IGNORED

My first beef with All American Muslim.

Stacie

And it has nothing to do with their religion, or their culture.

I liked Shadia up until tonight, but can't believe that she married Jeff knowing she was highly allergic to dogs, then waited until after they were married and moving to a new house to insist he have to get rid of Rigley.

I'm sorry....but that is just low.

The only time I'd give up an animal for anyone would be if my child were deathly allergic and meds didn't work, but would never do that for a boyfriend or spouse. Then again, I wouldn't have dated anyone past the "I'm allergic" or "I'm not really fond of animals in my house/my furniture" phase either.

Especially with Rigley being as old as she was......

If someone decides he wants to give up their pet for their partner, it is fine. But being untruthful about allergies/dislike and come out after the fact and make demands just SUCKS. A woman lick that deserves to be called what she is: A lying (Did I spell that correctly? Lie, lay, lying, whatever - this is difficult!), manipulative bitch!

I currently own two cats, my mother made me get them because she thought I'd be too lonely without a pet, but I am more of a dog person, but have no time for a dog. So I might consider getting rid of a cat for a spouse because I am not particularily attatched to them, but even that would be a hard decision because I am responsible for them. They are no things, and changing homes is hard on them, so most likely, I would not get rid of them.

My partner has several allergies and tends to develop new ones if triggered and has asthma, but we do not live together and do not plan on doing so (we both need our own space and would go crazy with each other as well as any other person), so fortunately, this is not an issue. I vacuum intensely before he comes over.

What ended up happening to the dog?

I agree that expecting a partner to get rid of their pet is pretty low. Especially because most of the time adult dogs and cats have a hard time getting adopted if they wind up at a shelter (since there are plenty of kittens and puppies that people would rather have). In some shelters, old animals are pretty much automatically put to sleep.

I couldn't do that to my pets. I believe that adopting a pet means you are responsible for it for life.

We have four cats and a dog and we would never get rid of them. They are going to have to learn to co-exist with the baby and the baby is going to have to learn how to treat them with respect. For me asking your partner to get rid of your furbaby is a line that does not get crossed, if it comes to choosing one, I'll always choose my babies. Hell, I've had a co-worker ask if we were going to declaw the kitties now we have a child and I got really mad at her for even suggesting such a thing.

Did she realize that she is allergic before? I have a friend who did not know he was allergic to cats until he moved in with a girl who has them. Unfortunately, his allergy did not appear with casual exposure and he did not find out that the cat was the problem until testing. He loves cats and his girlfriend has had this one for years, so it is kinda sad.

Even if she didn't realize she was so allergic, she knew that Muslims have issues with dogs. I wonder if that was clearly explained to him before they were married.

We have four cats and a dog and we would never get rid of them. They are going to have to learn to co-exist with the baby and the baby is going to have to learn how to treat them with respect. For me asking your partner to get rid of your furbaby is a line that does not get crossed, if it comes to choosing one, I'll always choose my babies. Hell, I've had a co-worker ask if we were going to declaw the kitties now we have a child and I got really mad at her for even suggesting such a thing.

Co-signed! My husband & I have two cats and a baby on the way. On Facebook this weekend, a friend (father of two, no pets) posted something on my wall about getting plenty of rest now and "start letting the cats know they're going to become low-man on the totem pole." I was livid! I've had the one cat for 11 years now, and the other cat adopted us six years ago. Just because we're having a baby, there's no way our cats are going to suddenly become less important to us.

I had a cat when my husband and I married. He did not realize he was allergic to them. He grew up with cats but they were outdoors cats. My cat was an indoors cat. At first he would only react if the cat got in his face a lot, but slowly his reactions got worse and worse no matter what we did. We tried OTC meds and shots and inhalers and everything but it just didn't work. He was heartbroken when we had to give the cat away. He loved that cat, even though it made him very sick.

I wonder what this woman has tried.

Co-signed! My husband & I have two cats and a baby on the way. On Facebook this weekend, a friend (father of two, no pets) posted something on my wall about getting plenty of rest now and "start letting the cats know they're going to become low-man on the totem pole." I was livid! I've had the one cat for 11 years now, and the other cat adopted us six years ago. Just because we're having a baby, there's no way our cats are going to suddenly become less important to us.

I hear ya about being angry with tha FB guy!

