IGNORED

Miss Raquel's horse is still alive!

formergothardite

I'll admit that I am not seeing where people are getting ideas about how the horse was laying down. She doesn't specify his position when he laid down.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She says they were laying down looking up at the sky ::sigh:: ::justlikeamovie:: I don't know enough about horses to know if they lay down and do that.

Her story is bullpucky. Horse is under weight, being taught dangerous behavior, and will probably end up in a kill pen some day. What Donks said.

I had a horse. Miss her terribly. She would often times follow me, or my children like a puppy. But this is because we had established that we were the alpha's in the herd. She used to push my husband around because he just didn't get how to behave around a horse.

My eldest son is very dyslexic. Because of this we used to ride in a halter, or hackmore. If we'd put a bit in her mouth, that horse woulda killed my son. Over about a period of a year, I watched as this horse patiently tried to figure out what my son was asking her to do. At first she got very frustrated with him, but after a while she realized that he wasn't being mean and worked it out. It was an amazing thing. She was (and I hope still is, had to sell her) a very intelligent and amazing animal. This same animal knew all the really bad curse words, and knew I would not hesitate to kick or smack her if she got outta line. I also used round pens on a regular basis when she acted up. No, I did not train her myself, professionals did that.

Horses need somebody who knows what they are doing to train them.

Her story is bullpucky. Horse is under weight, being taught dangerous behavior, and will probably end up in a kill pen some day. What Donks said.

+1

I love these threads about horses. Just for curiousity sake, where does a newbie that wants a horse learn how to care for them? I am NOT getting a horse but it makes me curious how someone with no horse experience learns what to do.

I love these threads about horses. Just for curiousity sake, where does a newbie that wants a horse learn how to care for them? I am NOT getting a horse but it makes me curious how someone with no horse experience learns what to do.

First read a lot of books, second try to volunteer or get a part-time job with a stable. There are skads of stables around here that provide therapy horses for kids. Volunteering for one of those would be a good way to learn from someone who knows while helping people.

You should begin by taking riding lessons at a good stable with a reputable instructor. Go to your local feed store and tack shop and ask them who is good. Haunt those establishments bulletin boards, that's how instructors get new clients.

Go to local horseshows, watch whose horses do well, whose students are doing well-AND everyones involved attitudes. Even if you don't plan to show, go with the best instructor you can find! Take lessons. Hang out at the barn, help with the chores. This may even garner you discounted lessons!

Sit in on others lessons if you can. Become a sponge-soak it all in.

Before you take the plunge, leasing a horse is a good way to 'get your feet wet'm often leased horses stay at their home barn, supervised by their Barn Manager. You will be allowed to ride unsupervised,and should still take lessons... but now you"l be paying the lease which covers board, tack use and feed. You will also be paying for the Farrier and Vet.

Get used to reaching for your wallet.

If, after all this, you still want to buy a horse, talk to your instructor. They may know of a good candidate for your skillset.this is turning into a novel, sorry. I'll wrap it up.

And do not skip the Pre-Purchase Exam!

The cheapest part of horse ownership is the purchase price. If everyone followed the lesson-lease then ownership plan there'd be a lot less neglected horses in theworld. People would realize what an enormous amount of work a horse takes, and that they are basically financial drains.

Posted using my BB, so I'm sure my grammar and punctuation are all fucked up. Apologies.

Sorry-gotta add: I've had horses 40 years (practically raised on a horse-both parents rode, Mother showed extensively) when I bought the horse that became my best showhorse, I took lessons weekly on her. No matter how long you've been riding you never know it all. My instructor also trains and shows-she was short listed for the Olympics-and took lesson weekly from another instructor!

People like The Bates sicken me-theyre doing it WRONG!

About Miss Raquel and her horse lying down and looking up at the sky together: A horse that is feeling very relaxed and safe will lie down to go to sleep. However, you do NOT therefore lie down with the horse. Horses are made to panic and run away at a moment's notice; that's how wild horses survive. While they are springing to their feet and fleeing the scary thing--biting fly, rustling plastic, whatever--they are not going to be thinking about where they are putting their large, hard feet that support their big, heavy bodies. And then you get to take a ride in an ambulance.

Or the horse may have been enjoying a good roll and been lying down catching its breath, at which point Miss Raquel decided that it was inviting her to lie down with it and look up at the sky. Same rule applies.

Or it is weak from underfeeding and worms and/or going lame and was trying to get comfortable. Same rule applies.

Or she just made it up.

ETA: What scares me most on Miss Raquel's behalf is that she is teaching it that it can push her around. Horses are not dogs. Hit a dog and it will fear you and not trust you because a dog that gets violent with its own packmates is trying to break down the safe, predictable structure of the pack and get on top.* Smack a horse to tell it to back off and it will treat you as if you were the boss horse, because that's how the boss mare runs the herd.

*The boss dog, for non-dog-owners, simply acts as if there is no question that it's boss dog. A confident attitude combined with immediate, brief, simple (remember, this is an animal) response to the dog getting out of line is how the boss dog runs things. The mom dog controls her puppies mainly by tone of voice. Horses are considerably more physical.

I just can't get my mind around someone actually feeling that it's safe to lie down near a horse. I love horses, they don't frighten me at all, but they are large animals that can be extremely skittish - especially that young and untrained. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to lie down around something that large and unpredictable with such hard hooves?

She's either making it up or she needs to be baby sat for her own safety.

Archived