IGNORED

Fundies and makeup

AnnoDomini

I rarely bother either. Nine times out of ten (or more) I go out without a drop or swipe of makeup, not even foundation. I like the way I look just fine.

My sister wants to have her nails done though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not wear make up for men/others, but to live up to my own standards of how I want to look. It is no burden on me, on the contrary, I like to sit down and apply mascara etc.

If I don't want it any given day, I leave it.

I'm deciding to pretty much wing it with Sevy. Right now she only likes nail polish, and at 5, it seems perfectly appropriate. Beyond that, we'll make it up as we go. I doubt we'll really have any issues, since nail polish and the color pink is as girly as she gets. We'll find out more down the road, I'm pretty certain about that. :)

I agree with a poster up there- if my biggest worry is makeup i pretty much need to go get a life. Something like that, too lazy to go look :-P

And thanks for the FYI about the kool-aid. Never knew about it, but might consider that if Sevy wants purple hair.... haha.

The other side of it probably relates to how people behave when they feel better about themselves. If you wear a bit of makeup and you have more confidence in yourself, it will show. They probably don't like that either.

It is sad because they take the verses that talk about how empty vanity is and how it is impossible to change what's on the inside by what goes on the outside, and they misconstrue it to mean the opposite of what is intended. Paul talks about not adorning oneself because it becomes an impediment to worship, but it doesn't mean that you should not groom yourself. The focus in those verses is all about what is on the inside, and they focus on what' seen on the outside.

It's also a mechanism of control and moralism -- one up manship. I'm better than that sinful, painted up Jezzie over there, so I can feel better about myself. Seems to me that there's a parable that corresponds with that.

:roll:

I wear makeup most of the time, but that's just because I like it--playing with colors and such is fun! Also, I have very pale skin and all winter I have sinus issues which manifest themselves on the surface as a pale bruise on the bridge of my nose and dark smudges under my eyes, so I prefer to cover those things. Except for today, which I'm spending preparing for a final this evening and makeup's just not worth the time

I didn't start wearing makeup until I was probably 16--went from being homeschooled to private school and had to wear a uniform, so makeup was one way I could be more of an individual, KWIM?And I realized I liked spending the time doing something for myself, so I kept wearing it. However, I wear very little in the summer as I live in a city that's hot and humid as Hades, so makeup just melts off, which looks just lovely.

I was never allowed to wear makeup growing up and now I still don't wear it. I would rather read for an extra 5 minutes or sleep in an extra 5 minutes than spend it doing my face in the morning. Too each their own. My sister started wearing make up when she left the house and she is now the resident make up doer when I have something special I need to go to.

It does make me angry that the Duggars talk about Countenance and then they have their fake tans and dolled up face and hair.

Candy from "joyfulchristianhomamaking" or whatever she calls herself these days does use make up, but I think she hardly qualifies as fundie in the strict sense. She stated it in her routines she used to post, but I couldn't find it right now after her most recent flounce and return.

I know Gothardism has at least rules about make up, if he doesn't forbid it altogether.

At least one poster at feelinfeminine thinks nailspolish is of pagan origin and so christian girls shouldn't wear it.

http://feelinfeminine.com/?p=4010

Oh, Jesus, I am going to paint my nails black just because of this triffleing bitch! :twisted: I'm one of those evil harlots who wears dark makeup - lots of black eyeliner and mascara, and purple or blue or grey eye shadow.

Anno, your sister has control issues, I think! I don't want make up to become an issue with my daughter....she is 6 and she paints her nails and toes, wears clear lipgloss, and on halloween I do her eyes (mascara and shadow). When she was 5 she was "Alice in Wonderland" and I put blue eye shadow on her! she looked adorable. Hell, sometimes I do her make up because we are bored, haha. Wearing makeup never hurt my self asteem, it does the opposite....if I didn't sleep enough, or I have a blemish, or whatever I can make myself look nice, hell, nothing makes me feel better when I'm down than buying a new, bright nail polish!

You know, I think the whole idea of being natural and not wearing makeup is fine--if it's your choice. One of the things you're supposed to do as a teenager is figure out what YOU like and how you want to present yourself. So, I'd think that some experimentation with appearance (hair dye, polish, makeup) is a good thing.

That's actually one of the things I think my mom did right--eventually. After some initial crap (I was allowed to wear lipstick when I wore a skirt, as a bribe), at age 14 she was like "You can wear whatever you want, but I reserve the right to make you wash your face." She never actually did though--granted, I never really did anything extreme.

my mom did similarly...like i said before, i wasn't allowed to wear make up, shave, or get my ears pierced, until the magical age of 12...

but during my teen years, she was incredibly supportive of my weird phases. i doubt she would have let me out of the house in a courtney stodden dress, but she was very tolerant of strange hair, punky salvation army clothes, etc.

