, frankly, because these evangelical chicks seem trigger-happy.

All of this. :shock:

Oh, yes, the guns=power fallacy. I have an uncle who concealed-carries because he's a small business owner and has been robbed a few times. Didn't do him a lick of good the last time he got robbed, because the guy had a gun pointed at his head before he could reach for his own.

Concealed carry is very popular in my area in the PNW. There is a local Tea Party lady who holds classes on it, and also has outings for homeschooling moms to the local gun range. Conservative fundie-lite homeschooling moms with guns is a scary issue to me, mainly because I know the women involved. I'd be more comfortable if the pagan unschooling moms I know were doing it, frankly, because these evangelical chicks seem trigger-happy.

But why? I sort of get it if you're in the outback where there are bears or other wildlife, but to the farmer's market, the grocery store, on vacation??? What are they afraid of?

But why? I sort of get it if you're in the outback where there are bears or other wildlife, but to the farmer's market, the grocery store, on vacation??? What are they afraid of?

Yup even the feminazi's around here pack. I think they pack because their afraid of the 'wingers IMHO.

If you have a habit of carrying only when you are alone, when you do go somewhere with your father or husband, you'll be unarmed and if you have to separate temporarily, say at the grocery store or something your habit produced an unarmed scenario.

A poorly parsed sentence from a SAHD age 32.

Where are they grocery shopping? I've been going to grocery stores all. my. life. and not once has the need for a firearm arose. Seriously, are their supermarkets filled with shifty-eyed thugs trying to cartjack you in the produce aisle?

Paranoid freaks.

Now, granted, if I were out there fishing and hiking in rural Alaska, I'd want a gun on me too. They have a whole different class of bear out there. Big cats too I think.

I really don't have words for this kind of idiocy and paranoia.

These "girls" would DIE if they had to live where I live--which is not really a dangerous area, but it looks crummy, has a negative reputation, and lower-income brown people outnumber middle-class people of any color in my neighborhood. And yet somehow, after 3.5 years here, I have never felt the need to pull a gun while grocery shopping--or at all. But if they think they need to carry all the time in suburban San Antonio (maybe? I can't remember), they'd probably roll through my neighborhood in a tank.

BTW, I hope Kelly (is that the older one?) enjoys her upcoming 35th birthday as a SAHD. :roll:

Really ladies? FANNY PACKS? We can debate the merits of conceal and carry laws all day, but I really feel the case is closed on the fanny pack issue.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I went to a football game recently wearing, yes, a fanny pack. No, I didn't have a gun inside. Just my wallet and some sun screen. I didn't want to carry a purse.

So, my FJ fashionistas, what would you recommend instead?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I went to a football game recently wearing, yes, a fanny pack. No, I didn't have a gun inside. Just my wallet and some sun screen. I didn't want to carry a purse.

Ah but that is different, a crowded stadium (I'm guessing, I've never been to a football game), the fanny pack in your situation is the logical choice. Wandering around town, doing your shopping and wearing a fanny pack just so you can carry a gun is a little desperate.

So... am I going to be disowned for my fanny pack?

Granted, us geology and rock hunter types call them utility pouches, and they go on a nice belt. But it's a glorified fanny pack.

OK I trashed my break-a-way fanny back when I gave up the gun. I do have a hippy fanny pack that I use for dancing, its smoked elk, sinew sewn, with fossilized ivory buttons and some killer Native American beadwork on the front. Will I have to sell it at the FJ rummage sale?? :oops:

I would recommend a crossbody bag - something like this: http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply- ... A-13540352

It's a bit more stylish and hands-free!! (It will defraud the men, though, becuase the strap goes between your boobs. Oh no!!! :lol: )

I lived in some incredibly rough neighborhoods when I was much younger--I'm talking gangs, crack dealers on my doorstep, prostitutes in the apartment across the street, drive-by shootings, and armed robberies in broad daylight. And while I did own a handgun and knew how to use it, I kept that thing at home. When I tried carrying it on the street, it felt (for lack of a better description) like a magnet for all the bad mojo in my neighborhood. I felt more jumpy and paranoid carrying than I did unarmed.

I eventually moved into a better neighborhood and sold the gun. It was a relief to have it gone. And while my current neighborhood has some rough patches I try to avoid, and we do have the occasional rash of burglaries, I have no desire to own another one. I don't believe I need one. I have no objections to responsible gun ownership, but I would prefer not to have one around.

So I'm trying to figure out what these sheltered, coddled women are so terrified of that they believe they need to carry a weapon at all times. What, in their minds, is such a likely threat that it warrants carrying a gun?

I live very very close to the intersection of a secondary east west highway and the biggest north south one in the eastern part of the country. My city-born and raised self knows there are scary ass people using that highway, and thinks I should have a gun, since we are out here in the country in eyeshot of one of the highways. My significant other, who knows just how pissed I get at teenage boys who are miserable to my daughter, thinks otherwise LOL.

And I use a fanny pack when I go biking. Somone, quick, call the fashion police! :D

I actually want to take a concealed carry or gun safety course, just so I would know how to handle myself, but the idea of having a gun anywhere in the vicinity of my child is just ... :shock:

I agree. I live by myself in a rural area with one empty house next to me and possibly the one across the street and the one on the other side in the future. I'd like to know more just in case, but then I think of my niece or nephew accidentally finding it. (but then many of my friends as well as my mom, grew up with guns safely in the house. My mom is still afraid of guns, my grandpa must have really pounded gun safety into her head!)

OK I trashed my break-a-way fanny back when I gave up the gun. I do have a hippy fanny pack that I use for dancing, its smoked elk, sinew sewn, with fossilized ivory buttons and some killer Native American beadwork on the front. Will I have to sell it at the FJ rummage sale?? :oops:

Fanny packs have their uses, such as when you're spending a day in a park or zoo or setting where carrying a purse is really cumbersome. They're also great on long trail rides when you need something to pack your camera and toilet paper in.

Archived