IGNORED

Kochava's Shabbat toothbrush

LucySnowe

http://crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.com/2011/12/no-one-likes-holier-than-thou-guy.html

A toothbrush only for Shabbat? Really?

I mean, I don't care what anyone else does, so long as they aren't poking my eye out while they do it; it's more that I wasn't raised observant enough to worry about what one could or couldn't do on Shabbat (which was good, given that the Dukes of Hazzard was my childhood tv show of choice and was on Friday night), so I don't know if an Orthodox Jew [acknowledging the many variants of that description] is actually supposed to have a separate toothbrush for use on Shabbat, or if it's just a case of wanting something dedicated to Shabbat so that using it is special, or it is actually a joke (but the tags include 'confession' and 'crazy'), or other.

(Yeah, I could leave a comment on her blog to ask, but you guys are fun to talk with.)

I'm not Jewish but I would assume she must have one of those electric/battery toothbrushes sure uses normally, but a manual toothbrush on Shabbat since turning on the electric one would be breaking the work rule.

At least she saw some humor in it.

Her FB page says her mission is to help others who are in the conversion process. She's not proselytizing AFAIK and she isn't telling others they're gonna go to Hell if they don't convert. Sofa, so good, as they say at La-Z-Boy. ;)

It's related to the type of bristles used, and the type of toothpaste.

Personally, I suspect it's also related to the desire to market a new product, since bristles don't really absorb water and are therefore perfectly kosher in scrub brushes that are used instead of sponges to clean dishes on Shabbat. FWIW, though, I have seen these for sale in my area.

http://www.kosherimage.com/toothcare2.html

I don't think the rules of Orthodox Judaism are "crazy". I do agree that many of them are detailed and may seem odd, and that the rationale isn't always obvious, and most of us have a sense of humour about it. If you look into the rules, though, many of them are based on detailed technical analysis of religious texts and deep discussions, as opposed to randon whackadoodle notion that someone decides is a message from above. Quirky rules that look like OCD are also balanced out by overall concepts like "pikuach nefesh", which basically means that saving a life is priority #1 and supercedes everything else. An Orthodox doctor, for example, may brush his teeth with a Shabbat toothbrush on Saturday, but then receive an urgent page from the hospital, make a call on a cell phone and drive to the hospital if a patient takes a turn for the worse, and its perfectly kosher.

It's related to the type of bristles used, and the type of toothpaste.

Personally, I suspect it's also related to the desire to market a new product, since bristles don't really absorb water and are therefore perfectly kosher in scrub brushes that are used instead of sponges to clean dishes on Shabbat. FWIW, though, I have seen these for sale in my area.

http://www.kosherimage.com/toothcare2.html

I don't think the rules of Orthodox Judaism are "crazy". I do agree that many of them are detailed and may seem odd, and that the rationale isn't always obvious, and most of us have a sense of humour about it. If you look into the rules, though, many of them are based on detailed technical analysis of religious texts and deep discussions, as opposed to randon whackadoodle notion that someone decides is a message from above. Quirky rules that look like OCD are also balanced out by overall concepts like "pikuach nefesh", which basically means that saving a life is priority #1 and supercedes everything else. An Orthodox doctor, for example, may brush his teeth with a Shabbat toothbrush on Saturday, but then receive an urgent page from the hospital, make a call on a cell phone and drive to the hospital if a patient takes a turn for the worse, and its perfectly kosher.

2xx2xy1JD, I'm so glad you posted that -- the very observant followers of the laws have always fascinated me! What would say are the motivations for doing so? A love of God and the law? of tradition? is there fear involved? When an observant person breaks a law, does s/he have a confessional ritual or prayers?

I ask all these in a simple spirit of information-gathering, not to mock in any way. Many TIA for any answers you feel like providing!!!!

GiGi_41 - good point, though I don't think it applies in this case, as there are two other toothbrushes in the holder which I'm assuming are hers - I don't recall her discussing a roommate, and there's definitely no live-in lover, and I don't think the dogs brush. :D

2xx1xy1JD - thanks very much for that. I love that the page you linked to discusses the bleeding gums thing and then advises that if you have problems, to see your rabbi *and* your dentist. (Who, of course, is a Nice Jewish Boy....) It's not just about religion, it's about good oral hygiene!

A shabbat toothbrush? I have never heard of this before. Wow. You learn something new every day.

Thanks for the link

Lucy...i didn't think about the dietary issue, which is an excellent point..truth be told I didn't get a chance to look at the blog yet so that's where I came up with the electric vs. manual thought and I know that orthodo Jews won't flip a switch or turn on anything electric.