Control issues. Hmm. I never thought of it that way, but you may be right. It's like, I played with Barbies and turned out fine. One thing or another doesn't guarantee a certain outcome and we can't protect them from everything and being too strict can lead to negative consequences.

Like it or not, women are held to a higher standard in our society, especially in the workplace. It's just one of many double standards that we face. For many women, wearing make-up can subtly affect how people treat them and how they are judged at work. It's fantastic to throw off the shackles and just go without make-up regardless of the consequences, but we all have to pick our battles and the make-up thing is pretty low on the priority list for a lot of women. Women get judged harshly no matter what, so I can't blame a woman for trying to slightly reduce that judgment by wearing make-up.

I actually have extremely dark eye circles. People have actually asked me if I had black eyes, and once it happened even though I was wearing make-up. If I were a man, it would probably be less noticeable because people just aren't as used to seeing men with perfectly even skin tones. So I wear make-up, but that's not the only reason and I really don't have to justify it. I never judge any woman for wearing make-up or not wearing it. There's too much judgment on women already, and I refuse to contribute to that.

As for Muslim women wearing make-up or getting nails done, I don't see how it's any different than me doing the same thing. There are certain parts of my body that I always cover up in public, but that doesn't mean I don't want anyone to ever notice me. So just as I cover my butt and chest, some women also cover their hair. It's not an all-or-nothing issue. Everyone is comfortable with varying amounts of attention.

I just love make-up. I love beauty products in general. I like the way *I* feel when I know my hair looks silky and my make-up (I LOVE mineral make-up) looks natural.

Just as with my wardrobe choices, I have a certain style that I express for my own sake. I don't think of impressing anyone when I'm in the mirror with my kabuki brush. Well, no one except me. The only man I love sees me every day without make-up and he loves the way I look. But even if he didn't, that would be his problem.

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to wear make-up, but I also don't think that wearing some make-up or caring about one's appearance should be viewed as anti-feminist.

I have older sisters, so I had nail polish lying around the house my entire life and I've never considered an "adult" product - my sister would paint my toes, etc. I had my own pink Tinkerbell nail polish when I was about nine. I had my ears pierced when I seven, but they got infected and closed and I've never repierced them since. I started shaving my legs when I was eleven, which was also the year I started menstruating, so I'd say it was a reasonable time to start. There weren't specific rules in the house about makeup, but I wasn't much interested in it before junior high (note to parents: my stepfather always used to say when I was little that some people need to wear makeup to look good, but I had the kind of face where I didn't need makeup. Whether or not it was true, somewhere I believed it, and maybe on some level it influenced my minimal approach to makeup even today). For Christmas, when I was twelve and in seventh grade, one of my older sisters got me my first batch of my own makeup - a neutral, understated lipstick, brownish eyeshadow palate, clear mascara, etc, all CoverGirl. I felt very "grown-up."

However, I grew up in the South, and makeup tended to melt off my face. Now that I live up North, I wear a little foundation to even out my pink cheeks and cover up my allergy-induced dark circles - but mostly because my skin is more dry up here, and makeup is one extra level of protection. However, I married a guy who also insists I don't need makeup (I swear I have zero fundie background, this is just a weird coincidence) so I only wear it when *I* feel like it - I don't feel like I need it to "have my face on" or that I'm only pretty or human when I'm wearing it.

OH! One tiny exception: earlier this year, I got a pixie haircut, which I love. I don't plan on growing my hair out any time soon. However, since I got the haircut, I find that I prefer wearing more eyeliner, almost to balance out the Peter Pan-look of the hair, if that makes any sense. I only put on the eyeliner when I go out in public, though; I don't really think about it when I'm just hanging out at home.

Am I the only adult who doesn't usually wear makeup of her own free will? What's wrong with the way a woman naturally looks? If men don't have to wear makeup for me why should I wear it for them? I'll wear makeup if I have a job interview, but that's about it. My daughter will likely not want to wear makeup because it'll take her a loooong time to figure out what it is.

Seriously... this is what a woman looks like. If someone doesn't like it, then maybe they don't like women. Fuck makeup.

Wow, ok....to start, I don't wear makeup "for men". I wear it for me, because I like it (I also only ever wear eye makeup and colored lip gloss, I don't like the feel or foundation and bad girls never wear blush). Does my hubby like the way I look with my eyes all made up? Yes, he does. The first time he met me I had my eyes made up, I even wore mascara and eyeliner to my c-sections! I always wear it. It makes me happy and I feel pretty, I use makeup to enhance what I have already (I don't cover up anything...I have dark circles under my eyes and I love them). Why wear clothes that flatter? Why not just wear potato sack clothes? Why do your hair? It's all the same as wearing makeup. No one has to wear it, but a lot of us certainly love it!