Nothing irks me more than people getting rid of the family pets because they're expecting. The pets were there when they were single and alone most likely. What a nice way to thank them!

It might sound uber-sensitive of me, but I cannot bear watching the news when they talk about cruelty to pets, or unwanted cats and dogs at the shelters. Breaks my heart.

The only time I'd give up an animal for anyone would be if my child were deathly allergic and meds didn't work,

Call my a heartless bitch, but it seems selfish to make your child live a doped up life just because you aren't willing to find your pet another home. Allergy meds aren't so benign pill that just happens to stop the symptoms of allergies. Like any other medication, unless you have to (i.e. there is no physically possible way to avoid the allergens), you should be taking them long term.

Yes, I understand that pets are important, but medicating your child unnecessarily just so you can keep is about you, not about your child's well-being.

And it has nothing to do with their religion, or their culture.

I liked Shadia up until tonight, but can't believe that she married Jeff knowing she was highly allergic to dogs, then waited until after they were married and moving to a new house to insist he have to get rid of Rigley.

I'm sorry....but that is just low.

The only time I'd give up an animal for anyone would be if my child were deathly allergic and meds didn't work, but would never do that for a boyfriend or spouse. Then again, I wouldn't have dated anyone past the "I'm allergic" or "I'm not really fond of animals in my house/my furniture" phase either.

Especially with Rigley being as old as she was......

I thought it was really sad too. Poor Wrigley is about 100 in human years, and has to be left with strangers for the last very few years of her life, lonely and wondering what happened to her dear friend. Admittedly she has a good place to live with other dogs and people, and was not just dumped somewhere, but still after so long living with someone, she must be very sad to have him just disappear. It was heart-wrenching, and didn't look like Shadia made much of an effort to adapt.

Call my a heartless bitch, but it seems selfish to make your child live a doped up life just because you aren't willing to find your pet another home. Allergy meds aren't so benign pill that just happens to stop the symptoms of allergies. Like any other medication, unless you have to (i.e. there is no physically possible way to avoid the allergens), you should be taking them long term.

Yes, I understand that pets are important, but medicating your child unnecessarily just so you can keep is about you, not about your child's well-being.

This!

It is one thing for an adult to choose to take allergy meds to stay w/ a partner who wants to keep a pet. Allergy meds can be pretty miserable for some people to take...I have seasonal allergies and I choose to deal w/ the allergies than take the meds because of the side effects of the meds. I couldn't imagine forcing daily, lifetime meds on a baby/child when there is another solution...even if it is as difficult and heartbreaking as finding another home for a pet. Parents sometimes have to make difficult sacrifices for the well-being of their children.

Even if she didn't realize she was so allergic, she knew that Muslims have issues with dogs. I wonder if that was clearly explained to him before they were married.

What problems do Muslims have with dogs?

What problems do Muslims have with dogs?

They are haram, unless it's a service dog (though some uber conservatives think services dogs are bad too).

didn't look like Shadia made much of an effort to adapt.
As someone with asthma and allergies, I take three medications every day to help me co-exist with environmental allergies (dust mites and pollens). I also have an emergency inhaler for those days when my wheezing starts to get out of hand. I use an air purifier in my bedroom 24/7. I also took weekly shots for nearly four years (highly inconvenient if you work, as you have to go to the doctor's office during work hours, then remain there for at least 30 minutes after the shot). Allergies are not fun to live with.

I am also extremely allergic to cats, although that allergy did not emerge until my late 20s. I grew up with cats, and slept with one on my bed every night from 8th grade to 12th grade. Now, however, if I touch a cat, or a surface a cat has been on, then happen to touch my face anywhere near my eyes, my eyes almost immediately begin to swell and feel like they have sand in them. It takes nearly an entire day to resolve, and is extremely painful in the meantime. That's not even considering the constant wheezing, "gunk" production, dripping nose, etc. Imagine feeling like you have the worst head/chest cold ever, then imagine it 24/7/365.

At the time I discovered this allergy, we had two cats. We ended up having to find new homes for them, as there was simply no way I could co-exist. I even tried again, due to my daughter's pleading eyes, a few years later, hoping that either the allergy had abated, or that keeping the cat in her room would be sufficient. Not.

It sounds like Shadia has the same intense allergy to dogs that I have to cats. There is simply no way you can live like that. Even with the medications I take, the cat allergy is simply too strong to deal with, and it requires constant vigilance, cleaning, etc.

