IGNORED

Woman spends more time with baby doll than her daughter

luckylibrarian

I will have fucking nightmares about the oven baby. Holy shit.

I think Becky has gotten a taste of what the Duggar and Bates kids go through. All babies, all the time, to hell with the older kids.

Oh, the Daily Fail. Trust it about as far as...naw, in fact, just don't trust it. ;)

This is a mum with a weird hobby (carting baby around) but not even her daughter seems traumatised by it. Wonder how much she got paid, as well.

I think I saw something like this on Discovery? Some show about freaky obsessions. I actually have a small doll collection but it's in a case. Taking the doll out in a stroller, buying it clothes, feeling more connected to it than the actual child - her poor daughter! On the show this lady took a 4 year old size doll out to be fitted for shoes. WTF??? Creeeeepy.

Cripes, that looks like a dead baby.

I had a sister who passed away as a baby, and looked exactly the same. That really gives me the heebie jeebies...if that story is even remotely true that woman needs help STAT.

Yeah I also saw the My Fake Baby or whatever documentary on these women. It was really interesting and while I think these women have mental health issues it's a lot healthier of a way to deal with constantly wanting a baby then Michelle or Kelly's tactic.

Oh yes, those "reborn" dolls freak me out. I have seen shows on women who have unnatural obsessions with them, though usually they don't have their own children (and had wanted them). It is plenty real! There is a huge market for these things.

I don't know how you can claim love or maternal feelings over what is an inanimate object that can provide no feedback, however, I can see how women who are very insecure or something could quite like the fact the "baby" will never be its own independent person with its own personality.

She talks all about wanting a partner, but having this reborn creepy doll instead as she feared she would never meet a man. If I was an intelligent, emotionally secure man looking for a partner, I would go NO WHERE near a woman who pushed a doll around in a pram and changed its nappies regularly... :roll:

I like how the woman who makes them is like "I don't understand it myself but..."

Poor Becky.

But hey, at least she is not popping out babies she does not care about once the newness wears off.

I once saw a reborn Spock. I actually had my wallet out, credit card in hand when my husband said "wtf is that, your'e not buying that are you? That's so fekking BIZZARE"

I tried to argue that that was the point but he said, no way was he gonna let me blow $450 on something just because it was delightfully creepy.

I once saw a reborn Spock. I actually had my wallet out, credit card in hand when my husband said "wtf is that, your'e not buying that are you? That's so fekking BIZZARE"

I tried to argue that that was the point but he said, no way was he gonna let me blow $450 on something just because it was delightfully creepy.

OMG...do you remember where you saw that?

Was it the one posted on Regretsy recently?

I was a big Harry Potter fan for a while, but when an online fandom friend bought a "reborn" Snape doll and started taking it out in public I did the equivalent of backing away slowly while smiling and nodding. Just...NO.

She talks all about wanting a partner, but having this reborn creepy doll instead as she feared she would never meet a man. If I was an intelligent, emotionally secure man looking for a partner, I would go NO WHERE near a woman who pushed a doll around in a pram and changed its nappies regularly...

I have a friend in the cat fancy who, while she doesn't push one of these around in a pram or change its nappies, etc, does appear to be unnaturally obsessed. I think she probably has hundreds of kits for these things, fully assembled and painted and so on, or as collections of body parts in boxes stacked ceiling high in her lounge room. She is constantly knitting or sewing exquisite and intricate little outfits for them too.

Yet, she believes that men don't want to go out with her because she has 8 cats (4 are show cats). I don't know about anyone else, but I have nightmares when I think about all those boxes crashing down in the night and scattering arms, legs, heads and eyeballs all over the place. Imagine if you were actually sleeping in the same house as all of this stuff? It's the Uncanny Valley...

Sadly, she at some point has got the idea I want one of these dolls (I never even played with dolls as a kid, and I don't have or desire children!), and she is at the moment stitching the hair on to its scalp. I think she formed this impression I must want it when she said, "Isn't this one just like B (meaning my husband)?" - and I had wanly uttered yes. God knows what I'll do with it if/when she finishes it. I had this mad idea of putting it in a baby seat in my car on a 40 degree (Celsius) day, and timing how long it takes for the police to come, but I think I'd get arrested for wasting their time.

Despite all this, my friend is a generous and sweet person, and gorgeous looking to boot, and has raise two lovely daughters. But she's a bundle of nerves (I think from a previous bad marriage). I think this kind of obsessive behaviour makes her feel better and channels her anxiety, but she has no insight as to how it might be seen by others (she also talks about these dolls constantly despite being given not encouragement by anyone at all).

I was a big Harry Potter fan for a while, but when an online fandom friend bought a "reborn" Snape doll and started taking it out in public I did the equivalent of backing away slowly while smiling and nodding. Just...NO.

You want pure nightmare fuel? Look up the "reborn" Voldemort.

It can't be canon because the books say he looked like a more or less normal kid at birth, he got creepy via later action. But the doll has the creepy blank snake eyes, it is just HORRID.

Meanwhile the line in the Daily Fail article about "...or replace dead ones" reminds me of a creepy surreal story I read (by Misaki Aki - love that guy, it's creepy) about people carting around mannequin replicas of dead relatives over a summer at the beach...

You want pure nightmare fuel? Look up the "reborn" Voldemort.

It can't be canon because the books say he looked like a more or less normal kid at birth, he got creepy via later action. But the doll has the creepy blank snake eyes, it is just HORRID.

Meanwhile the line in the Daily Fail article about "...or replace dead ones" reminds me of a creepy surreal story I read (by Misaki Aki - love that guy, it's creepy) about people carting around mannequin replicas of dead relatives over a summer at the beach...

Holy fucking shit that's terrifying. :shock:

I can totally picture Michelle waddling around with a fake, weighted belly, once menopause hits, alternating with rocking in a corner with a reborn doll.

I can totally picture Michelle waddling around with a fake, weighted belly, once menopause hits, alternating with rocking in a corner with a reborn doll.

I actually knew this creepy older couple when I was a kid. The wife would push around a baby carriage that had a plastic baby doll in it. They would walk all over town pushing this carriage around. The wife treated it like it was a real baby. They used to scare the shit out of me.

I saw that Spock reborn doll on Regretsy (love that site ) .. so bizarre ! And then of course I had to find out all about the reborn dolls and look at the articles .. because the internets is a mind sucking place of odd.

Reborns creep me the fuck out. Recently, I've seen signs around my suburb that are advertising Reborns.

I have no real issue when the people just collect them like any other collectable, even when they buy clothes and name them and stuff... it's when they take them for walks and act as if they're real that I get annoyed. I don't even really understand what annoys me so much.

I once watched a documentary about them, and there was this absolutely batshit insane woman who had a reborn made as an exact replica of her grandson Harry. She went on and on about how he's not with her any more and I thought he was dead - until she elaborated that her daughter 'took him away' to New Zealand. She clearly resents her daughter for it, and wanted the doll so that nobody could ever take him away from her again. The kid was about 6 or 7, and she showed him via webcam. He seemed a bit creeped out.

Michelle is one person who I would be happy to see carry around one of these things. At least it's not going to be passed on when it grows up and can't be damaged by religious craziness.

Archived