Oh, and yes, my hubby wears makeup sometimes....he looks really hot with eyeliner on!

I only wear makeup to enhance my natural features, and it prevents people from calling me "sir" accidentally because I have hair that's shoulder length at the longest. At the very least, I don't leave the house without mineral foundation, lipstick and eye makeup. I work around food, so I'm not allowed to wear polish on my fingernails, but my toenails are always painted bright colors as it makes me feel feminine.

I agree with the last few posters--it's for me. I love presenting myself the way I choose. I am also a pale-skinned blonde with a short haircut, so makeup means it's not the whole androgynous polar bear in a snowstorm... ;) (Well, once they got past the collarbone, the whole androgyny thing goes out the window because BOOBS.) I feel confident and in control when I have a more even skin tone, defined eyes, long, lush lashes and great lipstick on. Also, earrings and a scarf!

When I was in about 3rd or 4th grade, my mom encouraged me to wear it, and actually acted disappointed if I didn't. :( I don't like that she did that, but I don't think it scarred me.

I do make a point to tell my 4 year old that Mommy wears makeup because I want to look more like her--which is true. She is gorgeous. Red lips, rosy cheeks, dark, thick lashes. Both my girls hit the genetic lottery.

I let her paint her nails, but mostly because it's mom/daughter time and also I usually do it when I put her on the potty. She hates sitting there, but she's not a quick pooper, so anything I can do to make her sit still is good. Sally Hansen makes a fabulous quick dry polish, and I use those a lot. Her brush is amazing--one swipe covers most of my nails! She tends to like purples and pinks, while I'm a fan of red or my newest obsession, cobalt blue.

my skin tone is uneven, and i just don't like the way it looks without makeup. if i'm not planning on going out, i might not do my makeup, but most of the time i do because it just makes me feel better. i actually don't put on much makeup most of the time - foundation, eyeliner, mascara, and cherry chapstick - but just that little bit makes me feel good about myself.

oh, and i never have to curl my eyelashes or use very much mascara, because i have the elizabeth taylor gene...for those that don't get that reference, that means i have the same genetic quirk that elizabeth taylor had that gives me two rows of eyelashes. that just means less effort on my part!

though i must say i do like experimenting with makeup sometimes. a friend of mine used to do a makeup blog so i pestered her with questions about different things. :P i wish it was still up and i could share it with you, but when she realized she didn't have much time for blogging she took it down.

now when it comes to hair, i LOVE to experiment. i've had just about every style under the sun and i've dyed it all kinds of colors :P i had to wait until i moved out to dye it unnatural colors, though, my parents were still strict enough to not allow that at that time. now, though, they don't care.

eta: i'm now a homeskool hero!

CynicMom, I feel the same as you, but we're obviously in the minority on this issue. A couple weeks ago I went to a wedding. I decided to girlify myself and wear makeup, a dress, and I was even going to buy heels. I know I'm picky about comfort, so I went to a nice store with shoes that are marketed specifically for women who want comfortable shoes. I tried on every pair of black heels, and they were all different levels of uncomfortable. I found one that seemed the least miserable and unhappily held onto them. I knew my husband needed shoes too, and he hates shopping, so I decided to pick out a pair for him. His feet are about half a size larger than mine, so I tried on men's shoes and looked for ones with a little wiggle room. Those nice dress shoes were so supportive, and they felt like standing on a cloud after all those heels I'd had on. I started to get mad at our society. Even when dressing up men are expected to wear clothes that cover their bodies and are comfortable. Suits are flattering to the figure even if you have a little pudge. You don't have to constantly adjust a suit or wear supportive undergarments to hold their figures in just the right way. Nobody expects men to have colors on their faces or their nails. Stepping into those wonderfully comfortable men's shoes pissed me off. I put the heels back, and found a pair of flats. I still wore makeup and my dress because I'm not as much of a nonconformist as I think I am.

To those of you who enjoy makeup and heels and underwire bras, I don't understand it, but I'm happy for you. You can fit in better than I do. I wish people didn't judge women who aren't interested in makeup so harshly. Nobody talks about Christopher Maxwell looking washed out at his wedding. You can say there is a well known double standard and we should face the reality of it. I get your point, but I don't think progressive women should encourage the double standard with their criticism.