While I don't really have an opinion on how they discussed (or didn't) the problem before marriage, because we know TLC doesn't show you the whole story, I totally get why she cannot live with a dog in the house.

I wrote my post at 1 a.m....no, my child will ALWAYS come before anyone. I would do everything in my power to keep my child healthy AND keep my pet without screwing up their routine before I'd give it up. If that meant my inside dog suddendly had to be outside all the time....I'd see what I could do about finding it placement with a close friend or family member because let's face it,outside all the time is just cruel. But child comes first.

But new spouse or boyfriend, roomate, whatever? Sorry....dog stays. I would hope that anyone that's going to marry someone has already spent enough time at each others houses (chaperoned or not) to know whether it's going to be an issue. Especially with an older, hard to place pet.

Did she realize that she is allergic before? I have a friend who did not know he was allergic to cats until he moved in with a girl who has them. Unfortunately, his allergy did not appear with casual exposure and he did not find out that the cat was the problem until testing. He loves cats and his girlfriend has had this one for years, so it is kinda sad.

She mentioned she's allergic and it didn't sound like new news. She's the one that's been married before, has tattoos, etc. I do like her but come on, there's no way they didn't spend enough time at each others houses to figure out she had an allergy. They could have restricted her to the kitchen or something to keep her off the carpet and make her dad happy about no dog hair in the other rooms.

They are haram, unless it's a service dog (though some uber conservatives think services dogs are bad too).

I'm half Greek....it's not so much a religious thing as it is cultural. There are a lot of countries with people with messed up views of animals handed down generation after generation. My aunt had a cow when I was in Greece because I was constantly petting with stray and pet dogs alike. I was homewick for my two Labs and she was convinced I was going to get some horrible disease. She lived in the middle of Athens..... A lot of the Greeks in my community are the same way, even some born in the U.S. You should see them when I bring a Guide Dog pup in training around....oh boy! But many more aren't like that at all, and I'm sure it's the same in the Arab culture.

We have four cats and a dog and we would never get rid of them. They are going to have to learn to co-exist with the baby and the baby is going to have to learn how to treat them with respect.

It's totally doable. I have 2 cats, and although they were a little miffed for a few days when we first brought her home, they got it over it with plenty of pettings and canned food bribes.

I gave up my adorable, super affectionate cat when I got married because my husband is allergic. He's also allergic to dogs, so realistically, we are going to live a pet free life, sadly. But, I knew that before the "I dos", so it was something I chose and luckily my kitty is with my sister, so I still get to visit.

The crazy things you do for love...

Sorry but I hate Shadia for this. I saw the episode a few minutes ago and bawled my eyes out when he had to leave his dog. This should have been brought up BEFORE the marriage. She fucking sucks.

And yes, I have asthma and I am deathly allergic to cats. I would NEVER do that to someone and their pet. NEVER! That poor dog is so old it probably only has a year or two left.

I feel so bad for Jeff and the dog.

Sorry but I hate Shadia for this. I saw the episode a few minutes ago and bawled my eyes out when he had to leave his dog. This should have been brought up BEFORE the marriage. She fucking sucks.

And yes, I have asthma and I am deathly allergic to cats. I would NEVER do that to someone and their pet. NEVER! That poor dog is so old it probably only has a year or two left.

I feel so bad for Jeff and the dog.

I haven't watched since the pilot episode (I'm in the midst of finals), but was he the guy who also converted to the Muslin faith so he could marry her?

This was what I was thinking. She was never around dogs, she said. Muslims are not supposed to be around ogs or keep them as pets, so maybe she hadn't had long enough of a chance to realize she couldn't tolerate life with Wrigley. It was super sad to watch them drive away, though :(

This was what I was thinking. She was never around dogs, she said. Muslims are not supposed to be around ogs or keep them as pets, so maybe she hadn't had long enough of a chance to realize she couldn't tolerate life with Wrigley. It was super sad to watch them drive away, though :(

And really, the specific animal plays a part too. I'm horribly allergic to cats, but some cats do nothing more than make me a little sniffy, others will damn near kill me. It's possible she though "well, I've spent time around the dog and haven't had a problem yet so I should be fine with this one" only to move in with the dog and suddenly find herself barely able to take the edge off with anti-histamines.

Archived