IGNORED

Why fundies insist on arm modesty

fundifugee

I don't know which is worse; the fact that the young lady looks naked, or the fact that it appears her stomach is flabby and hanging down?

THIS is fat shaming. I'm pretty sure the fact that she looks like she turned up to an event without clothing is a lot worse than not fitting some arbitrary beauty standard. Flabby stomaches and arms are fine and happen and we have people of every size and shape here and in the world and they are all fine and beautiful. The fact that you can't tell what's worse is really indicative of your priorities and views.

I just thought the optical illusion was interesting - nothing to do with fat-shaming.

This. Honestly, it irked me a little that the the original caption said "you're friend's fat arm" but I honestly think the optical illusion is interesting and that the phrase would still make sense without the word fat. So, while I may not agree with the use of the word fat, I don't think the humor is derived from the fat shaming, but from the optical illusion that to be perfectly honest, probably would have worked with any number sizes of arms as long as the camera angle was a certain way.

I call my kids kidlet. I cant' remember who I got it from in my family. Both maternal grandparents are from west TX and my dad's family is from the midwest, I think.

I also call them chipmunk, so.... :)

My gpa told me that another name for Brazil nuts is nigger toes. :/

THIS is fat shaming. I'm pretty sure the fact that she looks like she turned up to an event without clothing is a lot worse than not fitting some arbitrary beauty standard. Flabby stomaches and arms are fine and happen and we have people of every size and shape here and in the world and they are all fine and beautiful. The fact that you can't tell what's worse is really indicative of your priorities and views.

It would be fat shaming had I been serious instead of making a joke. It was a poorly worded attempt at a joke. Surely being naked in public is far worse than an awkward, bent over, less than attractive, pose. And, that was the joke.

But, I see that I have offended you, and perhaps others. For this I am sorry.

I believe its derived from a very nasty word that is commonly used down (here) south when referring to children of a particular ethnicity. Somehow "niglet" broke off to "kidlet" when the word snuck out in polite conversation.

I didn't know that. :? My grands called all of us kidlets from the chicklets they used to give us. "LPL, here is a chicklet for my kidlet."

I've been using kidlets, kiddos, rug decor, monsters and so forth to describ my kids for over 20 years. Thanks to my parents and grands calling me the same thing.

LPL, I doubt that the vast majority of people who occasionally use the word "kidlet" (I prefer "shriekling") have ever heard of any kind of nefarious origins of the term. I think it's a big stretch to consider it offensive and I don't.

The -let suffix means small and juvenile, as seen in words like Chiclet and piglet. I did not realize kidlet could be taken another way. I think, in the North at least, it is being used without any link to the racist term, although the South may be another story.

I've never heard kidlet before, but I think it's kind of cute. Although I think I'm in love with the term shriekling.

I always feel like I get an education here at FJ - even if it's a relatively useless one :lol:

I didn't know that. :? My grands called all of us kidlets from the chicklets they used to give us. "LPL, here is a chicklet for my kidlet."

I've been using kidlets, kiddos, rug decor, monsters and so forth to describ my kids for over 20 years. Thanks to my parents and grands calling me the same thing.

I've called my kids "kiddos", "chitlins", "rug decor", "crumb snatchers", etc. too. It's perhaps cultural. What part of the country did you grow up in?

My current favorite is "kidideos". Although, "monkey butts" is a close second.

I.E. "Git yer shoes on monkey butts! We're leavin' soon!"

I've called my kids "kiddos", "chitlins", "rug decor", "crumb snatchers", etc. too. It's perhaps cultural. What part of the country did you grow up in?

My current favorite is "kidideos". Although, "monkey butts" is a close second.

I.E. "Git yer shoes on monkey butts! We're leavin' soon!"

Native Coloradoian. My father's side is from pioneers who kept moving out more and more out west every 25 years or so and my mother's side is from the Appalachian Mountains of Tenn and KY. So I decend from educated redneck, hillbillies with money. :shock: But I can honestly say that those people were not raciests from the letters and diaries they left behind.

LPL, I doubt that the vast majority of people who occasionally use the word "kidlet" (I prefer "shriekling") have ever heard of any kind of nefarious origins of the term. I think it's a big stretch to consider it offensive and I don't.

I dont consider kidlet to be offensive at all! Its the other word I dont like! All good!

ps - lets not have the "crotchfruit" convo again, k?

Archived