IGNORED

40 days for a boy, 80 days for a girl

fakepigtails73

I could totally see JB doing something like that, not even realizing that a Jewish day is from sundown to sundown.

Realistically, a lot of moms are not even in shape for sex in 40 days.

I think the soonest I was ready to "get back in the saddle" after a birth was at least 60 days. After my youngest it was more like 90, I was so exhausted...

I actually consider the Zionism of fundies one of their (few) redeeming qualities when it comes to politics. Of course I don't think Jesus is coming back but I like America looking out for Israel and I don't mind fundies being on board with that.

You take a dunk, totally nude, in either a natural body of water, or something called a mikvah which looks like a small pool or large hot tub, but is constructed by allowing natural rain water to fall into a pool, and then supplementing that water with regular tap water. The mikvah is indoors, so you get some privacy and reasonable temperature control. Add "religious requirement to go skinny dipping" to the list of things that you never knew about Orthodox Jews.

Soldier of the One: I'm not going to ask too many rhetorical questions like that, because I'm afraid the answer may be that Lina does these things.

Is the mikvah similar to the tub in the basement of the synagogue that we see Charlotte going into when she converts (in a Sex and the City episode)?

Is the mikvah similar to the tub in the basement of the synagogue that we see Charlotte going into when she converts (in a Sex and the City episode)?

Yup, that was a mikva.

I read that in some fundie circles when a woman gives birth to a baby boy she has to abstain from sex for 40 days, while if she gives birth to a girl it's 2X that (80 days).

Is that biblical? Is that an ATI-Gothard thing? Is there a lot of christians who apply that?

Why the difference? I hate the fact that it takes much longer for a daughter. It's as if she's unclean or something.

"In the real world" doctors recommend 4 to 6 weeks before doing it.

ITA. I never got why the Duggars did that, nor why they abstain from pork. Such obvious picking and choosing. :roll:

Yes. It's also used as the last step in conversions.

It's basically a hybrid between a small swimming pool and a hot tub, with piping connecting it to a natural body of water (i.e. rainwater).

There is nothing overly mysterious about a mikveh.

You take a dunk, totally nude, in either a natural body of water, or something called a mikvah which looks like a small pool or large hot tub, but is constructed by allowing natural rain water to fall into a pool, and then supplementing that water with regular tap water. The mikvah is indoors, so you get some privacy and reasonable temperature control. Add "religious requirement to go skinny dipping" to the list of things that you never knew about Orthodox Jews.

Soldier of the One: I'm not going to ask too many rhetorical questions like that, because I'm afraid the answer may be that Lina does these things.

Oops, just now saw this. Thanks for the info! :)

Just 'cause I'm snoopy and went and Googled "mikveh" images to see what they looked like, what does one do in there? Is there a place to sit? (it didn't look like it). How long do you stay in?

You just go in to immerse/dunk - so maybe 30 seconds? A minute?

You walk down the steps, stand in the water (naked, of course) and immerse yourself by going under the water. You come up again, recite the appropriate blessing or prayer and repeat the immersions (without formal prayer, although many women pray from the heart during this time) a few more times. Then you get out of the mikveh.

Hope this helps!

You just go in to immerse/dunk - so maybe 30 seconds? A minute?

You walk down the steps, stand in the water (naked, of course) and immerse yourself by going under the water. You come up again, recite the appropriate blessing or prayer and repeat the immersions (without formal prayer, although many women pray from the heart during this time) a few more times. Then you get out of the mikveh.

Hope this helps!

That. I just wanted to add that you don't start soaping up or anything - you're suppose to remove all jewellery, contact lenses, etc. and take a good shower first. It's a spiritual cleansing, not a communal bathtub.

There's also a detective novel by Faye Kellerman about a mikveh. The Ritual Bath. It's the first in her Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker series. Rina Lazarus is the mikveh lady, and Peter Decker is the detective rediscovering his Jewish heritage and getting progressively more Orthodox.

I actually consider the Zionism of fundies one of their (few) redeeming qualities when it comes to politics. Of course I don't think Jesus is coming back but I like America looking out for Israel and I don't mind fundies being on board with that.

I totally agree with you. I've done a lot of reading on this and wanted to know the motivation of "Christian Zionists." I heard an interview with Bill Maher (not sure if I got his name right) and Benjamin Netanyahu. Maher told Netanyahu that the CZs believe that it's their responsibility to encourage as many Jews as possible to return to the Holy Land and then Jesus is going to kill all the Jews. Netanyahu scoffed at that idea (good for him) and said, "Look, we'll talk about that if it happens."

Now, there are a lot of things I don't like about the fundies, especially patriarchal fundies, but I've been in several different "fundy" churches and at no time did I ever hear anyone spouting anything so ridiculous. Fundy Christians do not believe that they can do anything to speed up the return of Jesus, much less by trying to encourage zionism. The current "president?" or whatever of Christians Standing with Israel has written an outstanding article about what his group stands for. If I can find the link I will post it if anyone's terribly interested.

One other thing, in all the churches I've ever been in I have learned that Jews are the chosen people, and still are. I've never been in a church that taught Replacement Theology.

I was going to edit my comment above, but I'll just post again. CZs are very pro-Israel because of the fact that they believe that Jews are the chosen people. They believe that Israel has a right to exist and that it also has a right to defend itself against terrorism.

I could totally see JB doing something like that, not even realizing that a Jewish day is from sundown to sundown.

Realistically, a lot of moms are not even in shape for sex in 40 days.

Yeah, we have a rule in this house. Mom is ready for sex post-childbirth WHENEVER THE HELL I SAY I AM AND NOT UNTIL! So don't be humping on my leg or anything. Here's a bottle of lotion and some tissue. I'm sure you remember this from college.

A co-worker of mine told her husband that the doctor said they had to wait 6 months after she gave birth before they could have sex. All the other women I work with laughed knowingly at this poor guy. I asked her sis-in-law why she did that and she told me because she just doesn't like sex. I told my husband and he said, "Oh, that just is not right"

As everyone's said, the mikva is a small swimming pool type thing you immerse in. It's located in a larger building with prep rooms that can range from community to community. In our neighborhood, the mikva is like a spa--I always strategize to get the room with the garden tub, and the surroundings are beautiful:) Immersing in the mikva is about celebrating the new cycle as a sign of rebirth and G-d's continual renewing of the world--it was a very healing ritual for me when I was going through infertility.

Archived