IGNORED

Doug of the Antarctic

FuManchu

I have nothing against Father and Son events per se, but what if one of the girls in a VF family secretely wants to become a meteorologist one day and would jump at the chance to go to Antartica? "Sorry Missy, you can't go 'cuz you're a girl and you must yearn to be a homemaker instead, but yr little brother Timmy will get to go, even if he's dummer than a fly and has 0 interest in where we're goin'. Tough it up, a frown is not pretty on yr countenance."

Doug bugs me. I was so pissed at him the other day when he tweeted from Pearl Harbor that he was so upset to see 90 yrs old veterans "blaspheming". Sailors swearing? No way! :o

Don't read his more recent blog posts where he criticizes any part of the Pearl Harbor ceremonies that wasn't Christian and uses it as an excuse to get in a dig at President Obama. That pissed me off all over again.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I don't think this is going to happen. My husband and I looked into one of those Antarctic cruises awhile back and it was going to cost around 20k for two of us to go, and I don't even think you make landfall, I think you just stay on a boat and get to look at the penguins. Okay, so we also factored in a few days partying in South America... but for a whole fundie family and their quiverfull of kids to go to Antarctica is just... ridiculous. Can you see the Bradricks all bundled up in the cold... or better yet Joe Morecraft in his pop-up chair on the ice with his "Read Rushdoony" bag?

Yeah. I don't think this is going to happen. My husband and I looked into one of those Antarctic cruises awhile back and it was going to cost around 20k for two of us to go, and I don't even think you make landfall, I think you just stay on a boat and get to look at the penguins. Okay, so we also factored in a few days partying in South America... but for a whole fundie family and their quiverfull of kids to go to Antarctica is just... ridiculous. Can you see the Bradricks all bundled up in the cold... or better yet Joe Morecraft in his pop-up chair on the ice with his "Read Rushdoony" bag?

Yeah, there's no chance that any fundies are going to cough up $10K+ per person. Doug is an idiot.

As for the South Pole supporting Creationism in any way, I did a huge research project on cold adaptations in arctic fish and can send him my results if he wants them, and a smaller project for organic chemistry on cold-adapted bacteria. It is definitely indicative of evolution. It's one of the weird areas that I know a lot about, we all have those.

The fishie project is a fun one, btw, and it can be scaled down for a child's science fair project if needed. Almost guaranteed to win!

eta: my kids helped me, and the last slide on my Powerpoint presentation was a photo of them in lab coats with a thank you to the research support staff.

That will be an incredibly expensive trip.

I'm pretty jealous if they do go, though, I really want to visit Antarctica. If I start my own religious group can I get people to pay for my vacations?

If you have certain job skills you could go to Antartic. My niece is a physicist who was recruited, I was really surprised she turned it down because it's one of the few places she hasn't been to. A friend's brother just returned from a 6 month stint as a chef. One of the benefits of going is you can get a tourist visa for up to 6 months (or maybe it's 3) to visit Australia when your tour is up.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Community ... rctica.htm

From Dougie's recent blog post on his latest historical obsession, the centenary of the race to the South Pole:

Literally no part of the Earth is safe from this man's obsession with Creationist manliness. Unbelievable. One of these days he's going to lead the entire Vision Forum crowd into the Congo and they're not going to come out again. Years later, explorers will hear wild stories of a lost tribe, deep within the jungle, who worship an idol they call "Duggee" and shun contact with the outside world.

I hope he gets frost bite in his balls.

DOUG PHILLIPS IS A TOOL.

My best friend is working on an Antarctic cruise ship at the moment. I believe they do get to get off the boat at Terra Nova, Scott Base and possibly a few other places. But she said people on the boat paid between 20 and 40 thousand for the trip

I suppose he doesn't realize that eco-tours with actual scientists guiding them go there all the time? No, Dougie will be the first to enter the southern ocean since Shackleton.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Remember that air-conditioned trip down the Amazon he tried to pass off as a voyage of intrepid wilderness types? He'll just go on the National Geographic Explorer and not mention that it's a cruise ship.

He doesn't seem to realize that these conveniently anonymous native guides oddly shiny tramp steamers tour companies all have websites.

I hope he meets David Attenborough.

That occurred to me too - there's already a recent documentary on the polar regions, with a far higher budget than anything Dougie can get together. Why does he think anyone will be impressed?

I hope he gets barfed on by a gannet chick early in the trip. I hope he has to finish his "Voyage of Discovery" with his latest dress-up outfit indelibly vomit-stained in a place that the camera cannot miss.

Is he hinting around for the money to go on the Lindblad cruise to the coast, or does he seriously think that any old Joe can just hire a couple of ski-doos and go off to the Pole?

Doug "Dress-Up" Phillips is a bloviating, play-acting, self-absorbed Miniver Cheevy. And a tool.

