IGNORED

Josh Duggar's development frightens me

holierthanyou

While Josie certainly has a questionable future of meeting developmental goals ahead of her, it is Josh's development that I find most concerning. The man-child seems to see himself as the center of the universe, a patriarchal King who (in his own mind) has taken over his father's kingdom.

He is rude, smug, lacks empathy, and he is dumb to boot.

Should we not have some developmental psychologists in to study Josh???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Freudian psychoanalysis that much ( I prefer behavioural psychology) but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Josh was lying on that hypothetical couch babbling away. It'd sure be entertaining; unfinished Oedipus complex, perhaps??

Yabbut... such a psychologist would undoubtedly have been sent by Satan, so... how would it help? I can see something good happening if, say, JB were to suddenly keel over and Anna woke up to just how much of a tool off the old block Smuggar is so that presto! Smuggar is faced with the big, bad real world and has to grow up fast or face disaster. But I don't think any psychologist's intervention is going to be of any use.

While Josie certainly has a questionable future of meeting developmental goals ahead of her, it is Josh's development that I find most concerning. The man-child seems to see himself as the center of the universe, a patriarchal King who (in his own mind) has taken over his father's kingdom.

Oh I would love to spend some time studying Smuggar.

I expect that I would find his psyche quite fascinating.

HIs dumbness is, for me, his most remarkable quality. How'd you like to be married to a man that shallow? I don't know how Anna can stand it. My one non-negotiable quality for a mate was that he had to be smarter than I am. :ugeek:

No I refuse, but thanks for asking.

I don't like Freudian psychoanalysis that much ( I prefer behavioural psychology) but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Josh was lying on that hypothetical couch babbling away. It'd sure be entertaining; unfinished Oedipus complex, perhaps??

What on earth has Freudian psychoanalysis to do with developmental psychology????

What on earth has Freudian psychoanalysis to do with developmental psychology????

Nothing, I'd just like to listen in in the unlikely event that Josh would have a psychoanalysis session.

It has nothing to do with dev. psych, sorry for offending you. :think:

Josh doesn't need to be studied; I'm sure there are many more like him in the Gothard world.

All the therapy in the universe won't give him the backbone he needs to get a real job, move out of Grandma's house and live a life financially independent of Jim Bob.

I think Mr. Joshie is a junior Narcissist in training as are most ATI/Gothard men due to the myths surrounding the position of patriarch. Josh is

[list=]Closed-minded

Stubborn

Considers himself an "expert" on sales, marrage and parenthood while lacking experience

Vocally separates people into us. vs.them, right vs. wrong

Thinks he is "special" or deserving of special treatment, wthout any backing skills or talent e.g. over-developed sense of entitlement

Feels powerful NOT because of his achievements or talents but because he is a male Duggar, eldest son and has Anna and his children under his dominion

Sees no reason to change, develop new skills, educate himself or grow in any way other than his waistline

Not responsible for his errors, e.g. temptations which are somehow the burden of his sisters and then wife

Not responsible for following through on temporary restrictions e.g. dental visit

Sees his wiofe and children as extensions of himself, and NOT as real separate individuals (just like his dad and no pickle preferences do not count!)

Most males in that "cult" are raised with similar ideas to which their sisters and wives are blamed and always on a lower level than the almighty patriarchs in training wheels

Balance those traits against the NPD charactaristics -n what do you think?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/

HIs dumbness is, for me, his most remarkable quality. How'd you like to be married to a man that shallow? I don't know how Anna can stand it.

Either she's just as dumb and shallow as he is, or she's too busy taking care of both the little babies--as well as Big Baby himself--to really think about it too deeply.

But who knows? Maybe she really can't stand it, and in lieu of a scandalous divorce she's trying to become a widow via Chickenetti. Given how bloated and unhealthy Josh looks these days, I'd say it's working.

My one non-negotiable quality for a mate was that he had to be smarter than I am. :ugeek:
For me, he's got to be smart. But I'm okay with a guy not being quite as smart as me as long as he has certain personality traits--creativity, integrity, emotional depth, self-awareness, curiosity, willingness to learn, open-mindedness, a good sense of humor (including about himself), and a sense of adventure.

Guys like Josh? Not even on my radar, and never have been.

From what I remember in Psychology Class, and watching the way Josh acts, he seems to possess a Narcissistic Personality Disorder, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Maybe he could have a Martyr's Complex?

How'd you like to be married to a man that shallow? I don't know how Anna can stand it.
Anna's not exactly swimming in the deep end of the smarts pool herself ("I can drive a Hummer because I use cloth diapers.")

