IGNORED

Why Fundies hate Disney

ladypuglover

A lot Disney movies show young adults leaving abusive or ordinary lives and going for bigger and better things. I can see why a lot of fundie parents wouldn't want to show their kids movies like that ;) Plus all the (non godly) singing, dancing, girls with seashell bras, shirtless guys, unmarried's kissing, and magic, that stuff probably hurts the movies too.

Oh unmarrieds kissing. My parents liked to hit the 'forward' button whenever there was premarital kissing, and if it was heavy making out (some stuff in Star Trek) they turned the monitor off while forwarding. They forwarded comical fight scenes for 'violence', and forwarded the fairy godmother song in Cinderella because 'she was casting a spell'. No joke.

The big hubub happened in the mid 90's when the southern baptists decided to boycott Disney because they offered benefits to same sex partners.

Exactly. There is also something called "Gay Days" at Disney, which is a week long celebration by the GLBT community. While Disney doesn't produce Gay Days, they do support it. Something tells me Disney isn't hurting over the fundie boycott at all.

And let's not forget that there's no way most of these fundie families could afford to go to Disney. Have you seen their prices lately? Easier to tell the kids no if you're "boycotting."

First hand knowledge here of animators trying to get naughty stuff through into the movies. They are, by in large, pervie little dorks ;) (said with much affection) This is not a conspiracy.

The fourth video is of The Wizard of Oz which was NOT Disney at all, but was a MGM film. I haven't watched the video yet, but it looks like they've got a bit of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon graphic added. It's just a serendipitous thing, but Dark Side of the Moon synchs pretty well/perfectly with TWOO as a soundtrack. There have been showings of TWOO with Dark Side of the Moon played as the film's soundtrack. It's pretty cool. Btw, the scene shown is where Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion are approaching the Emerald City. "We're out of the woods...."

Shotgun Opera, your uncle may have been a Mason, but I don't think your aunt was -unless things have really changed. My dad, my granddad and several uncles were Masons, but my mom was in the Order of the Eastern Star which is open to both women related to Masons and the Masons themselves. I helped Mom set up the lodge hall for meetings many times. The points of the star on the floor of the hall represent five women from the Bible. One thing I remember from Eastern Star meetings was the great pre-installation covered dish dinners. My mom's chapter had some wonderful cooks!

Oh yeah, the SEX thing in the cloud in The Lion King. That supposedly was found by a five year old. Really? A five year old kid did a frame-by-frame advance of the tape to be able to see that? And he could read SEX and knew what it meant?

I actually found the SEX thing just with very sharp eyes. It's quick, but it can be seen without playing the scene frame-by-frame.

It actually looks more like SFX, tbh, and was supposedly actually done by an animator who wanted to give a shout-out to the sound effects team.

Sharp eye that Scary Mary and Satan Pooh were the fakes. But how some people react to Disney I would think those 2 movie were the ones they were watching. I love Scary Mary as it really is spooky and well done.

My great grandfather was a Mason and I really can't see him doing anything with the load of crap conspiracists like to say. The man was a Methodist Minister for Christ's sake. :roll:

Oh unmarrieds kissing. My parents liked to hit the 'forward' button whenever there was premarital kissing, and if it was heavy making out (some stuff in Star Trek) they turned the monitor off while forwarding. They forwarded comical fight scenes for 'violence', and forwarded the fairy godmother song in Cinderella because 'she was casting a spell'. No joke.

Ha. we watched name of the rose in history class in 8th grade (i think). got to the NEKID sex scene, and the religion teacher got the remote to fast forward. unfortunately, he set it in slow motion, and 80 off 13 year olds got Christian Slaters butt in drawn out, resplendent glory. near hysteria broke out, and i remember another teacher leaving the room in disgust.

good times, i tell you.

Jaelh, we watched The Name of the Rose in AP European History (11th grade). During the sex scene, the teacher held up poster board and made up a story about what was happening that we couldn't see.

Ha. we watched name of the rose in history class in 8th grade (i think). got to the NEKID sex scene, and the religion teacher got the remote to fast forward. unfortunately, he set it in slow motion, and 80 off 13 year olds got Christian Slaters butt in drawn out, resplendent glory. near hysteria broke out, and i remember another teacher leaving the room in disgust.

good times, i tell you.

I'm thankful I went to public school where even the teachers made jokes about sex scenes that were fast forwarded through (like in "Braveheart" and "The Madness of King George"). We even got to see Olivia Hussey's boobs/the dude who plays Romeo's butt in the 1970s "Romeo and Juliet". :lol:

That third video is scary, whether that creature is supposed to be "Satan" or not. And most of the "SEX" shown in the "Beauty and the Beast" thing is barely apparent/a bad joke anyway- funny maybe to a eight year old who spots it. If I were an animator I would hide more defrauding words. 8-)

I personally love it when Disney throws in little things to amuse parents, like when Hercules is posing in a lion skin and it is the bad lion from the Lion King. I have gone through the suspicious part of the Lion King frame by frame looking for the "Sex" in the stars and I could never see it. The Little Mermaid penis I did find... once someone told me about it. srsly, the kids are not being harmed by this shit.

There's a picture of it on the Lion King Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_K ... troversies

The wheelers? Yeah they were freaky, though less so once their actual faces showed up.

i wanna see that movie now, just for the wheelers. they look awesome. :D

That Disney menstruation movie? I don't remember watching that exact movie, but I DO remember the "Very Personally Yours" booklet from Kotex (yes, I am old). It came as part of a gift pack with a belt and a starter supply of "sanitary napkins" (ask your mom...or grandma). Fortunately, I was about 9-10 when I learned "the facts of life" and by the time I actually needed "supplies," tampons were acceptable and widely available. Whew! (Especially because I was a gasp! "tomboy," although nowadays I would just be an athlete.)

As an aside, after the nice lady who gave us the after-school presentation (for girls and their moms only!) and then my mom explained everything, I remember thinking that was the MOST ridiculous thing I had ever heard. I had a baby brother, and his gadget sure didn't look capable of any of those shenanigans. Wonder if that's how all the virgin princesses think when they first get the news the day before their weddings? :lol: :lol: :lol:

good times, i tell you.

Truly excellent.

I'm thankful I went to public school where even the teachers made jokes about sex scenes that were fast forwarded through (like in "Braveheart" and "The Madness of King George"). We even got to see Olivia Hussey's boobs/the dude who plays Romeo's butt in the 1970s "Romeo and Juliet". :lol:

That third video is scary, whether that creature is supposed to be "Satan" or not. And most of the "SEX" shown in the "Beauty and the Beast" thing is barely apparent/a bad joke anyway- funny maybe to a eight year old who spots it. If I were an animator I would hide more defrauding words. 8-)

#1: slow-mo naked butt in a Christian school? :lol:

#2: we watched the 1970's Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade English and our teacher didn't censor it. I remember she called it a "flash of breast" to warn us, but I don't remember it being a big deal.

I've participated in debates where there were feminist moms who were against many of the Disney movies and were refusing to let their children watch them. I really don't care. I think you can raise a child watching these movies and guide them in understanding the historical context, and just plain fun aspects of a fairy tale without leaving a lasting impression that they have to live life that way. *shrugs*

Archived