IGNORED

Do some fundie bloggers pose as their own readers?

ThisOlGirl

So I went to check out Fish With Trish (sworn enemy of Muslims, cleavage, and natural-looking highlights) to see what kind of crazy she was gettin' up to. One of her posts was titled "Missionary Dating. Is it Okay?" I started to read it, thinking it was about actual Missionaries dating each other. It was not. A Christian woman emailed Trish asking for advice about a relationship she was having with a Muslim man. Here is the email:

I'm dating this Muslim guy, and after my ex's, which have been Muslim too, I thought I would never date another. I know what I want in my future husband and to have him believe and practice my faith as well. He is completely an awesome guy and I do love him. NOTHING like my past relationships. Ive made it clear I WILL NOT MARRY anyone who isn't Christian. So he's told me he loves me as well and would love to learn, look into Christianity and has been doing research on his own as well. Def. would love to bring him to services with me....Ive also questioned his converting.. if that's what he chooses, I would not want it to be because of me solely and that he would want to on his own. I know he cant get to heaven though ME! My question. Do I wait? Or know this will end terribly and end it now? I'm just so confused and thought I could come to you for some advice!

Of course Trish's advice was to leave the ebil Muslim, but still try to convert him. She told the woman that you cannot date someone in the hope that they will convert, which is what she apparently calls "Missionary Dating". My initial reaction was to jump on Trish for being...well, Trish. But I re-read the email, and a couple things don't make sense. Why would a person continue to date someone and even fall in love with someone they were so dead set against marrying? You would think that once she found out the guy was a Muslim, she'd break things off. Also, if the author of the email is really a reader of Trish's, she had to know what the answer would be, right? The email just makes no sense to me, and I started to wonder if maybe Trish herself wrote both the question and the answer.

So, all that being said, do you think that fundie bloggers sometimes pose as their own readers so they have a reason to bring a certain subject up? Or maybe they do it as kind of a "hey look, people are coming to me for advice, I'm super special" type thing. I've suspected this going on with a couple blogs (like the Stinking Housewife). Has anyone else thought this, or am I just turning into a wild-eyed conspiracy theorist?

Absolutely no one is asking Trish ("Uh Oh! You can not haz boobies!") for advice. Especially not in the matter of highlighting hair. (/snark)

srsly, though, I think she wrote that. Cuz what fundie girl is dating a long string of Muslims?

I think there are a ton of bloggers (of any religion/no religion) who post comments on their own blogs posing as a 'reader'.

So I went to check out Fish With Trish (sworn enemy of Muslims, cleavage, and natural-looking highlights) to see what kind of crazy she was gettin' up to. One of her posts was titled "Missionary Dating. Is it Okay?" I started to read it, thinking it was about actual Missionaries dating each other. It was not. A Christian woman emailed Trish asking for advice about a relationship she was having with a Muslim man. Here is the email:

Of course Trish's advice was to leave the ebil Muslim, but still try to convert him. She told the woman that you cannot date someone in the hope that they will convert, which is what she apparently calls "Missionary Dating". My initial reaction was to jump on Trish for being...well, Trish. But I re-read the email, and a couple things don't make sense. Why would a person continue to date someone and even fall in love with someone they were so dead set against marrying? You would think that once she found out the guy was a Muslim, she'd break things off. Also, if the author of the email is really a reader of Trish's, she had to know what the answer would be, right? The email just makes no sense to me, and I started to wonder if maybe Trish herself wrote both the question and the answer.

So, all that being said, do you think that fundie bloggers sometimes pose as their own readers so they have a reason to bring a certain subject up? Or maybe they do it as kind of a "hey look, people are coming to me for advice, I'm super special" type thing. I've suspected this going on with a couple blogs (like the Stinking Housewife). Has anyone else thought this, or am I just turning into a wild-eyed conspiracy theorist?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a spurious comment, but I have heard of fundies dating non-Christians with the whole "magic Jesus will provide a conversion!" mentality.

A lot of the NON-Thinking Housewife's commenters writing styles are very similar to Laura/Laurence's.

I was just going to say this. The NTH almost certainly poses as her own readers. S/he has such a distinctive writing style, and doesn't even bother to disguise it in the comments.

Frankly, I always suspected that of Dear Abby, too. Sometimes "readers' questions" are just so convenient given whatever soapbox the advice columnist wants to go off on.

Archived