IGNORED

Doug of the Antarctic

FuManchu

Yeah... "Lead their own expedition." Well, that proves to me 100% they haven't even come CLOSE to doing any research on Antarctica. You can't just "lead your own expedition".... you pay out the ass to take a tour, and you have to do EXACTLY what the tour guides tell you, or you're going home.

The very nature of the research stations demand a lot of education and abiding by the regulations. As much as Dougie gets off at the the thought of him striking a manly pose next to a big pole, the humility and obedience he would need to exhibit in the face of evil evolutionist geologists would be a much bigger hurdle for him than the -50 temps.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That occurred to me too - there's already a recent documentary on the polar regions, with a far higher budget than anything Dougie can get together. Why does he think anyone will be impressed?

I've been watching Frozen Planet, amazing stuff. Dougie is deluded if he thinks he can do better.

Somebody needs to explain the concept of shrinkage to him. I bet he back off of this idea real fast when he hears that!

Shrinkage is just God's way of telling us to hire more interns.

I worked in Antarctica for 3 years.

No, they won't be going to the damn South Pole. And if they DID get down there (for the record, the NSF -- National Science Foundation -- does offer grants for film-making), every scientist there would laugh them off the continent.

GTFO, fundies. Leave the science to the real scientists, you jackasses.

Yeah... "Lead their own expedition." Well, that proves to me 100% they haven't even come CLOSE to doing any research on Antarctica. You can't just "lead your own expedition".... you pay out the ass to take a tour, and you have to do EXACTLY what the tour guides tell you, or you're going home.

The very nature of the research stations demand a lot of education and abiding by the regulations. As much as Dougie gets off at the the thought of him striking a manly pose next to a big pole, the humility and obedience he would need to exhibit in the face of evil evolutionist geologists would be a much bigger hurdle for him than the -50 temps.

This. OMG.

What a fucking idiot. So we're estimating costs of $20-30K per person just to get on a boat that goes near Antarctica. That doesn't include any of the costs of landing on Antarctica, any of the supplies they would need, their housing, etc. Does not include the costs of their "research" to prove Creationism, nor the budget for their great blockbuster film. Seriously, how old is this guy? How much money does he think he has?? Knowing fundie budgets, how many people does he think are going to come on his trip? What a fucking egotistical moron.

I've actually researched the idea of going to Antarctica a bit (I'm determined to go there eventually. I want to visit every continent. I should have Australia down soon, and then it will just be Antarctica), and you can get cruises that let you go on land for as "little" as $5000 (for one person, plus the cost of getting there). You want to get one of the smaller cruise ships with less than 100 people since environmental regulations limit how many people can be on land at one time. I have heard of tourists visiting the South Pole, (This girl did it: http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/trav ... 12628.html ) and it looks like you can do your own expedition.

But yeah, his idea is completely absurd. It would be ridiculously expensive and with his lack of experience there's just no way he could do his own expedition. That could literally kill him.

I really hope he doesn't actually go, get himself in trouble and require a multi-million-dollar rescue expedition. Does anybody regulate trips to the Antarctic? I mean, do you need to get permission to go there?

I've actually researched the idea of going to Antarctica a bit (I'm determined to go there eventually. I want to visit every continent. I should have Australia down soon, and then it will just be Antarctica), and you can get cruises that let you go on land for as "little" as $5000 (for one person, plus the cost of getting there). You want to get one of the smaller cruise ships with less than 100 people since environmental regulations limit how many people can be on land at one time. I have heard of tourists visiting the South Pole, (This girl did it: http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/trav ... 12628.html ) and it looks like you can do your own expedition.

But yeah, his idea is completely absurd. It would be ridiculously expensive and with his lack of experience there's just no way he could do his own expedition. That could literally kill him.

Traveling there is interesting because you can't just go to Expedia and book a flight. You have to go through one of the small cruise lines and factor in the cost of travel to South America, which is going to be about 1200-1500. You book that independently and then you do the cruise. I was not aware that some of the cruises actually take you to land. The one I looked at was just a lil' fly-by and you just ride around for a few days. It sounds like the Toolbelt Patriarch wants to arrange some private expedition that will enable all of them to spend a few weeks on land, kiddos and wifeys included... while he makes his d-bag documentary. I can just see something happening and the government having to rescue them.

I will give Doug a little credit. *If* he has enough followers it could happen. I mean, they are building that Noah's Ark in Kentucky aren't they? Regardless of price, Doug looks at it like this is God's work sooooo if he can't cough up the dough, that just means it wasn't in His plan.

I really hope he doesn't actually go, get himself in trouble and require a multi-million-dollar rescue expedition. Does anybody regulate trips to the Antarctic? I mean, do you need to get permission to go there?