2xx2xy1JD, I'm so glad you posted that -- the very observant followers of the laws have always fascinated me! What would say are the motivations for doing so? A love of God and the law? of tradition? is there fear involved? When an observant person breaks a law, does s/he have a confessional ritual or prayers?

I ask all these in a simple spirit of information-gathering, not to mock in any way. Many TIA for any answers you feel like providing!!!!

Motivations: These obviously vary. At the most basic level, there's the idea that these are commandments from the Ultimate Power Behind the Universe, so even if some of them don't seem to have an obvious reason, they should be followed because (1) when the Ulitmate Power tells you to do something, you do it, and (2) when you believe that the Ultimate Power is good, you feel that the rules are ultimately for your benefit whether or not you can see the immediate logic behind them. Those who focus more on (1) may be more motivated by fear than those who focus on (2). "Relationship" is also a motivation - doing the wrong thing is seen as putting something in the way of your relationship with G-d. The word used for repentance literally means "to return", and the concept is that G-d really wants to have a close relationship with us, but that we sometimes turn away.

Yes, there are prayers where Jews ask for forgiveness for sins. If someone sins, they can also sincerely regret their action, apologize to anyone that they have wronged if applicable, and work to do better in the future.

Beyond that, Judaism places a very high value on studying religious texts and learning to analyze the ancient discussions of religious law. Some people find the process really interesting and compelling.

For some people, observances and rituals are a practical way to connect with the Divine. One common line that is used is that it allows for everyday, mundane things to be elevated to the level of holiness. For example, you don't just brush your teeth on Saturday morning - you set aside one day of the week to be a holy day, and then it shows even in the small things that you do, like using a special toothbrush.

Some people observe out of a respect for tradition. Reconstructionist Jews, for example, see Judaism as a civilization so they'll observe things from the POV that "our ancestors did this as part of this great ancient civilization, so there's some value to it".

Some do it out of a sense of community and/or peer pressure. Some people are attracted to the observant lifestyle.

I think Judaism is probably the religion that would suit me the best, but I have to say that I find a lot of the rules of Orthodox Judaism odd and, while I enjoy Skylar's blog, I struggle to see what's the appeal to follow so many and so rigif rules for an outsider.

I think Judaism is probably the religion that would suit me the best, but I have to say that I find a lot of the rules of Orthodox Judaism odd and, while I enjoy Skylar's blog, I struggle to see what's the appeal to follow so many and so rigif rules for an outsider.

Check out Reform Judaism then! I converted Reform. I don't eat pork, shellfish or cheeseburgers, but I have no issue eating at not certified kosher restaurants and i'm sure i've had foods that have had stuff in it that I shouldn't eat, but when I'm pregnant I adopt a "don't' ask don't tell" if I'm craving something like Red Thai Curry that the menu claims is vegetarian.

I could never be Orthodox, I love my congregation, and they are an hour from doorstep to doorstep.

I don't GET Orthodox Judaism, but I kinda think of them as like, the family member that's just you know, a bit different and we love them for it.

I personally think her entry about the toothbrush was hilarious.

Check out Reform Judaism then! I converted Reform. I don't eat pork, shellfish or cheeseburgers, but I have no issue eating at not certified kosher restaurants and i'm sure i've had foods that have had stuff in it that I shouldn't eat, but when I'm pregnant I adopt a "don't' ask don't tell" if I'm craving something like Red Thai Curry that the menu claims is vegetarian.

I could never be Orthodox, I love my congregation, and they are an hour from doorstep to doorstep.

I don't GET Orthodox Judaism, but I kinda think of them as like, the family member that's just you know, a bit different and we love them for it.

LOL I didn't agree to kosher my kitchen until I found kosher both red and green Thai curry paste, along with coconut milk, at my local supermarket.

http://www.eastwest-food.co.il/ntext.asp?psn=10035

From an Orthodox Jewish POV, we know that we have weird and onerous rules, and honestly don't expect anyone else to follow them or convert to Judaism. There are 7 Rules for the Rest of the World (no murder, no stealing, no incest or adultery, no idolatry, no blasphemy, establish courts of law), and in all practicality that sometimes gets distilled down to just "don't kill us or ruin the world". There's a mystical idea that if you truly want to take on all the Orthodox Jewish rules, your soul was always meant to be Jewish.

Yeah, that's how I feel about Modern Orthodoxy. I feel that way about Ultra-Orthodoxy sometimes, but often they just make me angry and ashamed. But, I still feel like they're my relatives and that I am somehow accountable for teh crazy.

Also, I'm a Conservative Jew and I'll eat out vegetarian in restaurants. I'm pretty much vegetarian anyway, but even if I ate meat, I wouldn't eat it out at a non-kosher restaurant.

