IGNORED

Photo of brave women from Pearl Harbor

easternabeille

At least one is African American and one or two are Pacific Islanders. Anyone who says racial diversity in history books is "politically correct" is nuts. People of all races and religions built our country in it's most critical periods.

If you're referring to the woman in the front as being African American, I can tell you that she's definitely a very Hawaiian looking woman (I'm part-Hawaiian and born and raised in Hawaii). She's probably full or almost full Hawaiian. There's a misconception that because so many Hawaiians are also of Asian descent, that full-blooded Hawaiians have Asian features. Full-blooded Hawaiians tend to be quite dark-skinned, with facial features that I imagine appear African to some people, and they also tend to have quite coarse hair. The other two women whose faces are shown are definitely of Asian descent, but may be part Hawaiian. People in Hawaii tend to be very mixed, and it's often difficult to tell what background someone is from just by looking at them.

This picture makes me very proud, as a woman and as a Hawaiian. A bunch of people I went to high school with are posting it on facebook to see if anybody can identify any of the women in the photos, and it's really sweet to see how much respect they all have for these women.

I know that the attack on Pearl Harbor is part of US History, and ultimately world history as a whole, but having grandparents who lived in Hawaii during that time, and having grown up hearing their stories, it really feels like a part of Hawaiian history and is very close to my heart. Also, the neighborhood I grew up in was almost entirely made up of Japanese-American 442nd Infantry veterans from WWII and their families, and I'm incredibly proud of those veterans. I also feel the need to point out that these women have more balls than Dougie's most fantastical wet dreams. :)

My book order from Amazon came today. I now have We Band of Angels by Elizabeth M. Norman: Song of Survival Women Interned by Helen Colijn: All But My Life, A Memoire by Gerda Weissmann Klein: The Flamboya Tree by Clara Olink Kelly: and My Faraway Home by Mary McKay Maynard.

Now I have to decide which to read first.

I know fundies always like to talk about the 'good old days' when women were women and knew their place was in the home and men folk did all the hard work despite so much evidence against this belief. Anyway I was browsing MSNBC when I saw this photo of a group of brave women fighting a fire directly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... arl-harbor

Thanks for posting this! Last Saturday I had the privilege of hearing one of the army flight nurses talk about her experiences evacuating wounded soldiers back to England from Normandy three days after the D-Day invasion. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know that the army had flight nurses during WWII before she gave her talk. She said that it wasn't a job for someone who thought that nurses walked around in sparkling clean white uniforms-for them it was a combat helmet and *gasp* pants. It makes me sick that Dougie has pranced around Europe wearing fake medals and women who actually earned the medals they were awarded aren't getting the recognition they deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing that this is a photo of a fire drill doesn't diminish my respect for these women or my contempt for Doug "Dress-Up" Phillips. They are training to put their own lives in danger to save other people from a disaster that they fully expect to happen soon. Phillips just plays with plastic swords and pretends that a luxury cruise is a wilderness expedition.

Knowing that this is a photo of a fire drill doesn't diminish my respect for these women or my contempt for Doug "Dress-Up" Phillips. They are training to put their own lives in danger to save other people from a disaster that they fully expect to happen soon. Phillips just plays with plastic swords and pretends that a luxury cruise is a wilderness expedition.

It doesn't diminish my respect either. I feel the same as you about Dougie.

Archived