IGNORED

Do you ever get attached to the bloggers that you read?

fundies_like_zombies

I'll admit to liking Michelle (Farm Hijabi). Well maybe I don't LIKE her, but I find her interesting. She's so much like my mom that I can understand some of her viewpoints. At the same time, I want to shake her and make her wake up. I missed out on the early crazy but managed to dig up whatever is still left on her earlier blogs.

I like Tiffany Hector. And I like Rebecca the Unusual.

I think the common thread amongst all three is that (IMO) they are about 5 steps from being mainstream christian (instead of fundie/fundie-lite). I think any of them could go either way, at this point in their lives. (Yes I said Tiffany, don't laugh. I have my reasons for her, despite her family).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respectfully disagree, JFC. I think that for many fundamentalists it's easy to engage in the rhetoric while we are still living in a liberal democracy. I suspect a fair share of them would be unpleasantly surprised to find life under Dominion not all that... pleasant. Not that this means that we should underestimate any theocratic agenda, but I am inclined to think that your average fundamentalist is probably more bark than bite.

Probably, but they are still barking ;)

You are right, they would not love Gilead and they do not know what they are asking for. I know a severely disabled person who votes BNP. Some days, turkeys do vote for Xmas, I guess.

However naivete is not an excuse.

Likewise with fundies. They bought the lifestyle, the propaganda, the "be a stay at home daughter" and most importantly the "God hates everyone who isn't just like me". I have no liking or sympathy for these people. And I don't want to live in Gilead to teach them a lesson.

I have one that I feel a bit too attached too:

http://homemakingpilgrim.blogspotdotcom/

There's some definite fundy/patriarchy craziness but she is just so cute and has such a likeable personality from her posts. I just can't bring myself to snark on her.

I just looked her up. Holy shit! She might have some good recipes but she's still pretty frightening.

Probably, but they are still barking ;)

You are right, they would not love Gilead and they do not know what they are asking for. I know a severely disabled person who votes BNP. Some days, turkeys do vote for Xmas, I guess.

However naivete is not an excuse.

Likewise with fundies. They bought the lifestyle, the propaganda, the "be a stay at home daughter" and most importantly the "God hates everyone who isn't just like me". I have no liking or sympathy for these people. And I don't want to live in Gilead to teach them a lesson.

Oh absolutely, I fully agree with you. Even though I believe the average fundamentalist would not want to live in Gilead does not mean that the leadership of such groups cannot be very dangerous. Nor should we underestimate the impact fundamentalism can have on mainstream politics. There is nothing to be naive about; but I do think that the fundamentalists themselves are hopelessly naive on several levels.

Yes, weirdly enough, I have gotten attached twice.

Emily. Not UglyRegencyDressesEmily but TubeMeatHomeBirthDnaEmily. God love me, I loved that trainwreck. I really became a huge Dna cheerleader. I could not look away. Maybe attached is the wrong word. Addicted might be better. I really couldn't stop reading and rereading and commenting. Plus, I really wanted Dna to take the boys, leave and find good food and a dictionary somewhere safe.

Mrs. Anna T. She was my gateway fundie. I started reading her prior to her marriage and prior to her "coming out" as a Jew. I admit that for a long time I longed for the quiet, peaceful way she wrote about her life - before the stress started to get to her. She seemed genuinely happy with the life she had and seemed like she'd be very sweet in real life. Sure, I've snarked on her many times, but I somehow always wished well for her. I am really, really glad she's opening up about how hard it is to pop out a baby once a year and how taking care of children and being a homemaker full time does eat into one's time to grow individually and that perhaps coloring and folding baby clothes and making dinner ISN'T all a woman needs to feel personally fulfilled. I find her journey very interesting. Though even I wanted to just smack her upside the head when she cried and moaned about working 2 half days a week. She was a whiny brat then.

Before I got pretty fed-up with her anti-Catholic rantings and her inconsistencies, and the spitefulness that became apparent whenever she mentioned "gossip blogs", I really was pretty attached to Candy.

I never commented, and she lives a life that is really not similar to mine at all, but I kept checking in because I liked her optimism and her ability to be happy and contented while working really hard and living humbly. I wished her and her family well (I do still wish them well, of course. But I am a lot less certain that her real life is actually the way she presents it on her blog.)

The one I despise the most is the one I read the most. I'm not attached, just addicted. Sometimes I wonder if I am in need of some kind of counselling!i mean it doesn't add up. Maybe it is a train wreck thing...

Boogalou I hear you! Zsuzsu at least has depth. She is at least not a simpleton. My pet hates are the bimbo fundie type and the kind who subject their kids to a d grade education while they blog all day about how creative/intelligent they are. Mea.while the lids cant read. Zsu is kinda dangerous but effective.

Archived