IGNORED

Doug of the Antarctic

FuManchu

From Dougie's recent blog post on his latest historical obsession, the centenary of the race to the South Pole:

In 2013, Vision Forum Ministries hopes to lead our own expedition to the South Pole for Christian Fathers and Sons (and maybe whole families) with a distinctively creationist mission that will involve research, adventure and a filmmaking opportunity. Not only are we fascinated by this great frontier which we believe opens a world of opportunities to defend the biblical account of creation, but we continue to believe that this generation and the next, must remain inspired, hopeful and passionate in their desire to represent the Lord all around the world through acts of dominion, discipleship, investigation and discovery.

Literally no part of the Earth is safe from this man's obsession with Creationist manliness. Unbelievable. One of these days he's going to lead the entire Vision Forum crowd into the Congo and they're not going to come out again. Years later, explorers will hear wild stories of a lost tribe, deep within the jungle, who worship an idol they call "Duggee" and shun contact with the outside world.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Dougie's recent blog post on his latest historical obsession, the centenary of the race to the South Pole:

Literally no part of the Earth is safe from this man's obsession with Creationist manliness. Unbelievable. One of these days he's going to lead the entire Vision Forum crowd into the Congo and they're not going to come out again. Years later, explorers will hear wild stories of a lost tribe, deep within the jungle, who worship an idol they call "Duggee" and shun contact with the outside world.

I hope he finds the Lost World and the dinosaurs eat him

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Priceless! Thank you for making me smile.

That is funny. I'm sitting here trying to top that one. The Antarctic - what will he think of next?

What makes a ministry think that they have more

a) expertise

b) resources

c) technology

at their disposal than teams of professional explorers and scientists who have ventured into one of the Earth's most inhospitable climates?

To further his Creationist agenda, no less. I am usually not the snarky type, but Creationism makes my head explode.

I will pray for the penguins. They did nothing to deserve this.

But they did! They're clearly dressed in evil Catlick nuns' habits...

That will be an incredibly expensive trip.

I'm pretty jealous if they do go, though, I really want to visit Antarctica. If I start my own religious group can I get people to pay for my vacations?

a) expertise

b) resources

c) technology

at their disposal than teams of professional explorers and scientists who have ventured into one of the Earth's most inhospitable climates?

To further his Creationist agenda, no less. I am usually not the snarky type, but Creationism makes my head explode.

I suppose he doesn't realize that eco-tours with actual scientists guiding them go there all the time? No, Dougie will be the first to enter the southern ocean since Shackleton.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

a) expertise

b) resources

c) technology

Well, there's the bright side - maybe he won't come back.

I will pray for the penguins. They did nothing to deserve this.

I think he's concerned by the rising tide of penguin homosexuality. Or possibly intrigued by it.

a) expertise

b) resources

c) technology

This. I'd be very surprised if they actually make it to Antarctica, let alone do "research" and make a movie. I bet that once Doug starts thinking it through, and realizes how much it will cost to get a boat to take him there (ain't no airports in Antarctica)--let alone obtain the supplies and hire expedition guides for such a trip--he'll lose his little ego-boner.

My best friend's husband just sent her a group photo of his companions at the South Pole. It's not exactly a tourist spot. He had spent 2 summers at Mc Murdo and this year got the Pole. I sincerely doubt that Dougie, no matter how much he prays can lease a C-130 cargo plane to drop he and his homies on the ice. It's a pipe dream I think......

Oh for the love of pete....

I'm starting to think that VF is just a front so he can make a living leading tours. His wife must have whiplash from all the projects going on. Good grief.

Oh for the love of pete....

I'm starting to think that VF is just a front so he can make a living leading tours. His wife must have whiplash from all the projects going on. Good grief.

I think he has a vision of himself finding proof for Creationism while on this tour.

Well, there's the bright side - maybe he won't come back.

That's what I was thinking ... that and scenes from that movie, "Alive"...

You know... I am just thinking.

Alecto put up a fundraiser only a few hours ago and we as FJ have already raised over $300 for a charity. Most of us are just ordinary people, not overly wealthy and sometimes even on lower incomes.

Compare that to the expenses that VF engages in to fund their project. How many disadvantaged people could be helped by these 'Christians' if they would just prioritize their resources differently?

Like I said, I don't snark. But the hypocrisy is glaring.

I have nothing against Father and Son events per se, but what if one of the girls in a VF family secretely wants to become a meteorologist one day and would jump at the chance to go to Antartica? "Sorry Missy, you can't go 'cuz you're a girl and you must yearn to be a homemaker instead, but yr little brother Timmy will get to go, even if he's dummer than a fly and has 0 interest in where we're goin'. Tough it up, a frown is not pretty on yr countenance."

Doug bugs me. I was so pissed at him the other day when he tweeted from Pearl Harbor that he was so upset to see 90 yrs old veterans "blaspheming". Sailors swearing? No way! :o

If they do take whole families and the moms and daughters get to go, how will they wear their frumpers over (under?) all the other gear that must be worn in that climate. Would the women be forced to wear "that which pertains to a man" in order to go. Actually Duggee would probably insist that the women would have to freeze to death before donning the necessary clothing and foregoing their stupid ankle length skirts.

On another subject, but along that same vein, did anyone see that picture of Beall surfing in her ankle length swimming dress ( I kid you not)

And the excuses for his pleasure-trips are always so wafer-thin. Find evidence of Creation? The only evidence a trip to the South Pole could provide for Creation would be if they discovered a remote glacier with mile-long letters carved in the ice reading "This planet © God, 6000 BC. 'Earth' and 'World' are registered trademarks and may not be used without permission. All rights reserved."

I don't understand how his supporters/followers buy into this. It clearly makes no financial sense (apart from the profits the leadership makes off these trips).

I don't know that this is even possible for them!

I had a biology teacher who went to Antarctica twice. The first time was in an official capacity as a scientist; she had to fill out paperwork and submit details on the type of research she was doing. The second time, she just wanted to go but none of her projects required time in Antarctica. She managed to get a job as a carpenter on the base. Same story: a lot of paperwork and such was necessary. You have to have a reason and a purpose for being there.

Even with all the permission, she could not leave the base except on approved excursions with trained people. But she met her husband there on New Year's Eve, which is the coolest "how we met" story evah imo.

So, how long before Dougie declares he wants to go to the moon? And how will he manage to do so while still downplaying the science it would take to get him there?

I wish that I had the DVDs of The Last Place on Earth about Amundsen's and Scott's race to the South Pole. It would be great viewing today. I've been interested in polar exploration for a long time (got in trouble for reading Alone by Admiral Byrd during world geo class in 9th grade) and would love to go Antarctica. But not with Dougie.

Any 90 year old vet of Pearl Harbor is entitled to swear if he or she wants to. Dougie can go fuck himself if he's offended.

Archived