From the United States Antarctic Program website, http://www.usap.gov/usapgov/jobsAndOppo ... ex.cfm?m=1

The USAP does not approve the following activities for participation in the program because they are not considered a contribution to the United States' mission for Antarctica:

Private expeditions by mountain climbers or adventurers

Visits to promote commercial products

Photography (except as in the Artists and Writers ProgramExternal Non-U.S. government site , or media visitsExternal Non-U.S. government site )

"Space-available" passage on support aircraft flights

Sightseeing or other superficial visits

Although the government does not provide support to private expeditions, citizens are not discouraged from organizing and taking part in such expeditions if they are self-sufficient and meet environmental standards.

Maybe he'll get stuck there! This could be a good thing! Either that or he'll figure out that he needs special cameras and film to withstand the temperature and scrub it due to cost.

But really, cant be just look for god in the inner city and actually help some people? If he dressed up no one would care!

Some of the trips reserve a number of spots for the press every summer. If he can swing a press permit for the Pearl Harbour memorial service, I don't doubt the guy can talk himself into a spot on a research vessel. A cruise ship would be more his style though.

I bet he's going to be 'researching' the fallacy of global warming and the great truths of creationism. I imagine there'll be a lot of support from the scientific community.

How's he going to bill this one? A frigid and snotty romp? Lots of fodder for the LOL Doug thread anyway.

It's super cold: global warming is a hoax.

Penguins still look like penguins: evolution is a lie.

There, biology done VF style. They don't even have to go, they can make some Jack London themed movie poster and throw up a green screen. I'll even let them use all my research for free.

Oh for the love of pete....

I'm starting to think that VF is just a front so he can make a living leading tours. His wife must have whiplash from all the projects going on. Good grief.

THIS.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

My best friend's husband just sent her a group photo of his companions at the South Pole. It's not exactly a tourist spot. He had spent 2 summers at Mc Murdo and this year got the Pole. I sincerely doubt that Dougie, no matter how much he prays can lease a C-130 cargo plane to drop he and his homies on the ice. It's a pipe dream I think......

I suspect he really will just touch foot to ice on Antarctica. We are trying to make it to all 7 by the time Thomas graduates high school...so I have poked around on how to hit Antarctica.

Yep the cruises take you to land. Most of the people have hit all 6 continents and you typically do a picture with the people who have been on all 7 with their arrival on land in Antarctica. But you don't stay there. Food on ground, some limited excursions and back on the ship.

My best friend's husband just sent her a group photo of his companions at the South Pole. It's not exactly a tourist spot. He had spent 2 summers at Mc Murdo and this year got the Pole. I sincerely doubt that Dougie, no matter how much he prays can lease a C-130 cargo plane to drop he and his homies on the ice. It's a pipe dream I think......

he got to the pole after two summers? he got lucky! can take you years before you get a pole trip

Doug? Antarctica? Even for him, this is pretty silly.

Besides the cruise ship trips (which take you to Antarctica, NOT all the way to the pole), there are indeed some expedition outfitters who will put together an expedition all the way to the pole. According to National Geographic News, it costs between $45k and $60k per person.

Why is it so expensive? Well, the Admundsen-Scott South Pole Station (the southernmost inhabited place on the planet) is research only, with some very limited official visits from journalists, etc. in the summer. But the National Science Foundation (the govt agency that runs the place) is not about to give Dougie a research grant to visit, and I can't imagine that they'd give him press credentials or cooperate with a Vision Forum film. See, the problem is that when you're a young earth creationist it's pretty much impossible to convince actual scientists that you are going to improve public understanding of science.

Doug? Antarctica? Even for him, this is pretty silly.

Besides the cruise ship trips (which take you to Antarctica, NOT all the way to the pole), there are indeed some expedition outfitters who will put together an expedition all the way to the pole. According to National Geographic News, it costs between $45k and $60k per person.

Why is it so expensive? Well, the Admundsen-Scott South Pole Station (the southernmost inhabited place on the planet) is research only, with some very limited official visits from journalists, etc. in the summer. But the National Science Foundation (the govt agency that runs the place) is not about to give Dougie a research grant to visit, and I can't imagine that they'd give him press credentials or cooperate with a Vision Forum film. See, the problem is that when you're a young earth creationist it's pretty much impossible to convince actual scientists that you are going to improve public understanding of science.

Not to mention that there is NO FUCKING WAY they would take children!

but we continue to believe that this generation and the next, must remain inspired, hopeful and passionate in their desire to represent the Lord all around the world through acts of dominion, discipleship, investigation and discovery.

Archived