IGNORED

Fundies and makeup

AnnoDomini

The subject of fundies' relationship to makeup seems to not have been discussed much here. The variety of attitudes, from 'makeup is ungodly' to 'make yourself up/fix your hair to look godly'.

My older sister doesn't want my 9 year old sister wearing nail polish (though more for 'self-esteem' issues than fundy).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many fundies draw a distinction between using just enough to enhance your countenance, and drawing attention (ono!). I think all but the most hardline are pragmatic when it comes to attracting a source of income in the form of a husband.

ETA: I disagree with your older sister. I loved crazy nail polish growing up, it was a relatively safe way of expressing myself that my otherwise fairly strict parents tolerated.

How is nail polish going to affect her self esteem? I have never heard this. tbh, I am ready lenient regarding makeup, multicolored hair and such. I figure if a 9 year old feels 'cool' with blue nails and lip gloss, whatever.

Something about how young girls are unsure of who they are and their place and their identities separate from family, and letting them do anything with any kind of makeup as part of figuring things out will teach her to put her sense of self into superficial things. Or something. There's a definite point to that (my mother didn't let me wear non-polish makeup til I was 15), but no nail polish seems to be going too far.

UPC Pentecostals don't wear any make up at all, not even foundation. Of course, they have a lot of rules for dress for men and women, way beyond what the average "fundie" might believe.

It's very strange because the UPC is totally fine with women working outside the home, kids going to public school ect, but they are probably the most restrictive when it comes to dress.

Candy from "joyfulchristianhomamaking" or whatever she calls herself these days does use make up, but I think she hardly qualifies as fundie in the strict sense. She stated it in her routines she used to post, but I couldn't find it right now after her most recent flounce and return.

I know Gothardism has at least rules about make up, if he doesn't forbid it altogether.

At least one poster at feelinfeminine thinks nailspolish is of pagan origin and so christian girls shouldn't wear it.

http://feelinfeminine.com/?p=4010

I don't understand the point of dressing modestly if you're going to wear a lot of makeup. J'chelle and the J'Slaves are often shown wearing full makeup, got manicures that one time, and I'm pretty sure some of them go tanning. If it makes them happy, well whatever... but makeup highlights beauty and can cause men to think 'certain' thoughts just as much as seeing KNEES can.

I went to college with a Muslim girl who said that Muslim-Americans have the slang term "ho-jab" for women who wear the hijab but also tons of makeup. I think we need something like that for the fundies.

Anna (Marie) Maxwell took it to the extreme and was completely and utterly barefaced for her wedding. It was a shame, because she looked so washed out in photos...even just a touch of lipstick/gloss and a hint of blush would have been so amazing on her, as she is a lovely young woman.

UPC Pentecostals don't wear any make up at all, not even foundation. Of course, they have a lot of rules for dress for men and women, way beyond what the average "fundie" might believe.

It's very strange because the UPC is totally fine with women working outside the home, kids going to public school ect, but they are probably the most restrictive when it comes to dress.

There were 3 UPC girls at my high school. I used to think it was weird, because they were SO sanctimonious about not using make up or hairspray because that was ungodly and "cheap", but between EVERY single class the three of them would rush to the washroom mirrors to reapply more vaseline to their lips, and rub (I am not making this up) bounce dryer sheets across their bangs while they curled it around a pencil (apparently dryer sheets act like hairspray).

Haha, that sounds like my MIL and her sisters when they were in the church. They were also fans of getting perms that "accidently" burned off some of their hair in a shockingly even pattern.

My MIL is UPC and while they don't wear makeup, I've never seen any of them shy away from hairspray. They all seem to have the "Pentecostal Pouf." I swear as soon as those girls turn twelve, they learn how to rat their hair up in front.

Candy from "joyfulchristianhomamaking" or whatever she calls herself these days does use make up, but I think she hardly qualifies as fundie in the strict sense. She stated it in her routines she used to post, but I couldn't find it right now after her most recent flounce and return.

I know Gothardism has at least rules about make up, if he doesn't forbid it altogether.

