IGNORED

Man Arrested After Beating Child of Fellow Church MERGED

Alecto

This just makes me sick.

A couple who suspected their 15-year-old son of smoking turned to a man believed to be relied on in their Southern California church to violently discipline children, authorities said.

The parents asked Paul Kim, 39, to discipline their son after finding a lighter in his possession, dropping the boy off at Kim's Chino Hills home with permission for the beating, San Bernardino County sheriff's spokesperson Cindy Bachman said Saturday.

Kim hit the child with a metal pole about a dozen times, causing severe bruising on his legs, according to Bachman. The pole was about an inch (2.5 centimeters) in diameter, investigators said.

An adult at the boy's school saw the bruises and called Irvine police, who in turn informed San Bernardino County officials, she said.

Kim was arrested Tuesday at his home and released Thursday after posting bail. He faces a felony charge of willful cruelty to a child. No court date has been set, according to jail records.

The San Bernardino County District Attorney's office was reviewing the sheriff's department report and will decide whether to charge the teen's father, Bachman said.

It wasn't immediately known whether the father was present at the time of the beating.

The names of the boy and his parents were not released.

Investigators believe Kim has been used in this way by other families in the congregation, and asked for victims and witnesses to come forward.

The name of the church was not released but Bachman said it was located in La Habra.

It wasn't immediately known whether Kim had hired an attorney. A message left at a Chino Hills listing with his name was not returned Saturday.

So, this man has been used by multiple families in his church to beat other children into submission.

Sick. Just absofuckinglutely sick.

it's hard to say who is worse the man or the families that send their kids to him? I mean to send your child to someone to get beaten because you don't have the guts to do it yourself? what kind of parent does that? I think people sent their kids to the pearls for disiple too if I remember right.

Is it a Missouri Synod Lutheran church, or a "normal" Lutheran church? That seems surprising for a normal Lutheran church.

There are two Lutheran Churches in La Habra. My guess is this one is the Lutheran Church of the Master - it came up under Korean Church search, (Paul Kim is Asian) and the other Lutheran church is very white, very mainline, and very shiny-happy people and runs a preschool.

I hate to say it, but Asians do this crap to their kids, and no one says anything to them. I've known a couple cases personally.

Guest Anonymous
There are two Lutheran Churches in La Habra. My guess is this one is the Lutheran Church of the Master - it came up under Korean Church search, (Paul Kim is Asian) and the other Lutheran church is very white, very mainline, and very shiny-happy people and runs a preschool.

I hate to say it, but Asians do this crap to their kids, and no one says anything to them. I've known a couple cases personally.

White people do this crap to their kids and no one says anything to them. Until the kids turn up dead, anyhow. I doubt this has much if anything to do with race.

White people do this crap to their kids and no one says anything to them. Until the kids turn up dead, anyhow. I doubt this has much if anything to do with race.

I agree. This kind of shit transcends race :cry:

Sorry, but I can't see a mainline Lutheren suburban lilly white middle class church with a preschool pulling this shit in an institutionalized manner. I can see a Korean church pulling it that way.

And before you call me a racist, know that I lived ten years with a high concentration of Asians, defended them from other racial groups who were physically attacking them ( I'm a big woman... the two women I fought for were not) my daughter's best friend since infancy is Korean, and I've seen a much higher ratio of physical -corporal that is - discipline on a daily basis in that culture up close and personal. If this was a backwoods Tennessee church ala the Pearls, they'd be typecast just the same way. And yeah, it's wrong, no matter who does it.

Sorry, but I can't see a mainline Lutheren suburban lilly white middle class church with a preschool pulling this shit in an institutionalized manner. I can see a Korean church pulling it that way.

Trust me, "lily white middle class" people do PLENTY of shit that is right on par with this.

Child abuse transcends race, unfortunately. I think it's more about class than it is race, but it's more that rich people can hide the abuse much better than the poor seem to be able to.

The whole being honorary whites thing might be one reason, but the primary reason for these particular Asians getting away with this is because they're a church. Churches get away with all kinds of horrible shit because oh, they're CHURCHES and THAT'S WHAT THEY BELIEVE. Fuck that shit, any church that abuses children should not only be publicly named an shamed, but stripped of all legal exemptions and its leaders imprisoned.

Child abuse transcends race, unfortunately. I think it's more about class than it is race, but it's more that rich people can hide the abuse much better than the poor seem to be able to.

The whole being honorary whites thing might be one reason, but the primary reason for these particular Asians getting away with this is because they're a church. Churches get away with all kinds of horrible shit because oh, they're CHURCHES and THAT'S WHAT THEY BELIEVE. Fuck that shit, any church that abuses children should not only be publicly named an shamed, but stripped of all legal exemptions and its leaders imprisoned.

Yep, I'm with you on that.

