IGNORED

What TW is giving T1 for Christmas.

masagoroll

From her formspring:

What are you getting T1 for Christmas?

The new warm winter shoes I just paid $75 for? We bought him several toys after he started speech therapy too. I tend to get excited and give him his gifts early because I figure it makes no difference to him if we wait (like when we went to Poland and bought a bunch of wooden stuff intending to give it to him for Christmas but I wanted to let him see the top and the train right now!). I'm glad I did that too, the train is one of his favorite toys.

We don't have any formal gifts planned from us. He's the first grandchild for my parents, and the only baby that will be around for the holidays, so I have no doubt my family will fill our suitcases with gifts for him.

Rude, or not?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up traveling during the holidays and my parents would often give us Christmas stuff early because we got so much stuff at the grandparents and I don't see it as bad.

I'm actually with her on this one. Young children get loads of gifts at Christmas and it can be overwhelming, and parents buy gifts for their children all the time and I prefer to give them over a period of time than all one day when half of them don't even get noticed. This is the first year I am getting a proper gift for my 3.5 year old, and my 6 month old is having some of her brother's old toys in her stocking. Why add to landfill if you don't need to?

I agree that Christmas doesn't really mean anything to him at this age, so I'm not disturbed about the lack of presents. I am bugged by her attitude, though. "Hey, I just spent $75 on him! Isn't that enough?"

I also don't like the reasons she gives (in a blog post) for not doing Santa. Again, he's too little to understand Santa right now (heck, he can't even identify his mother when asked), but she says she won't do it in the future, because:

a) It would be a lie (is she going to ban any books/movies with fantasy elements for the same reason?), and

b) She wants him to know that *she* should get credit for any presents.

Frankly, I don't see why you can't have it both ways. When I was a kid, Santa filled the stockings and the presents under the tree came from family members. That way, my parents didn't have to put everything out on Christmas eve. Wrapped presents appeared under the tree a few at a time in the days leading up to Christmas; one of my favorite memories is of sitting under the tree trying to guess what things were.

I dont like the attitude about giving the kid something necessary, like boots. Its fine to not give gifts, especially when extended family goes overboard, but if you really consider something necessary for your child's health and safety as canceling out holiday gifts, you're an asshole. And ThatEvilShrew is a total asshole.

exposted with Linnea!

I don't have an issue with this specific gift-giving situation.

My sister's kid is the first grandchild on her husband's side, and his family ridiculously large and well off. She's not buying anything for her child either, because of the gifts that his family has already bought and had shipped to her house, or are waiting to give her in person.

When my DD was small we gave keepsake gifts made by her Father and I and the Grandparents supplied the big loot. In later years we all got one present to open on Xmas eve, it was always PJs so we'd all look spiffy in the Xmas morning photos.

As she got older, she discovered the Xmas box in my closet, I had a habit of buying early and stashing gifts. But after that initial discovery she never peeked. We loved watching the present pile build during the week prior to Xmas, but stockings were and are still the big treat. And yes, she still gets PJs and socks.

edited for riffles

We do Christmas gifts even though our son is too young to understand. We enjoy the look on his face when he sees toys under the tree Christmas morning. Last year when he was only 10 months he didn't get overwhelmed he was in heaven! Now we didn't get him a ton of stuff he had three or four toys and some books and other smaller items. He played with every toy that Santa had gave him that morning and was so happy! This year he's getting a kitchen set (his big gift),a small train set and some blocks. We'll probably add a couple books. He's also going to get a Yoda pillow on Christmas Eve (we do one gift on Christmas Eve). Of course we're at home for Christmas so we don't have to worry about bringing gifts back with us. I don't like her "I just spent money on him" attitude and wonder why she couldn't get him one small gift to get on Christmas.

This is so telling.

What a bitch.

You mean that parenting isn't all about getting credit for all the work you do behind the scenes?!?!? Dude, I'm never having kids.

I think I'm ok with not giving gifts, but spending $75 on kids shoes that they will outgrow in a year? Goodness I've never even spent $75 on a pair of shoes for myself!

I think I'm ok with not giving gifts, but spending $75 on kids shoes that they will outgrow in a year? Goodness I've never even spent $75 on a pair of shoes for myself!

This

Fourthed(?).

