IGNORED

Obstetrician Offers Michelle Duggar Advice

debrand

One of my coworkers had an extremely traumatic delivery this week. It was at our facility, so of course we all know and love her, and there were lots of tears.

Thankfully, she is doing well and so is her baby. However, she had an emergency c-section d/t the baby not tolerating pushing. Baby's heart had stopped during the pushing, and needed to be intubated at birth. Baby was sent by life flight to a hospital with a NICU. All is well now, but it was pretty damn scary.

Good outcomes are not a given, Michelle. You don't have a special line to God to protect your uterus. Do you remember to thank the doctors and nurses that saved you and Josie?

If you're looking for high-profile big families, former Canadian prime minister Jean Chretien (prime minister 1993-2003) was the 18th of 19 kids. Unfortunately, only 9 survived. As a pp said, families in Quebec were enormous at that time when the Catholic Church was still a huge influence....and the birthrate plummetted to one of the lowest in the world now.

I still don't understand why no doctor has told her "sorry but we have to remove your uterus, it's no longer functional" or some other BS so that she can't physically procreate anymore. I mean I guess it IS technically still functional, but if it's something that they know might put her life at risk, why leave it in?! Especially after Josie.

A friend of mine had her 3rd C-sec. The doctor told her, I'll do #5 and even #6 with you, don't worry your uterus looks great.

Apparently not all uterus heal the same, some are very good at getting better after a C-sec than others. The doc also told her that some women after just one C-sec their uterus gets all fucked up.

Now of course she should IMO focus on the other 19 with emotional and physical needs.

I still don't understand why no doctor has told her "sorry but we have to remove your uterus, it's no longer functional" or some other BS so that she can't physically procreate anymore. I mean I guess it IS technically still functional, but if it's something that they know might put her life at risk, why leave it in?! Especially after Josie.

Because her uterus belongs to her, not her doctor.

There are so many cases of poor, disabled and minority women being involuntarily sterilised by medical professionals. It should never happen to anyone.

There are so many cases of poor, disabled and minority women being involuntarily sterilised by medical professionals. It should never happen to anyone.

It shouldn't happen to anyone, you're right. For some reason I feel like they should totally sterilize her though. Totally against my libertarian views but for her own safety, get that ute out of there!

It shouldn't happen to anyone, you're right. For some reason I feel like they should totally sterilize her though. Totally against my libertarian views but for her own safety, get that ute out of there!

A libertarian who think the authorities should interfere in the lives of people she doesn't approve of. I wish I were surprised.

A friend of mine had her 3rd C-sec. The doctor told her, I'll do #5 and even #6 with you, don't worry your uterus looks great.

Apparently not all uterus heal the same, some are very good at getting better after a C-sec than others. The doc also told her that some women after just one C-sec their uterus gets all fucked up.

Now of course she should IMO focus on the other 19 with emotional and physical needs.

My mom had 6 C-sections, one for each of us kids. She tried to give birth naturally with me, but soon discovered that we got the (literally) big heads from my dad's side of the family. So, it is possible for the uterus to heal properly to sustain some big babies to term. But 6 kids don't come anywhere near as close as 20--the C-sections for that would DEFINITELY be higher-risk.

I'm scared for #20.

This. I support her right to make her own choices about what she does with said uterus, but I'm reserving the right to disapprove like crazy.

This. I support her right to make her own choices about what she does with said uterus, but I'm reserving the right to disapprove like crazy.

Oh, I am ALL OVER judging her for being selfish and insane. Because she is.

Freedom of choice is meaningless if you have to add "as long as I agree with your choices".

Her body, her uterus, her life. I'll criticize her choices, but wouldn't take them away.

In any event, a doctor who falsified medical records to create a phony diagnose in order to perform major unnecessary surgery because he or she was imposing their own values and ignoring those of the patient would quickly face a lawsuit and being stripped of their medical licence.

In any event, a doctor who falsified medical records to create a phony diagnose in order to perform major unnecessary surgery because he or she was imposing their own values and ignoring those of the patient would quickly face a lawsuit and being stripped of their medical licence.

I believe I would be first in line holding a pitchfork.

A libertarian who think the authorities should interfere in the lives of people she doesn't approve of. I wish I were surprised.

:lol: I know what you mean.

I feel sorry for the wife of Feodor Vassilyev described in that article. Not only did she have to endure 27 pregnancies - and multiple pregnancies yet (16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets - 67 "surviving children" (obviously not surviving more than two centuries later)!!!) and a lot of childbirthing back in the day where pregnancy and childbirth was even riskier), but she does not even get to be remembered by her own name, just as "the wife of Feodor" and mother of an insane number of children.

