IGNORED

8 Year Old vs Bachmann - gay rights

Visionoyahweh

Poor kid, you could tell he was getting cold feet. :( But he was the perfect one to say that. The look on Bachmann's face is priceless. And "Bah-Bye!" gtfo heathen child!

I've got no love for Michelle "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann, and Elijah is totally right. I have to say though, this video made me a little uncomfortable. I don't know if it was originally the kid's idea or the mom's, but he did seem to get cold feet about the whole thing, and it kind of seemed like mom (or whoever was behind the camera) had to push him to do it. I would have had no problem with a teenager walking up to Bachmann and saying "Hey crazy lady, my moms aren't broken". I don't know--I generally am not comfortable with people using young children to spout their politics/religion/opinions/whatever, and that's kind of what this video looked like to me.

Edited because I figured out what "Little Man's" name actually is.

I kind of thought the same thing. It's like forcing little kids to picket abortion clinics. I'm hoping it was his idea, and he just needed some reassurance to get it out. I doubt she's the first bigot he's had to defend mommy to.

You know, I thought about the bit of pressure/coersion on the mom's part. After watching the video a few times, I decided that the child was no more coerced than kids are to remember to say, "please" or "thank you" or recite a small poem or prayer.

The child did get a little bit shy at the last minute, but he was not unduly stressed or pushed.

I'm a conservative and I have no love for Michelle Bachman, but using your kid to pimp your politics is stupid. I'm sure the kid loves his moms and thinks they are perfect, but I guarantee he has NO IDEA who Michelle Bachman is and would never had said that to her if he was not prompted to by an adult.

edited for grammar

I've got no love for Michelle "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann, and Elijah is totally right. I have to say though, this video made me a little uncomfortable. I don't know if it was originally the kid's idea or the mom's, but he did seem to get cold feet about the whole thing, and it kind of seemed like mom (or whoever was behind the camera) had to push him to do it. I would have had no problem with a teenager walking up to Bachmann and saying "Hey crazy lady, my moms aren't broken". I don't know--I generally am not comfortable with people using young children to spout their politics/religion/opinions/whatever, and that's kind of what this video looked like to me.

I too thought the child was coerced by the woman with him to say it, he had been coached. This is not OK, no matter what the cause.

Totally agree. This battle must be fought...but by adults, not children

chicagonow.com/whats-a-boy-to-do/2011/12/michelle-bachman-and-the-young-activist/

The person who recorded the video commented on this blog post, and explained the situation.

I was the person that recorded this; the mom uploaded.

Sexuality is only political because ignorant people have made it so. To some people, it's a political stance-- to his mom, and him, it's a part of his life. He loves his mom and her partner.

Back to the story-- I was standing in line with Elijah and his mom. His mom was going to say something to her, but she got nervous and told me she wanted to leave. We were about to step out of the line but Elijah cried out, "Nooo!" He grabbed onto her coat and pulled her back in the line, saying he wanted to talk to her.

When we got up to Michele, he got a little stage fright. His mom just didn't want him to not say it because he was afraid, because she knew he would regret it if he didn't. I used to do ballet as a child, and before performances, I'd want to no do it-- my mom pushed me to perform. Afterwards, I'd run to her and tell her how happy I was. How is this any different? If we were shown a video of a child before a school play, or a recital, being pushed to perform and not give into stage fright, would we get the same reaction? My gut says no.

Edited for riffles.

I thought that child was totally pushed into it, and the two of them were practically running away after he managed to get it out. I don't support Michele Bachmann, but I think her look was more shock at that mother's behaviour than anything else. She recovered her composure and said goodby as they walked off. Right or wrong, it is really not classy to use a child to say something that you clearly don't have the guts to say for yourself.

How aprapos that she's doing an event at a bookstore, sometimes I think she's mostly in the race to make more money off her her books. Actaully it's kind of a pet theory of mine that half the GOP candidates were running not because they wanted to be President but because it would raise their profile more and earn them more money on their books, speaker's fee's, Fox appearences, etc. The GOP machine is very very profitable to those who know how to game the system)

I too thought the child was coerced by the woman with him to say it, he had been coached. This is not OK, no matter what the cause.

I felt the same way. Some kids do follow politics from an early age and obviously this is an issue that directly affects this little boy and his family. But still, it looked like he was coached and that he didn't want to do it. The moms should have gone up and told Bachmann off themselves; they don't need an 8-year-old to fight their battles for them.

Archived