Oh and now I'm secretly Bill Gothard. BILL IS WATCHING YOU HEATHENS!

I'm a Vision Forum Intern.

A very feminine-looking one, I admit, but Doug's been casting against type lately.

I highly doubt my parents spend that much on shoes for my sister and me combined!

I have $75 shoes. I am on my feet all day long. I feel like I "deserve" them, as much as anyone "deserves" luxury items. I also "deserve" this chocolate truffle I'm about to eat.

TW says that T1 has some foot shaping issues that require special shoes. It looks like he just wears Pedipeds or similar expensive brand, though, not any special orthotic shoe. I dunno, if she can afford nice shoes then I say go for it. Orthopedic health is always a good investment! But it is not a freaking Christmas present; it's a pair of shoes.

I admit that I considered getting my baby Tupperware (it's what he likes best, srsly). I did end up getting him just a ball and a little stacking toy. He will get ample Hanukkah and Christmas presents from other relatives; people love to shop for little ones.

I do think $75 is expensive for kids shoes and if T1's feet grow like my son they won't last a year but a few months (if she's lucky). But I still don't think shoes especially if they're orthopedic ones or something shouldn't be counted as his gift. Get him something small like a book but let him have one gift from his parents. Even if he can't remember it and the grandparents spoil him you'll still know he had at least one thing from you.

OT I got tennis shoes for $20 from stride rite yesterday for my son! :D

My ds is 2 years old and yeah he probably won't remember getting anything, but I really want him to wake up on Christmas morning and have some presents from Santa! And we can't wait to play with him in the Bilibo Santa is bringing him ;) I bought some new winter clothes for my ds including shoes! last week, but that's not his Christmas present. That's me being his parent and making sure he is clothed.

We do Christmas gifts even though our son is too young to understand. We enjoy the look on his face when he sees toys under the tree Christmas morning. Last year when he was only 10 months he didn't get overwhelmed he was in heaven! Now we didn't get him a ton of stuff he had three or four toys and some books and other smaller items. He played with every toy that Santa had gave him that morning and was so happy! This year he's getting a kitchen set (his big gift),a small train set and some blocks. We'll probably add a couple books. He's also going to get a Yoda pillow on Christmas Eve (we do one gift on Christmas Eve). Of course we're at home for Christmas so we don't have to worry about bringing gifts back with us. I don't like her "I just spent money on him" attitude and wonder why she couldn't get him one small gift to get on Christmas.

It makes sense to spread the gifts out. Some people do it a different way - take most of htem away right after opening and let the kid choose a "new" one to play with every few weeks. But early makes sense, especially if they'll be traveling. My son's first Christmas, we got so many gifts they very nearly didn't fit into the car - we had to put the emergency snow shovel in the back seat with the baby, which kind of sucked.

My son's grandparents give him, seriously, a heap of gifts taller than he is. And they must all be opened at once, which when he was small was a problem - he'd get to something good and want to play and grandma would snatch it out of his hands and give him another box to open. Naturally by halfway through the heap he was sulky and confused instead of happy.

Since I was trying to LIMIT the inflow of random crap into our house, I never felt like I *could* get him anything because he was going to get so much. Finally this year I decided fuck it, grandma buys crap just because she likes to buy crap, I get to buy some stuff too. I got him a birthday present, and I'm getting him a Christmas present and it's going to be his favorite thing and she'll be sad, but she's ruined my Christmas for several years in a row now so oh well.

My sister and her husband typically just put a big chunk of money into his college for birthday and Christmas. But that's because of the rest of us spoil him rotten, and he's young enough to not really "get" who is getting him what. He just sees presents. He does know that I"m in charge of making all his hats, which he loves.

I admit that I considered getting my baby Tupperware (it's what he likes best, srsly). I did end up getting him just a ball and a little stacking toy. He will get ample Hanukkah and Christmas presents from other relatives; people love to shop for little ones.

You might want to consider wrapping up some Tupperware too. When I got my first college apartment, I took my mom's 1970's salad spinner with me (she had two, who knows why) and my roomate said "Oh my god! That was my favorite toy when I was a kid!"

I think it's pretty simple - bitch doesn't want to spend money on presents for T1, because that way there will be more money to spend on herself and ThatAsshole.

Archived