There are lots of ways to be Jewish, Dinorah, and if you feel a pull to it, don't reject it because of the obsessive rules of Orthodox Judaism. And if you don't feel a pull to it, then do whatever makes you lead a happy and fulfilled life :D

LOL I didn't agree to kosher my kitchen until I found kosher both red and green Thai curry paste, along with coconut milk, at my local supermarket.

http://www.eastwest-food.co.il/ntext.asp?psn=10035

From an Orthodox Jewish POV, we know that we have weird and onerous rules, and honestly don't expect anyone else to follow them or convert to Judaism. There are 7 Rules for the Rest of the World (no murder, no stealing, no incest or adultery, no idolatry, no blasphemy, establish courts of law), and in all practicality that sometimes gets distilled down to just "don't kill us or ruin the world". There's a mystical idea that if you truly want to take on all the Orthodox Jewish rules, your soul was always meant to be Jewish.

Dude, you just made my day. We don't keep Orthodox level kosher at home, but we do not mix meat and dairy, we don't allow treyf in the house, we generally buy only Kosher wine (about 2x a year I fall victim to the allure of "The Seven Deadly Zinns" and/or $2 chuck) and we try our hardest to make sure everything that needs a hecksher has one at home. This will make homemade thai curry (which i've been craving like crazy since I found out I'm preggers) easy to make at home instead of blowing all our cash at the thai take away! YUMYUMYUM

Glad to help. The Taste of Asia line, unlike some other kosher Asian products, is actually really good and tastes authentic, and the prices are in line with non-kosher products. It's really easy to make. Take some boneless chicken or tofu, cut into chunks and smear with thai curry paste, saute in big saute pan, add 1 Tbsp paste to 1 small can of coconut milk, mix and add to pan, then add a small package of mixed veggies. Cover, simmer and serve.

Also, I'm a Conservative Jew and I'll eat out vegetarian in restaurants. I'm pretty much vegetarian anyway, but even if I ate meat, I wouldn't eat it out at a non-kosher restaurant.

I'm trying to work my way up to this, but damn, it's harder than it sounds. Though the Chinese predilection for putting meat in everything doesn't help. Or I have no self control. Or possibly both. Ahem.

There are lots of ways to be Jewish, Dinorah, and if you feel a pull to it, don't reject it because of the obsessive rules of Orthodox Judaism. And if you don't feel a pull to it, then do whatever makes you lead a happy and fulfilled life :D

This! If you want to be Orthodox, that's great- be Orthodox. But if you feel a draw towards Judaism in some other form (be it Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, whatever), I say check it out and see what you think. There are those who will tell you (and me, for that matter) that if you don't convert with such-and-such group, then you're not "really" Jewish, but that only carries as much weight as you allow it to, IMHO. That's not to cast aspersions on Orthodoxy, as there's a lot about the Orthodox community and sensibility that I respect, but there are reasons that it wasn't for me that have less to do with halacha than they do with certain community norms, politics and the Orthodox conversion process (and I'm aware that "Orthodoxy" is a big tent, but I'm speaking of the majority of communities of which I could have been a part without the risk of having my conversion yanked after the fact).

Also, checking out a synagogue or going to a service isn't a lifetime commitment. If you're interested, most synagogues would be happy to have you come along and check things out, whether it's with an eye toward conversion or just out of curiosity.

I'm trying to work my way up to this, but damn, it's harder than it sounds. Though the Chinese predilection for putting meat in everything doesn't help. Or I have no self control. Or possibly both. Ahem.

I was taught that pork is Kosher when it's in Chinese food.

Wait, that isn't halachic?

:D

Well, it helps when you've been doing it your whole life, you don't like meat so you don't eat it anyway, and, you know, don't live in a country where the concept of vegetarianism isn't understood :D

But seriously, I have this book about being vegetarian in pretty much every country in the world and the basic gist of it as far as I understood it was, it's incredibly difficult to be vegetarian outside of the United States, India, and POSSIBLY Western Europe.

Indian restaurants are a lifesaver for us. They have their own reasons for making sure that vegetarian food is truly vegetarian, so I personally don't have a problem relying on them. They also make it possible to have a full, varied meal that includes protein without meat.

Indian restaurants are a lifesaver for us. They have their own reasons for making sure that vegetarian food is truly vegetarian, so I personally don't have a problem relying on them. They also make it possible to have a full, varied meal that includes protein without meat.

Yeah, I love Indian food. I periodically wonder why on earth I can't eat papadam on Passover instead of matzah (I mean, intellectually, I understand the reasons for matzah and the reasons why papadam does not fill that requirement not in the least that papadam is pretty much all kitniyot and I'm Ashkenazi, but STILL)

Can I ask something about Orthodox Judaism? I'm not Jewish, and my Jewish experience includes one Passover dinner at my friend's house (which I loved!)--they were not Orthodox, I don't know what kind they were, but they ate pork.