I don't honestly know much about abuse among the rich.

Sort of off topic, but not. I was trained as a domestic violence advocate at women's shelter. We were taught that if a very well dressed woman pulls up in a BMW and tells you she is in danger and needs gas money to get away from her abuser, to give her 10 dollars. She is telling the truth.

Sorry, but I can't see a mainline Lutheren suburban lilly white middle class church with a preschool pulling this shit in an institutionalized manner.

I can. Some of the more conservative branches of Lutheranism are out there. I have lily-white middle class relatives who are part of the Church of the Lutheran Confession. This group left the Missouri Synod because it was too liberal. They're more prone to emotional abuse, but this sort of systematic system is totally them.

I can. Some of the more conservative branches of Lutheranism are out there. I have lily-white middle class relatives who are part of the Church of the Lutheran Confession. This group left the Missouri Synod because it was too liberal. They're more prone to emotional abuse, but this sort of systematic system is totally them.

Wow! The things I didn't know about Lutherens. I thought they were all " ok " - ala not batshit crazy like the Pearls.

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

WTF is wrong with people?! If someone dared lay a hand on my kids I would beat them to a bloody pulp and here these parents are handing their kids over to someone to be beaten into submission. Everyone involved should rot in prison.

Yep, I'm with you on that.

I don't honestly know much about abuse among the rich.

There's already been a comment about "lily white middle class Lutherans" who can't possibly be abusers. It's telling that's we are SO SHOCKED by abuse cases where the families are middle-class or better. I think that's why you don't know, because either it's easier for the poor to be caught, or because nobody really wants to mess with someone who's middle class, or because they're just seeing things because of *course* someone who's middle-class would never do such a thing.

Middle-class white parents do abuse, they just have the wealth and connections to hide it, and at least the connections to get away with it. I'm not talking like, the dad will play golf with the judge or something, but just being respected in the community and not having anything that can be held against them. In fact I've heard "oh, they were just SO STRESSED OUT" being said about middle class parents than poor parents charged with child abuse. Because taking your frustration and stress out physically on your kids is totally okay when you're middle class.

Wow! The things I didn't know about Lutherens. I thought they were all " ok " - ala not batshit crazy like the Pearls.

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

CLC is more often emotional stuff. than the physical Pearl-style stuff. Very isolationist. When a cousin of ours got married, the CLC family couldn't sing the hymn the couple wanted sung, because it wasn't a CLC church. In some ways, it seems normal. Women can wear pants, go to school and have jobs. You can dance and drink. But they are very Bible-literalist, believing that people really did live hundreds of years once, for instance, and, as I noted, very isolationist in some practices. They have church schools, a boarding high school, and a "college" where you can learn to be a CLC pastor OR a CLC church school teacher.

There's already been a comment about "lily white middle class Lutherans" who can't possibly be abusers. It's telling that's we are SO SHOCKED by abuse cases where the families are middle-class or better. I think that's why you don't know, because either it's easier for the poor to be caught, or because nobody really wants to mess with someone who's middle class, or because they're just seeing things because of *course* someone who's middle-class would never do such a thing.

Middle-class white parents do abuse, they just have the wealth and connections to hide it, and at least the connections to get away with it. I'm not talking like, the dad will play golf with the judge or something, but just being respected in the community and not having anything that can be held against them. In fact I've heard "oh, they were just SO STRESSED OUT" being said about middle class parents than poor parents charged with child abuse. Because taking your frustration and stress out physically on your kids is totally okay when you're middle class.

I remember that there were kids in my high school who were abused - but they came from families where there were drinking problems, etc. Hell, my own family got pretty interesting there for a while, if sibling abuse counts for anything ( and I have the scar on my head to prove it.. I was quite a bit younger than the perp, who denies remembering anything about all that happened between us) I also am well aware that sexual abuse happens in those areas - again, my high school, and my church as well ... but something like this? I can't imagine it having been covered up and perpetrated for any lengt

h of time. I'm really very interested to see which church it was.

Ever wonder what happens when kids outgrow the plumbing line and still insist upon being rebellious teens?

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — An Irvine couple who suspected their 15-year-old son of smoking turned to a man believed to be relied on in their church to violently discipline children, authorities said.

The parents asked Paul Kim, 39, to discipline their son after finding a lighter in his possession, dropping the boy off at Kim's Chino Hills home with permission for the beating, San Bernardino County sheriff's spokesperson Cindy Bachmann said Saturday.

Kim hit the child with a metal pole about a dozen times, causing severe bruising on his legs, according to Bachmann. The pole was about an inch in diameter, investigators said.

An adult at the boy's school saw the bruises and called Irvine police, who in turn informed San Bernardino County officials, she said.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...org%3E&ps=1018

It's the Lutheran church in La Habra, California

Archived