Her chief qualities appear to be that she is/was organized enough to handle the paperwork of the dealership when Smuggar got in over his head and had everything in a complete muddle. Aside from that, I don't see any deep thoughts or critical thinking from either of them.

HIs dumbness is, for me, his most remarkable quality. How'd you like to be married to a man that shallow? I don't know how Anna can stand it. My one non-negotiable quality for a mate was that he had to be smarter than I am. :ugeek:

Before I really DO analyze Mr. McSmuggar, I just have to add that I have a growing suspicion that Anna has a private jet somewhere, just waiting to land on the roof and fly Mike, Mack and her OUT. Either that or another Dorothy Gale.

Anna: Ding Dong, the Duggar is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here I go. Benefits of living with a REAL brain doctor for four years:

First, Josh's looks alone have worsened ever since he married Anna. He looks to be around his late thirties on this Chickenetti gunk, not early twenties.... DON'T TRY THE CHICKEN....etti.

Anyway, his brain is in the same line of thinking as that as we've seen from Daddy Jim Bob "In desperate need of a vasectomy" Duggar. He is only reacting to what he has been taught all his life. BUT he doesn't exactly seem to be the sharpest gumball in the knife drawer. Even if he was "human" so to speak, he would still be relatively Moose Mason. That's just MY opinion.

It was made very evident in the whole wedding scene that he was meant to be Anna's "Keeper" and that is exactly what he thinks he is. His mind has been shaped so fundielike, that the concrete has hardened over his mind, and he is doomed a forever fundie.

OMG, LOL at this entire thread. Yes, Joshie's "development"--or lack thereof--frightens me, too--even more than Josie's.

When they took the trip to Stonehenge, Josh got a Talking Head to say something meaningful about Stonehenge. What did he say? "I actually once had a computer background that was Stonehenge. And...it was actually one of my favorite backgrounds that I've ever had." Wow. Compelling. That's the most interesting thing you could possibly think of to say about Stonehenge, Josh?

I always laugh/throw up in my mouth a little when I read about Josh's planned career as a lawyer. Yeah, like that's ever, ever going to happen. I know plenty of smart people who had trouble passing the bar exam. If they couldn't do it, Josh's chances are roughly nil.

I thought Anna was sweet and genuine before the wedding, but now she is turning into Josh. Like him, she's becoming fat, dumb, smug, self-satisfied, and babyish-looking. I guess it's all part and parcel of being under your husband's "umbrella of authority"...you have to become just as obnoxious as him. I also cannot stand the Hummer; she must really think she is all that now that she drives one of those.

I do have some respect for the Kellers, and especially Anna’s father. As weird and cult-y as they are, I think they are authentically committed to what they believe. I like that Mr. Keller does the prison ministry; the Duggars never seem to do any real, consistent, not-for-the-cameras volunteering like that.

It was a sad day when the authority over Anna was "transferred" to one of the biggest imbeciles on the planet--hardly a man, and hardly deserving of authority over anyone--Man-Child Smuggar himself.

It was a sad day when the authority over Anna was "transferred" to one of the biggest imbeciles on the planet--hardly a man, and hardly deserving of authority over anyone--Man-Child Smuggar himself.

:shock: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But seriously, I couldn't agree more. I hate how Mr Dug-head Jr. acts like he owns Anna and his kids, like they are his own special 'property'.

Am i the only one that thinks Anna secretly goes out partying after Josh is high enough on the chickenetti? Again with the chickengunkie, it's EVIL I tell you.

Nothing, I'd just like to listen in in the unlikely event that Josh would have a psychoanalysis session.

It has nothing to do with dev. psych, sorry for offending you. :think:

I am not offended at all, I didn't understand the connection of Freudian psychoanalysis and your obvious preference for behavioural psychology instead of developmental psychology.

I just wondered how much you know about all this and I am afraid not that much, if you don't mind me saying that.

Are there people who don't mind intentional rudeness?

I am not offended at all, I didn't understand the connection of Freudian psychoanalysis and your obvious preference for behavioural psychology instead of developmental psychology.

I just wondered how much you know about all this and I am afraid not that much, if you don't mind me saying that.

I just wondered how much you know about all this and I am afraid not that much, if you don't mind me saying that.[/quot

Where did I say I prefered one over the other?

I just wondered how much you know about all this and I am afraid not that much, if you don't mind me saying that.[/quot

Where did I say I prefered one over the other?

Well somebody wanted to send him to a developmental psychogolist and you responded:

Archived