IGNORED

Catfish (Facebook Documentary)

Angri-la

My first QFoWD post! I cannot believe I haven't been to the basement before; love the decor!

I checked to see if any threads for this were created, and could not find one. I recently caught this on DVD, after watching (maybe 20/20?) a show about it. I was fascinated, and wanted to see the film. It did not disappoint, but I am on the fence about its veracity. It really broke my naivete about people on the internet, and confirmed my suspicion that at least 1/4th of FB profiles are fake. Having had my photos stolen and used for a fake profile, I suppose I took it more personally than the average viewer.

I wish they would have gone more into WHY Angela did it. I can't decide if I believe Neve had no clue, that he so desperately wanted to believe that Megan existed and was in love with him. I've seen friends sucked in by men over the internet- one fell in love with someone who was supposed to be a 28 year old musician (he had videos and photos of the same person, so she had no reason to doubt him), and ended up being a 44 year old married man with kids. He actually met her and tried to talk her into believing that they were really in love, and the fact that he completely lied to her should not matter.

So, has anyone else watched this and had a strong reaction?

I saw it and I ended up feeling sad. I felt sad for Neve for the same reasons you mentioned, but I also felt sad for the woman (I forget her name). What she did was stupid and pathetic, but it seemed to come from a longing to escape a life that she felt she couldn't leave. Here she is in a small town, married to a guy who doesn't seem to be the swiftest horse in the race,and caring for his two developmentally disabled children. She had a small talent for painting that she never got to develop fully and here is a chance on the Internet to get it out to other people. She feels so insecure about herself that she has to pretend her art is done by a child. This hip young guy falls in love with her fake profile and blammo! Yeah, it's emotional adultery, but it was never supposed to play out in real life.

The portrait she painted of Neve was actually pretty good and she really got the sadness in his eyes.

I love your site name. Interesting review. I should have been a drag queen instead of a woman on the internet. Maybe I will get a FB after all!

I kid, mostly. It is just so crazy, to me, how involved it all was. Buying a horse farm @work 19 was out there for me.

Had surprising emathy for Angela. I expected to hate her, but found myself pitying her. Nev was just gross enough that I didn't feel sorry for him, but, then, I think he cut himself unflatteringly to add to the "realism". My thought is that it was to Documentaries as reality shows are to things like Theto Louds in thea 70s, and the "Up" series. I believe it weas embellished, and pparts were reshot, but it sucked me in.

I saw Catfish this past summer. I felt bad for Angela more than Neve. I agree with Discobiscuit, she seems to want to escape her life.

What Angela did was wrong, but it is obvious this is a truly disturbed woman who was completely overwhelmed by her life.

And there was something about Neve and his brother and friend that I found kind of offputting. They seemed rather smug and entitled.

However, I do think this premise would make a really great fictional film.

What Angela did was wrong, but it is obvious this is a truly disturbed woman who was completely overwhelmed by her life.

And there was something about Neve and his brother and friend that I found kind of offputting. They seemed rather smug and entitled.

However, I do think this premise would make a really great fictional film.

I also found Neve to be smug and that is probaby I didn't sympathize with him a lot.

Archived