About the existing documentary: Well, the people who made it aren't Real True Christians, so it isn't a real documentary. Whereas if Phillips pretends that he's a documentarian, he must be the best one EVAR because he's, you know, him.

It strikes me that the dead head of Scientology was apt to do this kind of thing to: decide that there had to be a documentary, or whatever, and declare himself to be the greatest director OF ALL TIME, and then run the whole thing into the ground and produce a feeble blat of a film. He also liked to dress up--in his case, as a decorated veteran. Phillips might like to look into his later life as a cautionary tale.

Some of the trips reserve a number of spots for the press every summer. If he can swing a press permit for the Pearl Harbour memorial service, I don't doubt the guy can talk himself into a spot on a research vessel. A cruise ship would be more his style though.

I bet he's going to be 'researching' the fallacy of global warming and the great truths of creationism. I imagine there'll be a lot of support from the scientific community.

How's he going to bill this one? A frigid and snotty romp? Lots of fodder for the LOL Doug thread anyway.

If they do take whole families and the moms and daughters get to go, how will they wear their frumpers over (under?) all the other gear that must be worn in that climate. Would the women be forced to wear "that which pertains to a man" in order to go. Actually Duggee would probably insist that the women would have to freeze to death before donning the necessary clothing and foregoing their stupid ankle length skirts.

On another subject, but along that same vein, did anyone see that picture of Beall surfing in her ankle length swimming dress ( I kid you not)

If they want to go to the South Pole, it's about 850 miles south of McMurdo. They have to have specific clothing to wear there. It's not optional.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I hope he gets frost bite in his balls.

DOUG PHILLIPS IS A TOOL.

I swear, I was just getting ready to make a frostbitten balls comment! You have to wonder though, why Dougie would have his balls out in sub-zero temps.

Actually, you don't have to wonder. :romance-threesome: (I couldn't find a cold, shivering smilie, so I used this one to show how Dougie and the interns plan to keep warm)

Dougie likely will fly the brood the south america and rent a cruise ship. Then they'll fuck as much as possible on board and scream "my baybee was created at the south pole!"

This is the dumbest idea yet. If super tool really wanted to look at "proof" of creationism he'd do pound rocks in the grand canyon or maybe a crater site.

I have friends of friends who were on this ship:

MV%20Explorer%202%20on%20side%20hull%20exposed.jpg

Yeah.

I know a bunch of people who've been down there, and it's no joke.

Holy cow! How did that happen? That picture is seriously my worst nightmare--I'm terrified of drowning.

ETA: Apparently this was all over the news. How the hell did I miss/forget about this? Huh. Dougie's still a tool.

On another subject, but along that same vein, did anyone see that picture of Beall surfing in her ankle length swimming dress ( I kid you not)

:shock: Nooooo! Link, please!!!! :) Otherwise, i shall have to presume you actually do kid! :liar:

No offense meant by the liar emoticon -- just joshing -- but please, I want the link, I do!!!! :drool:

This is a terrible, terrible idea. It's actually a terrible idea if he is just envisioning an eco-cruise to Antarctica, but if he is planning an actual run to the Pole, oh my....terrible terrible terrible.

Methings Dougie was a little spoiled by his catered, air-conditioned cruise down the Amazon, and now he thinks he can take on all the Earth can throw at him.

I have friends of friends who were on this ship:

MV%20Explorer%202%20on%20side%20hull%20exposed.jpg

Yeah.

I know a bunch of people who've been down there, and it's no joke.

Sadly, the only thing Doug fantasises about more than trips to exotic places (and possibly young men in kilts) is the idea of being on a sinking ship and able to run around shouting "Women and children first!" at people. In fact, if he does let any women come on this trip it may be solely so he can dream about getting them into lifeboats while punching other men in the face.

"Sadly, the only thing Doug fantasises about more than trips to exotic places (and possibly young men in kilts) is the idea of being on a sinking ship and able to run around shouting "Women and children first!" at people. In fact, if he does let any women come on this trip it may be solely so he can dream about getting them into lifeboats while punching other men in the face."

If Doug Phillips were EVER in this situation the first person in the lifeboat would be . . . .Doug Phillips!

:shock: Nooooo! Link, please!!!! :) Otherwise, i shall have to presume you actually do kid! :liar:

No offense meant by the liar emoticon -- just joshing -- but please, I want the link, I do!!!! :drool:

I promise I'm not making this up, however I searched last night and I could not find the picture. I think it was taken on one of their vacations, probably the Hawaii vacation. I found his post about the Hawaii vacation, but the picture was gone. I'll keep looking and if I find it I will post a link. Doug even makes one of his typical smug comments about how his wonderful wife can surf in a long dress.

Archived