IGNORED

If you could take just one Duggar home with you...

ukjingernut

... which one would you take?

Jill. She deserves her own life. Urgently. I'd get her enrolled in all the necessary pre-requisites to train as a nurse or midwife, find her a proper church with a support network, give her a home and allow her the freedom to discover what she wants - or to do what she believes God wants - from life. And if she wanted it as a job, I'd employ her as an au pair to look after my kiddies whilst I'm at work.

If I could take a second, though, I'd take Jennifer. My reluctance is only that I think she'd need more experienced care than I could provide. My daughter is Josie's age and appears at a similar developmental level to Jennifer, and I'm not sure I'd know how to approach that for either of them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josiaha--he's the square peg being beaten into the round hole of "skeeels" and manly work. Let him choose his own course in life.

Jordyn. I would take Hannie but I think thats a package deal... you have to take Jackson too. Or I'd take Joy. The poor girl would get to do what SHE wanted to do (within reason of course)

We could further this thread to:

"What would you do with the Duggar of your choice, how would you make sure they get the life that they deserve?"

"What would you do with the Duggar of your choice, how would you make sure they get the life that they deserve?"

Josiah. I already have a teenaged son, and because of him I have a soft spot for boys. (I also admit I don't watch the show,so a lot of the younger kids are a blur to me). His reaction to the announcement of #20 made me feel for him. I would review what he has learned at the SOTDRT and see what he needs to do to get caught up to grade level. I'd get tutors and work with him. If all goes well, he can then finish up high school (a real public high school! With activities! and other kids!)with my son. My son would be happy to introduce him to the wonders of real biology, answer all his questions about evolution and teach him the joy of video games and popular culture. I'd supply the real American history and literature. I'd expose him to the cultural activities in our small city and the circle of colleagues at the various colleges and universities in the area. Josiah would be allowed to study what he wants at college, to try different sports and activities, to just be himself. Then, when he is ready, he can write the long-anticipated expose of life as a Duggar (I'd help him with editing and proofreading).

(I realize that acclimating him to life outside the Duggar compound and Gothard mindset would be much harder than it sounds above. I'd take him to counseling to deal with the change in lifestyle and conflicting emotions).

Joy. She was on my mind a lot this summer/fall when I watched my 11 yr old daughter play volleyball. I kept thinking how sad it was that Joy wasn't allowed to do anything like that, and how much she'd love it. I also thought of her when my kids & their friends were playing at the pool, in their normal bathing suits. Poor Joy never has the opportunity to just play with kids her own age and do normal happy childhood things. Just so, so, sad that she can't have a normal childhood. I think she'd adapt to normal life pretty quickly and be a LOT happier.

And could I please liberate one more? Jana needs to get out of there pronto. Poor girl looks almost suicidal. I'm not quite sure what to do with a 21 yr old, but I'd help her enroll in college, loan her a car and let her know I trust her enough to let her come and go as she pleases, with no chaperone. I think she would have a very hard time with re-adjustment, but she'd be OK. WAY happier than she is now.

The parents. Then the younger children could be split up among (normal, non-fundy relatives) and the grown children would be free to live their own lives. Most efficient solution possible!

The parents. Then the younger children could be split up among (normal, non-fundy relatives) and the grown children would be free to live their own lives. Most efficient solution possible!

Indeed, I like your thinking!

(I realize that acclimating him to life outside the Duggar compound and Gothard mindset would be much harder than it sounds above. I'd take him to counseling to deal with the change in lifestyle and conflicting emotions).

I think therapy is a MUST for all the children once they get out of there.

Wonder if Susanna, Daniel, Rebekah Keller went through counseling or therapy.

I pick Joy. She seems the most in need of freedom, and the least likely to be able to get it herself. She has a lot of potential, but unlike Hannie I think she would need more support to escape. Plus I have a sister her age, who can teach her about dating and pants wearing and public school, and talking to her friends on Skype all night. My sister totally wants to corrupt Joy.

Maybe if one of them does escape they can find an ally in Susanna Keller who seems to have done well for herself.

Hmm... I don't know.

I'd like to free Jana because she's been raising her mom's kids for 15 years now. I'd get her enrolled in school, cook for her, and just let her RELAX.

John, so he could do what he wants as a career without having anyone lecture him about how his choices are wrong.

Jill, so she could go to a real nursing school, and like Jana, just relax and not have to take care of kids that aren't hers.

Jessa & Jinger so they could be normal teenagers for once.

Joseph, so he could go to school and learn how to form a sentence and have some intellectual stimulation, so he's not just staring blankly into space all the time.

Josiah, so he can express his emotions without having his arms clawed by Jim Bob.

Joy, so she can wear pants, play basketball, and finish being a kid.

Jedidiah & Jeremiah, so they can flourish as their own people instead of always lumped together because they're twins. I'd let Jed watch all the movies he wants and take Jer to chess tournaments.

