IGNORED

B*tch Magazine: SAHD Movement

Gizmola

Very good read.

Some of the comments are interesting. There was one comment about not all Christian homeschoolers are the same. I agree with that comment. I know one woman who homeschooled her daughters and she hates the idea of 18 or older SAHDs.

When I read articles like this, I always wonder what those kinds of women do when widowed. I was widowed at 41, so I probably will re-marry at some point. But, what am I suppose to do in the meantime (according to this way of thinking)? Since I can't think for myself and I need a man to think for me--now what? Wander around aimlessly looking for new "headship"? In my situation, I only have one brother and he lives 2,000 miles from me. (And he's an atheist.) So, he's out as far as "shepherding" me. And since many of these groups are "home churched" with husband as preacher/spiritual leader, I couldn't even go to my church for "leadership".

This mindset has a lot of holes in it.

Despite the assertion of stay-at-home daughters that they are “protected†(albeit in a country where they have every legal right to walk away from their families and churches), it’s difficult not to view them as being extremely vulnerable. After all, men who grow up 
believing that women were created to serve their whims are generally the ones who are just as likely to abuse the women they see as “theirs†as to protect them from others.

Great quote. Very true.

Crystal-J, I believe in your situation, your pastor would be your headship.

Yes, that would probably be the case if someone went to a church, but I was thinking about people who "home church" (like the Duggars)--so they don't have a pastor. Even if I had a pastor, I can't see calling him or going to see him over every issue in my life (that a fundie husband would usually decide). You'd think the pastor's wife wouldn't be too thrilled with a woman calling all the time, asking permission to do things. I'm gonna guess they'd try to get a single like that married off as quickly as possible. lol

My father would tell me to get real (actually, he'd say "that's not how I raised you") if I tried to pull the SAHD routine on him. Plus, he has my unemployed brother living with him and my mother right now. So they don't need a SAHD.

Does anybody else notice how often it's sisters who do the primary teaching among SAHD movement? Are they too blind to see that they are acting out a working relationship where they are in equal authority to each other, and productive and happy in their relationship? If two sisters started a feminist blog, they would be accused of being 'incestuous lesbians' by the SAHD movement, so how is it that it doesn't go both ways?

With the sole exception of the sex, the leaders of the SAHD movement appear to be practicing lesbians. Unified goals, objectives, worldviews, determined life companionship, and they live together, and do everything together!! And like lesbians, they feel to some degree that it's them vs. mainstream culture. They have the 'sticktogetherness' of being socially profiled. It seems to me that the reason they're so happy in their 'submitted' position is that they at least have each other.

Just speculating after reading the article. Great article too.

the thing is they don't really think about what life was like back in bible days. I bet most woman were married by 14 or so and it was very unsafe back then for woman to wonder around. I am sorry but things are not like that now. that's why living according to the bible is a fools dream and pointless since You can't live that way these days. Plus the bible was never a manual on how to live it does not have the details for that.

Archived