Anyways, why do the men have to study so much? What do they study? I can see having a Bible-study type thing, but it sounds like many Orthodox men spend most of their time in study, but they aren't all Rabbis, right?

While I could never, ever be an Orthodox Jew, (I'm a Christian, to start with) I think that blog is really interesting and often very very funny.

This! If you want to be Orthodox, that's great- be Orthodox. But if you feel a draw towards Judaism in some other form (be it Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, whatever), I say check it out and see what you think. There are those who will tell you (and me, for that matter) that if you don't convert with such-and-such group, then you're not "really" Jewish, but that only carries as much weight as you allow it to, IMHO. That's not to cast aspersions on Orthodoxy, as there's a lot about the Orthodox community and sensibility that I respect, but there are reasons that it wasn't for me that have less to do with halacha than they do with certain community norms, politics and the Orthodox conversion process (and I'm aware that "Orthodoxy" is a big tent, but I'm speaking of the majority of communities of which I could have been a part without the risk of having my conversion yanked after the fact).

Also, checking out a synagogue or going to a service isn't a lifetime commitment. If you're interested, most synagogues would be happy to have you come along and check things out, whether it's with an eye toward conversion or just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been drawn to Judaism all my life and the reason why for the time being I haven't actively sought conversion isn't related to Orthodoxy being too much, but rather to other concerns. I've got other things going on in my life, I still haven't sorted out what I believe exactly, I was raised Christian (Catholic) but no longer consider myself one, I believe in some kind of monotheistic entity but have lots of doubts, so my attraction to Judaism might be more cultural than religious. Plus I live in Europe, in an area where there aren't that many Jews and where Jewish communities, in my experience, tend to be somewhat wary of outsiders, outside of "open doors day at the synagogue" or similar events.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been drawn to Judaism all my life and the reason why for the time being I haven't actively sought conversion isn't related to Orthodoxy being too much, but rather to other concerns. I've got other things going on in my life, I still haven't sorted out what I believe exactly, I was raised Christian (Catholic) but no longer consider myself one, I believe in some kind of monotheistic entity but have lots of doubts, so my attraction to Judaism might be more cultural than religious. Plus I live in Europe, in an area where there aren't that many Jews and where Jewish communities, in my experience, tend to be somewhat wary of outsiders, outside of "open doors day at the synagogue" or similar events.

Having lots of doubts is part of Judaism. As in, having lots of doubts is acceptable and common throughout all branches about Judaism. Hell, the name that we are called in the Bible, Bnei Yisrael, the children of Israel means the children of the one that wrestled with God (i.e. Jacob). Of course, that wrestling was more physical, but I like to think that it is a metaphorical and an apt way to describe Jews.

Drawing the line between culture and religion in Judaism is difficult. It's cultural practice are often religious in nature, but if you appreciate the religious rituals of Judaism, it hardly matters if you believe in it word for word. For all intents and purposes, I'm an atheist. Or maybe a pantheist. Or maybe a panentheist. Whatever. I like to describe my beliefs about God with the Golda Meir quote "I believe in the Jewish people, and the Jewish people believe in God." But the religious aspects of Judaism still have meaning for me, even if they don't exactly match my personal theology.

Also, to be clear, I'm really not trying to push you into anything and I'm afraid that that's how I'm coming off. I'm really just trying to educate people about Judaism.

Also, I can understand that European Jews would be wary of outsiders. I spent a summer in Argentina where every Jewish institution has a blast wall thanks to the bombing of the AMIA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMIA_Bombing) and to gain entrance into synagogues you have to be with somebody who already belongs or somehow prove your Judaism. I can imagine they have a similar wariness in Europe.

Can I ask something about Orthodox Judaism? I'm not Jewish, and my Jewish experience includes one Passover dinner at my friend's house (which I loved!)--they were not Orthodox, I don't know what kind they were, but they ate pork.

Anyways, why do the men have to study so much? What do they study? I can see having a Bible-study type thing, but it sounds like many Orthodox men spend most of their time in study, but they aren't all Rabbis, right?

While I could never, ever be an Orthodox Jew, (I'm a Christian, to start with) I think that blog is really interesting and often very very funny.

I suspect they are faux Jews based on the pork thing. Even Reform Jews are not generally pork eaters, and no one would serve that at Passover. I have a really embarrassing story regarding shrimp, though. Our temple children's group was discussing Passover foods and my daughter suggested shrimp to deadening silence. My husband and kids love the stuff and apparently she did not realize that it was one of the foods Jews don't eat. :oops: She is good at getting her parents' religions mixed up or confused with each other. My rabbi usually will say, "Wrong religion, honey."

Archived