Jason, so he can get the attention he needs without having to always act silly so people are looking at him. I'd also let him lay in bed to heal instead of taking him on a bus tour while he's all banged up.

James, so he could get professional help and calm the haaaayl down!!!

Justin, so he could get attention, because he so obviously wants it, being the forgotten Duggar.

Jackson & Johannah, so they can also learn to calm down, dance whenever they want to, and go to school.

Jennifer - This poor little girl. She is so scared of everything. I'd also get her checked out because she says less than my 2-year-old, and he speaks more clearly than she does too.

Jordyn, like Justin, so she can get the attention she needs. She went from being ignored under the blanket on the My Breast Friend, to being ignored because of Josie's whole ordeal, now she's totally forgotten because of the #20 miscarriage.

Josie because she's clearly not getting the attention and medical care she needs, unless something goes seriously wrong.

I'd put all the kids from Joseph on down into good schools. A couple hours of computer games doesn't make for a good education. I'd take them on age-appropriate field trips and make sure they pay attention instead of just run wild.

Hmm... I guess Justin and Jordyn since they are the two most forgotten, unloved Duggars. :(

Jordyn, in a heartbeat. That baby is so ignored. I would give her a lot of one on one attention. Talk to her all the time.

Joy!!! I just want to give that girl a hug and say "sweetie, its gonna be ok".

Poor girl looks the utter picture of misery lately.

I would say Jordyn, but she seems to be pretty popular. So I'll say Jennifer, because she is just as lost as Jordyn and needs some one on one attention.

For completely self-centered reasons, I'd be inclined to say Josiah. He reminds me of myself a lot in temperament (even in his bygone smug days, if I'm honest) so I guess it's more distressing to think of him in a life that so obviously doesn't fit -- especially in light of recent events. On the other hand, it looks like he's developed a Kool-aid allergy, so unless they find a way to forcibly inject it I could really see him getting out on his own anyway. (I tend to think of him as part of a Josiah-Joy set, mostly 'cause they're my favourites, so I guess mentally I'm freeing Joy, too, and she can wear all of the pants she wants and have a real adolescence and would never be expected to raise a younger sibling and might escape into her twenties without too many grey hairs.)

I'd feel pretty morally obligated to take Josie, though, if they had a Duggar give-away (I smell a promotion opportunity!). I don't believe for a second she's getting the care she needs, and I'm all on my own and living on student loans and I'd sure as hell give her all the attention I could manage, and then some.

I have a soft spot for the neglected Jordyn, as well. She's young enough that with proper care and love, she might just have something like a normal life.

Um...can't we just take them all?

Either Joy or Josiah.

Joy just looks utterly miserable, and I feel terrible for her. How happy would she be if she was allowed to do what other girls her age do? She'd be able to wear pants, play sports, and hang out with friends.

Josiah because it feels as if he's repressed. They're going to force him into a fundie "manly" mold, and it just looks like he's going to be terribly unhappy that way.

I would totally take Joy. My 12-year-old daughter wants a sister, and it ain't gonna happen unless a Duggar girl comes up for adoption. My child has jeans and makeup and I-pods a-plenty to share, and a huge bedroom with plenty of closet space; so come on over, Joy. You're welcome anytime.

Oh god.

It'd be a serious toss up.

Jill because despite her apparent drinking of the Kool-Aid, she's so sweet and really lovely. If she just got out and was allowed to see the world, I'd love to see that girl blossom.

Josiah, because he's obviously among the more intelligent and seems to be the new Sin in the Camp. Rescue him before they send him to "camp."

Joy because I see how miserable she is and that she's bright, and that her spark for life seems to be fading fast.

Johannah because... well, she's Johannah!

and Jennifer and Jordyn because they clearly need help. Big time.

If I had to choose one I'd say Joy. She needs help and there's still time for her. I know it's dumb to be upset over someone I've never met, but I know that look she has about her and it's actually bothering me in a way I didn't expect. She really, really needs an out.

Josiah is a boy, so he probably has a better chance of getting out on his own.

Jill is a legal adult and might or might not be a lost cause, but her decisions have to be her own.

Johannah, Jenny and Jordyn are at the younger end of the family and their neglect might actually work in their favour. The J'Slaves don't seem as heavy on the indoctrination as Jichelle and Dim Bulb, and those two have clearly checked out, so they probably won't get dosed with as much of the Kool Aid as Jed/Jer on up did. It seems like Joy on up got it really bad, but even Joy and Josiah are less fundieish than Smuggar thru Joseph. The Howlers don't seem as into it as the older kids were at the same age, and I suspect that maybe halfway thru the Howlers, they'll barely grow up fundie-lite. They'll all have a reasonably good chance of escaping, or maybe not even having to escape, they may be allowed to just walk away peacefully.

All of them. If I HAD to choose,it would be Jordyn or Jinger. Jordyn for obvious reasons. And Jinger because I think,out of the J'slaves she has the most potential and determination to follow whatever path in life she truly wants to.

Archived