To those of you who enjoy makeup and heels and underwire bras, I don't understand it, but I'm happy for you.

funny, when i was tiny and had small boobs [like a/b cup] underwires didn't bother me at all. but now with this weight on and my boobs now being dd's, underwires are soooooo uncomfortable. one time it got so uncomfortable i ended up tucking up my shirt underneath the bottom of them [i was wearing a cardigan over the shirt and it was snapped closed in the front so you couldn't see it].

I *love* my high heels, underwires, and makeup!!

I guess to me, those things give me control over how I look. Back in fundie days when I wore prairie dresses and a ratty ponytail, I felt ugly and miserable. I hated myself - but at the same time, I thought "good" women looked plain. If you were blessed with good genes, you were lucky enough to look decent in a frumper.

Anyway, I like being able to control how I present myself to the world. I like looking down at my feet and seeing cute shoes, looking in the mirror and seeing skin that looks somewhat even, etc etc. It's just a personal preference for me. And I have to say, it feels wonderful to *choose* what I'm going to look like, rather than trying to follow a certain narrow model.

As to the underwires...I'm a 36G, and underwires are pretty much the only thing that keeps me from having massively sore boobs at the end of the day. Underwires aren't supposed to hurt!!! If they do, you most likely have the wrong size bra.

But, I realize that not all women have the same style preferences that I do, and that's ok!

(and I do share the frustration about men's clothes. What to pudgy men get? An "executive cut" suit. What do pudgy women get? Ugly oversized polyester blouses. Ugh. Anyway...)

I've fluctuated between both extremes. Growing up I was a bit of a tomboy and my mom didn't wear any makeup (ex-hippy that she is :)) so I never thought to wear any. I think I was also arrogantly afraid of being mistaken for one of those girls I considered shallow and insecure because she hid behind a mask of paint. Then I discovered that foundation helped to mask the embarrassing redness on my face (mild case of rosacea). It gave me so much more confidence, and I slowly started wearing more and more.

I didn't realize how dependent on makeup I had become for my self-confidence until I had eye surgery and had to stop wearing it for a few weeks. At first I was miserable and self conscious but then I realized how much time I saved in the morning and once my eyes healed I didn't want to bother anymore. Now I just wear it for special occasions.

I've felt frustrated at the expectations put on women to look a certain way, but I decided that I'm just thankful *I* get to choose - I can elect to wear makeup or go bare-faced, I can put on ridiculous heels or walk around barefoot. No matter what other people may think, they can't do anything about it.

I'm not into heels. I just find them uncomfortable for the most part. I have a couple of pairs of shoes with a relatively low heel (1-1 1/2") that are dressy enough for special occasions. I also don't like anything that I have to squeeze my toes into, so nothing too pointy is ever going to happen. BTDT

My BFF, however, luvs heels. I mean heels that would scare the bejeebus out of me. She is under five feet tall, though, and an otherwise very confident person except a little bit not-so-much with the height thing. It has nothing to do with attracting men, but she just does not like being so petite. It is her experience that people don't tend to take her as seriously (which if so, they do at their own peril, knowing her - lol) as a taller person. I think she is fine just the way she is, but I don't live inside her head.

I am 5'5" so a very average height for a woman. I don't feel any need to be taller. My husband and sons are all significantly taller than me, but I am tall as a lot of men I know, or almost as tall. I am as tall as my boss, for instance.

I think everyone, man or woman, should do whatever makes them feel the best about themselves. I don't think it's strange to not wear make-up or color your hair (for women of a certain age) or wear heels or anything else that society/the media tend to push onto us.

I *love* my high heels, underwires, and makeup!!

As to the underwires...I'm a 36G, and underwires are pretty much the only thing that keeps me from having massively sore boobs at the end of the day. Underwires aren't supposed to hurt!!! If they do, you most likely have the wrong size bra.

Underwires are evil? I must be damned and doomed then.

I don't own makeup and I don't know how to use it well at all. In high school I did garishly bright eye shadow colors (flamingo pink, neon blue, neon purple, etc.) but I outgrew that pretty quickly, fortunately. I can't stand ANYTHING on my lips (even chapstick) so lipstick or gloss are out and even the stupidly expensive foundation gives me pimples, so I obviously don't bother with that either. Oh and when I wear mascara, I get dots above my eyes because my eyelashes are so long. Heh.

As for underwires... Uchhhh. Even when I got sized for bras I could never stand the wires. I -always- feel them on my ribs, so I just buy wireless ones. And high heels? Forget about it. I can walk in them and manage to be comfortable, but I'm giant in them! Unless I want to try to pass for a runway model or some sort of Amazon woman I stick to my Birkenstocks. :)

Underwires are evil? I must be damned and doomed then.

They definitely are evil when you put up your hand in class and one breaks through the fabric and spears you in the nipple... :cry:

Archived