At least one poster at feelinfeminine thinks nailspolish is of pagan origin and so christian girls shouldn't wear it.

http://feelinfeminine.com/?p=4010

Gothard doesn't forbid makeup. It's all about enhancing your countenance. The most heavily made-up girls I ever met were in high-up ATI families.

It sucks because I really want to paint my sister's nails.

So paint her nails. If your older sister has that big of a problem with it, she can remove the nail polish herself. Has your mom expressly forbid it? If not, then if your sister wants you to paint her nails, just paint her nails.

I recently saw a baby wearing nailpolish on her toenails, I think it was on the kissesfromkatie blog. I dinf that pretty pointless.

Fundies seem to be torn on make-up. Some want to look as ugly as possible, I get the impression, others want to look modest but still representable.

I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to my two thirteen year old daughters and make-up/nail polish/weird hair colours. They have both had blue, cotton candy pink, purple and cherry coloured hair (just the underneath and tips). At this age they are trying to figure out who they are and as long as they like it and it and it doesn't hurt their self-esteem then it doesn't bother me. When the colour of their nails or hair becomes on of my worries then i know it's time to get a hobby.

Good attitude. I was not allowed to dye my hair because "your daddy doesn't like it on you".

Sick.

And all I wanted were blonde highlights. When I was 14, I bought a DIY kit and just went for it. Needless to say it didn't excactly look great.

I communicated with a survivor of Hephzibah House the other day who likes to wear nail polish on her toes for which she is sorely criticized. Her reasons for wearing it? Unpainted toe nails remind her of when she was repeatedly sodomized when she was a child and apparently stared at her toes, la naturale. Having them painted gives her a sense of control and allows her to protest the memory.

Kinda off topic, but relevant. I would rejoice to see her reclaim her toes for herself instead of associating them with her abuse. But it's evil makeup, so.... not good enough for the IFB.

I would rejoice to see her reclaim her toes for herself instead of associating them with her abuse.

QFT. It's a horrible thing to have this young woman forever connect a part of her own body to the evil abuse that was done to her. I hope she can release some of the pain and get to a peaceful place about this, one day. (But, what do you want to bet that the abuse was the reason she was sent to HH? Disgusting.)

@ AD: If they won't let you use polish for your sister, you could just do a "nautral manicure" for her. I do this a lot because I type all day and get frustrated at my polish wearing away after just a couple of days. A nice warm-water soak for her hands, gently pushing the cuticles back & a good hand massage with lotion is very relaxing and she'll still feel pampered. (If you do this for yourself or any of the older sisters, you could use some olive oil mixed with sugar or salt for a natural buffing cream. I wouldn't do this for any of the little girls though 'cause it might feel a little rough on their hands.)

I wasn't allowed to wear makeup, pierce my ears, or shave my legs, or do nails until age 12.

I do think there's something lovely about letting little girls be little girls, but...i let my daughters (3 and 4) have painted toes. I won't do their fingers, but mostly because they're too little to let them dry properly and i don't want blue spangles on my sofa. Their babysitter does their fingers for them, and that's okay. It's okay to do things with other trusted adults that your momma won't let you do (within reason, of course).

That said, I don't think i'll let them wear make up anytime soon. I don't know if i'll hold out for the All-Magic-12, like i had to do, or just play it by ear.

I'm also just kind of shocked that high school girls are paying for salon color jobs. I'm not THAT old, but paying to give a teenager salon highlights just doesn't sound quite right. Use sun-in and kool aid like the rest of us!

ha. but if they want to kool aid their hair purple and orange polka dots, i'm okay with it. i just ain't paying for it.

Am I the only adult who doesn't usually wear makeup of her own free will? What's wrong with the way a woman naturally looks? If men don't have to wear makeup for me why should I wear it for them? I'll wear makeup if I have a job interview, but that's about it. My daughter will likely not want to wear makeup because it'll take her a loooong time to figure out what it is.

Seriously... this is what a woman looks like. If someone doesn't like it, then maybe they don't like women. Fuck makeup.

Archived