She has a lot working against her. She is on her 18th (19th if you count her m/c) pregnancy. So her uterus is being stretched for the 18th time. Two of those pregnancies were twins, causing even more stretching. She has had multiple c-sections, resulting in lots of scar tissue and further weakening of her uterus. She has had preeclampsia twice, increasing the odds of her getting it again. Her last c-section was most likely a vertical rather than horizontal incision (vertical is usally used on micropreemies), which also greatly weakens her uterus. On top of all of this many of her pregancies were nearly back to back, not allowing her body time to heal properly. I would think with all of this combined that her risk for uterine rupture is very high, especially if she goes into labor before her scheduled c-section. I hope for her children's sakes that everything turns out ok. I do have a feeling this will be her last, mostly because I think there is a good chance that her uterus will rupture during delivery and the doctors will have to perform an emergency hysterectomy.

If you're looking for high-profile big families, former Canadian prime minister Jean Chretien (prime minister 1993-2003) was the 18th of 19 kids. Unfortunately, only 9 survived. As a pp said, families in Quebec were enormous at that time when the Catholic Church was still a huge influence....and the birthrate plummetted to one of the lowest in the world now.

Yeah...

My grandma's family of 8 in Quebec City in the 30's was considered small.

Thank you, absolutely agree.

My great-grandmother had 21; 17 survived to adulthood.

I've had 3 c-sections, and my OB said my uterus looks great, but that I'm definitely the exception rather than the rule, from what he's seen.

She has a lot working against her. She is on her 18th (19th if you count her m/c) pregnancy. So her uterus is being stretched for the 18th time. Two of those pregnancies were twins, causing even more stretching. She has had multiple c-sections, resulting in lots of scar tissue and further weakening of her uterus. She has had preeclampsia twice, increasing the odds of her getting it again. Her last c-section was most likely a vertical rather than horizontal incision (vertical is usally used on micropreemies), which also greatly weakens her uterus. On top of all of this many of her pregancies were nearly back to back, not allowing her body time to heal properly. I would think with all of this combined that her risk for uterine rupture is very high, especially if she goes into labor before her scheduled c-section. I hope for her children's sakes that everything turns out ok. I do have a feeling this will be her last, mostly because I think there is a good chance that her uterus will rupture during delivery and the doctors will have to perform an emergency hysterectomy.

One can only hope that she is in a hospital, with excellent immediately available services, to include a fantastic gyn surgeon and a great blood bank.

I spent many years working in transfusion services (i.e. blood bank), and I have delivered blood for uterine ruptures. Literally, they can be bloodier than ruptured aortic aneurysms, or a lot of trauma cases. Also, I have seen obstetricians whose patients thought they were great lose it with these; the gyn surgeons that have the skills to deal well with them are few and far between. Just an insider viewpoint on this.

J'Uterus is definitely high risk in terms of her pregnancy. However, the odds are still very much in her favor for having a healthy baby. Her uterus has sustained some trauma, but from the TMI we have, it appears to be in reasonably good shape all things considered. Her age adds some increased risk of genetic anomaly, but not so much that it is a foregone conclusion by any means. Lots of women her age elect to get pregnant (although they often need some hormonal help).

The greatest risk is to her personal health and safety. She has already been pre-eclamptic, I think twice. Her chances of developing this condition again are in the "very likely" range. The gall bladder issue was not the red herring cause of this condition. It was advanced maternal age and grand multiparity. She still has those risk factors. Also, the rule is pretty much that once a woman develops the condition, she is pretty much certain to do so again.

She will need to have her health and the fetus's health monitored very closely. I expect she will be at mostly bed rest at any sign of increased BP or protein in her urine. The birth will almost certainly be C-section because I think that her doc will yank that babe as soon as they can mature the lungs if J'chelle begins to get sick. It will make for some dramatic TV. And she is also high risk for twins as well.

If this pregnancy is properly managed, the odds are definitely in favor of a good outcome. And I do think that J'chelle will follow the program. She obviously desperately wants #20. My guess is that after this delivery, J'chelle will be a little bit faded physically. I think she worked hard to recover her health prior to this pregnancy and this will help her through, but it is going to kick her butt. The recovery will be slower. Besides, since this really is likely to be the end of the baby machine, she needs a new gig. Martyr for the glory of god seems a convenient choice.

Archived